SNF- What’s the Al Michaels “Over/Under”?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
There were none "far better" in terms of catch merit as far back as I can remember. What you are describing, like Bob in this thread, are more "important" catches not better catches. Name the "far better" catches on the basis of the catch itself, not what time of the year it happened to be.

There have been athletic catches forever, I mean Jesus, I remember Brandon Lloyd pretty much breaking his spine on the sideline to catch a pass when he was with the Rams for his short stint.

However you slice it, the David Tyree catch is a greater catch than the one you are referring to. The fingertip catch in the 49ers vs. Cowboys game is a greater and far more iconic catch...

That's two off the top of my head. Both ARE greater, by that definition, than this silly catch. One got 7 points, the other two catches went on to help win a Super Bowl and a championship game. The 49ers actually credit Clark's catch for starting the dynasty....

These are greater catches in far more important moments in a game. If you want to say it's the most athletic catch, then go ahead, I really don't give a damn and I'm not about to go through decades of football to counter it. But "greatest" is highly debatable, and frankly, a debate you will lose.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
There have been athletic catches forever, I mean Jesus, I remember Brandon Lloyd pretty much breaking his spine on the sideline to catch a pass when he was with the Rams for his short stint.

However you slice it, the David Tyree catch is a greater catch than the one you are referring to. The fingertip catch in the 49ers vs. Cowboys game is a greater and far more iconic catch...

That's two off the top of my head. Both ARE greater, by that definition, than this silly catch. One got 7 points, the other two catches went on to help win a Super Bowl and a championship game. The 49ers actually credit Clark's catch for starting the dynasty....

These are greater catches in far more important moments in a game. If you want to say it's the most athletic catch, then go ahead, I really don't give a damn and I'm not about to go through decades of football to counter it. But "greatest" is highly debatable, and frankly, a debate you will lose.

Exactly my point. You think those catches you named were more important like I said, not necessarily better.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Exactly my point. You think those catches you named were more important like I said, not necessarily better.

For something to be "Greatest catch" you need to take into account the entire picture. If Odell made that fingertip catch and it was for 10 yards, it wouldn't be remembered. It's remembered because it was a deep pass and it got 7 points. Yes, a really good catch.

Now, you have to do this with the other great catches. You know, like taking into account the Tyree catch happened on a play that broke down and the WRs started to free style, the pass got lobbed with a prayer to the middle of the field with Tyree having a player draped on him to get the ball latched onto his helmet to help set up the game winning TD.

Similar thing with the rollout by Montana and getting the ball to Clark to needing to go above the world and fingertip catching the football in a championship game.

Importance factors into the greatness of a catch. You think pressure situations with everything on the line doesn't make a catch tougher than it would normally be? There is a reason why clutch is an important trait in sports and not every athlete has it.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
For something to be "Greatest catch" you need to take into account the entire picture. If Odell made that fingertip catch and it was for 10 yards, it wouldn't be remembered. It's remembered because it was a deep pass and it got 7 points. Yes, a really good catch.

Now, you have to do this with the other great catches. You know, like taking into account the Tyree catch happened on a play that broke down and the WRs started to free style, the pass got lobbed with a prayer to the middle of the field with Tyree having a player draped on him to get the ball latched onto his helmet to help set up the game winning TD.

Similar thing with the rollout by Montana and getting the ball to Clark to needing to go above the world and fingertip catching the football in a championship game.

Importance factors into the greatness of a catch. You think pressure situations with everything on the line doesn't make a catch tougher than it would normally be? There is a reason why clutch is an important trait in sports and not every athlete has it.

No, I don't have to do anything. I clearly stated what standard I was using. Bob said he uses a different standard and you apparently use a similar one. So I don't care if it was a 10-yard catch or a 99-yard bomb. A leaping, full-extension, one-handed, fingertip grab of a ball after being interfered with tops anything I've ever seen and I've seen Cris Carter make some nice one-handed grabs back in the day. No one has produced anything even close to OBJ's catch so they go to "important" catches to attempt to diminish it. It's a free country.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
No, I don't have to do anything. I clearly stated what standard I was using. Bob said he uses a different standard and you apparently use a similar one. So I don't care if it was a 10-yard catch or a 99-yard bomb. A leaping, full-extension, one-handed, fingertip grab of a ball after being interfered with tops anything I've ever seen and I've seen Cris Carter make some nice one-handed grabs back in the day. No one has produced anything even close to OBJ's catch so they go to "important" catches to attempt to diminish it. It's a free country.

And I'm saying your standard is wrong, because it is. All that resulted from that Beckham catch was 7 points, it was an athletic play....it wasn't a great catch.

Get back to me when Odell makes a catch like that in an important game in an important situation. The last important game he played, he led the game in drops by a receiver...

MarcusRock

Reaction score
And I'm saying your standard is wrong, because it is. All that resulted from that Beckham catch was 7 points, it was an athletic play....it wasn't a great catch.

Get back to me when Odell makes a catch like that in an important game in an important situation. The last important game he played, he led the game in drops by a receiver...

Wasn't a great catch? LOL. Something tells me you believe in conspiracy theories against the Cowboys too. I just have a feeling.