Twitter: Snap counts vs ‘Hawks

SackMaster

Reaction score
I kind of understand why our "NTs" don't get a lot of snaps in blowouts when teams are forced to pass a lot, but when it was a 1 score game for virtually the whole game, why is Hankins and Mazi combining for < 60% of the snaps in a game?
  • 27 + 11 = 38
  • 38 / 69 = 55.1%
This isn't an anti-Mazi take. I like the kid and think he can develop into a great player.

But when you are playing the "run stuffing" DTs so little, why would you use a premium pick on a position you don't seem to value / utilize very much?

Even with Hankins, having possibly his best game so far this year, he didn't even reach 40% of the D snaps.

IDK man. I was excited for the Mazi pick, but can understand the backlash since Dallas doesn't use the Big Boy DTs very much.

</rant>
:angry:

blueblood70

Reaction score
..what's scary, Evans had 3 snaps. One was PI for 1st n goal.
Not a way to impress yourself.
I was huffing on that play. What was he doing in the secondary?
To be honest though as good as Wagner is he was getting lit up when he had to cover guys he could not cover it's hard for most linebackers to be covering a target that can catch the football dragging them down the field especially late in games I watch Wagner at least on two plays and I believe he got a pass interference on one I mean yes he's a better player but in the end it's still a linebacker trying to cover somebody they should never be in position to cover..

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Evans with only 3..wth did we even sign him for.
I think we have to remember that guys signed off the trash heap are always long shots. Those guys are available for a reason. Occasionally a guy like that works out but the odds are extremely slim.

Put it another way. Snap counts usually reflect what the coaches believe gives us the best chance to win. We don’t see practice habits, game plans in advance, special teams needs, etc. Those things all play a big role in snap counts.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Seattle threw the ball 41 times vs 22 runs. Evans is clearly a run first player and showed by that awful PI that he is a liability in coverage. I would expect that he gets more snaps against a run heavy team like Philly.

Mark

Reaction score
I don't know, but Hunter Luepke had such a great pre-season, I thought he would get a few more looks to touch the ball on offense this season.
Was thinking the same. He only has three carries (one for a TD) this season.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Sam Willaims needs more snaps fer sure.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I kind of understand why our "NTs" don't get a lot of snaps in blowouts when teams are forced to pass a lot, but when it was a 1 score game for virtually the whole game, why is Hankins and Mazi combining for < 60% of the snaps in a game?
  • 27 + 11 = 38
  • 38 / 69 = 55.1%
This isn't an anti-Mazi take. I like the kid and think he can develop into a great player.

But when you are playing the "run stuffing" DTs so little, why would you use a premium pick on a position you don't seem to value / utilize very much?

Even with Hankins, having possibly his best game so far this year, he didn't even reach 40% of the D snaps.

IDK man. I was excited for the Mazi pick, but can understand the backlash since Dallas doesn't use the Big Boy DTs very much.

</rant>
:angry:
While it was a close game Seattle was never much of a threat to run the football. They threw the ball about 67% of plays they ran and on their 22 runs for the night they only went for 72 yards. So if Seattle is only running the ball around 1/3rd of the time why would you want Mazi/Hankins on the field north of 60% of snaps? I think DQ was simply adjusting to what Seattle was doing here. Had Kenneth Walker been healthy this may have been a different type of game.

The other thing to keep in mind is that when Mazi is coming onto the field he's often replacing OSA and not Hankins as many think he's doing. He lines up in a 3/4T just as often as he is a 1T, however to be fair I don't know if that holds true for this game or not. OSA was probably the best defender on that night so it was probably difficult to get him off the field and get Mazi snaps in addition to Gallimore & Golston....although I'm not sure why Gallimore is getting many snaps.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Schoonmaker only 28%. Mazi 16%. But don’t worry, they have the most ‘upside.’ :muttley:
I get the schoonmaker doubt but people doubting mazi are silly. You don't judge interior players in year 1. If next year he's looking the same then there's a problem.

RS12

Reaction score
In decades of watching FB, that PI penalty was one of the worst and most obvious i have ever seen on a veteran defender.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I get the schoonmaker doubt but people doubting mazi are silly. You don't judge interior players in year 1. If next year he's looking the same then there's a problem.
Then why is every DT drafted in the 1st round this year getting more than double the snaps of Mazi each game?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
besides Carter which one is doing anything with their snaps?
Go check the 2023 draft list in first round and profootballreference season snap counts. I did recently. Guarantee you’ll find 50% snaps (or very close) for every first round DT except Mazi who is closer to 20%.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Go check the 2023 draft list in first round and profootballreference season snap counts. I did recently. Guarantee you’ll find 50% snaps (or very close) for every first round DT except Mazi who is closer to 20%.
Based on pff the only 1st round dt playing well is carter. So again, what do snaps matter if you aren't playing well anyway? Judge them after next year.....or do what you want

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Based on pff the only 1st round dt playing well is carter. So again, what do snaps matter if you aren't playing well anyway? Judge them after next year.....or do what you want
I’m debating with myself whether or not to spend energy to continue this argument. One thing is for sure, our team must have the most long-term developmental prospects of any NFL team based on what I read weekly on any young guy here who looks underwhelming.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I think Mazi couldn’t find the field bc DQ couldn’t get to Geno at all. Geno lit them boys up

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I’m debating with myself whether or not to spend energy to continue this argument. One thing is for sure, our team must have the most long-term developmental prospects of any NFL team based on what I read weekly on any young guy here who looks underwhelming.
1 year is egregious for a rookie dt? Yeah maybe you should bow out. Yikes

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Mazi doesn't play more not because of run/pass or any of that. He doesn't play more because right now he's terrible. I know on one of those 11 snaps he got pancaked on a single block.

We have to hope he takes a huge step forward in the offseason, because right now it doesn't look good at all. If Hankins got hurt, we'd be in really bad shape there.

But this is another reason I find all the Schoonmaker consternation so strange. He's contributing quite a bit more than the guy taken a round before him.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
1 year is egregious for a rookie dt? Yeah maybe you should bow out. Yikes
giphy.gif

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Mazi doesn't play more not because of run/pass or any of that. He doesn't play more because right now he's terrible. I know on one of those 11 snaps he got pancaked on a single block.

We have to hope he takes a huge step forward in the offseason, because right now it doesn't look good at all. If Hankins got hurt, we'd be in really bad shape there.

But this is another reason I find all the Schoonmaker consternation so strange. He's contributing quite a bit more than the guy taken a round before him.
My two cents, Schoon will contribute more long-term but neither give me faith they will get past their rookie contracts here.