Snap counts vs the Browns

conner01

Reaction score
Zeke looked good I’ll give him credit, he’s not 2016 Zeke but he’s also not 2022 zeke
Looks thinner. He’s just not quick as he was but he’s a gamer who is a great blocker. Not likely to happen but if a RB became available I’d be looking

Jipper

Reaction score
Looks thinner. He’s just not quick as he was but he’s a gamer who is a great blocker. Not likely to happen but if a RB became available I’d be looking
Yeah that one block on the blitz pickup was amazing

Jipper

Reaction score
I was hard on him before the season/during the season, he played solid and I can admit to saying that, who else will say this!!???
I wasn’t hard on him I just didn’t see why we signed him vs other options. I will admit he looked fresh yesterday and I’m not as worried about the running game as I was

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
yeah, but that's game one against one of the better defensive lines in football...so a good showing and can only get better.
Yeah, they won’t be facing Garrett every game. MM outcoached the Browns all game And both Guyton and Steele played pretty well against him. Guyton gave up that sack as Garretts speed and strength took him by surprise initially. But he adapted. Good stuff.

heir

Reaction score
Even though he only had 23 snaps, he had the most of any 1 tech at 30%, with Philips at 205 and Joseph at 17%. I think this rotation is a great thing and hopefully he can keep it up.and show some promise.
Sorry, should have said 20%

conner01

Reaction score
Osa playing 80% at DT is a lot of snaps
Young guys on oline did a really nice job. Be interesting to see all the grades since you can’t see much on tv
LB is a real strength
Young CB did a nice job for a rookie who wasn’t a top pick
Looked like a lot of creativity in handling their pass rush
Zeke played a good game but I miss the days we could lean on the run game
Really wanted to see the 71 yard attempt but I get the risk of trying it
Clock management isn’t really McCarthy strong suit but sure seemed like the click didn’t reset properly either

conner01

Reaction score
How are you feeling about the rbs
We lack young talent but it is what it is. We just need to keep Zeke on a pitch count to not wear him down. We certainly aren’t gonna beat many teams with our run game and not likely any options to improve it other than our young oline getting better and better. They were impressive yesterday against a good defense

gtb1943

Reaction score
Yeah that one block on the blitz pickup was amazing
That was what they needed him for the most yesterday: the worry about pass blocking meant they needed their best pass blocking RB there to pick up leakage or buy Dak time om blitzes.

gtb1943

Reaction score
so Liufau only played 9 snaps.he is the starter in name only.If we are not going to play Deuce then its better we give Ryan Flournoy a chance .
he got two solo tackles on those nine snaps which was pretty good. Looks like a rotational guy which you need.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Mazi comes out when the Cowboys are expecting a pass. He is replaced by Golston. Mazi was the only NT that played in the first half. Joseph and Phillips did not come in until the 3rd quarter.
good news bad news:
good news is we have a good rotation
bad news if any of them were really outstanding they would have gotten more snaps

Creeper

Reaction score
good news bad news:
bad news if any of them were really outstanding they would have gotten more snaps
Joseph has to get into shape. Phillips looks average to me. He plays high which for a NT is not a good thing, which is why he calls himself a 3T - and that is what he played yesterday.

I watched Mazi closely yesterday and I thought he looked okay. Not great, but much improved over last year. I think this is what we wanted to see - improvement. He and Joseph may make a pretty good NT rotation. Osa had a lot of plays yesterday too. I think they need someone to give him a rest. Phillips could be that guy, especially on running downs.

By the way, it was a small sample size, but I thought Joseph showed some good strength and push inside. I think he will be as good as if not better than Hankins in time.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Impressive win against a very tough team.
Here are the snap counts from game 1 and what stood out:
  • Tyler Guyton and Terance Steele the only players who played every snap on offense or defense.
  • Zeke Elliott had 32 snaps and had 10 carries for 40 yards.
  • Rico Dowdle had 28 snaps; 8 carries for 28 yards.
  • DeMarvion Overshown had 11 tackles on 44 snaps!
  • Marshawn Kneeland had 44 snaps.
  • MaziSmith only had 23 snaps.
What jumps out to you?

It should be noted on Mazi that he didn't play late in the game when we were ahead and brought in several "backups." Kind of like we brought in Mukuamu late for 16% of the defensive snaps and Nick Vigil playing 33% of the snaps at linebacker. In addition to not playing on most passing downs, Mazi was off the field early because of the big lead.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
good news bad news:
Not in this game. Odighizuwa, at 80%, is the only one who is going to get that amount because he can play all three downs. Joseph and Phillips are rotational players so they are going to hover around 20% unless Mazi is bad, then there numbers will go up. Mazi's numbers will be lower than Odig's because he is a primarily a run-downs player. So his snaps will be 50% or less. In this game, it was less because he wasn't in after we got a big lead.

I did expect Phillips to eat up more of Osa's early-down snaps at 3-tech, but we mainly just seemed to use him after the game was out of reach.

John813

Reaction score
Was surprised to see Luepke out there that much to start the year. Saw him at FB, H-back and even on the end of the line as a TE.
He was also given some medium-deep routes too. Curious to see his usage next week if in fact Ferg misses games.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

Impressive win against a very tough team.
Here are the snap counts from game 1 and what stood out:
  • Tyler Guyton and Terance Steele the only players who played every snap on offense or defense.
  • Zeke Elliott had 32 snaps and had 10 carries for 40 yards.
  • Rico Dowdle had 28 snaps; 8 carries for 28 yards.
  • DeMarvion Overshown had 11 tackles on 44 snaps!
  • Marshawn Kneeland had 44 snaps.
  • MaziSmith only had 23 snaps.
What jumps out to you?

People were worried about Guyton and yet it was Zack Martin that almost got Dak killed out there. Football is a funny game sometimes.