SNF: What will the Dallas Cowboys' record be after week 10?

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
With a HC in the last year of his contract, the biggest danger for this team in 2024 will be getting off to a bad start. If this team is 3-6 or even 4-5, the “quit on the lame duck head coach” comes into play.

Hope it doesn’t happen but it could be a Wade Phillips Part II situation.
I hear fans worry every year about the team “quitting” on the head coach.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I think all those teams take a step back.
Yes it seems Dallas may well take a step back as well.

Steelers are not as good as their record showed they were. They were lucky to make the playoffs the past few years or so.
Maybe Baltimore stays the same, but I still say they go and Lamar goes most of the time. To me he is or can be too inconsistent a good part of the time.

Edit:
I just looked. Just in FA, I did not look at the draft yet.
Nor did I really compare if what they lost vs. what they gained, other than a quick look. Seems all lost better players than gained.
Of course the holds true for many successful teams.

SF lost 8 players, gained 5
Detroit, lost 3 gained 4
Pittsburgh lost 3 gained 3
Cleveland lost 7 gain 3
Baltimore lost 12 gamine 2, which the biggest of course was Henry. 12 players lost in FA, and signed 2, and our fans complain about replacing a few starters.
12 is a lot of players to lose in FA. Last year SF lost 9 players, this year 8. Their depth took a hit.
The fans here tend to give other teams a lot more leeway than their purported own when a truly unbiased fan would give each teams strengths and weaknesses the same critical eye.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm saying 2-7 because I've seen how Dak performs against uper tier defenses with good qbs. It's bad. Real bad. Niners, Bills, GB ring a bell? And GB was really a middling defense.

We lost an all pro LT and a solid C. I know there's a lot of people thinking losing Tyron for Guyton is going to be fine but that's more based on hope than anything. Beebe might be the answer at C, but we don't know that for sure.

If history is an indicator, our turnovers on defense that helped us win so many games last year are about to evaporate under Zimmer. Defense will probably still be solid with the talent we have but I don't expect it to be better.

I hope we win the SB, but that's always the hope. Realistically looking at this schedule, I can see them winning as many as 4 and as few as 1 over that stretch. They better beat the Saints because 0-3 looks real possible if not. And I think the wheels would all start flying off at that point.
Funny how the Dak blind refuses to admit that Dak performs horribly against teams like the teams you quote above.
They like to be here and hail his greatness when we beat teams like the Giants,D.C. and the Panthers.
And they call us Eagles fans for not being here to celebrate the DOG WINS.
There will be lots of playoff teams in the first 10 weeks and with a less talented team and teammates that don't believe in Dak this will get ugly fast for us, unfortunately...

Hadenough

Reaction score
I am really considering going to the Ravens game but will likely wait 2-3 weeks into the season before buying tickets. I might catch a game before Week 10 if the team looks as if has regressed more than I might have expected.
If I go to the Ravens game I'm cheering like crazy for Lamar Jackson and Derek Henry!

Flamma

Reaction score
I picked 4-5. I can see 3-6 as the floor, I just can't see 2-7. If we're 2-7, might as well say we'll be 2-8, because we're not beating Houston. A 2-8 team is Giants type garbage. Do we think the Cowboys will be as bad as the Giants were last year? I wouldn't blame Jerry for not paying anyone if that was the case. What's the point?

shabazz

Reaction score
With a HC in the last year of his contract, the biggest danger for this team in 2024 will be getting off to a bad start. If this team is 3-6 or even 4-5, the “quit on the lame duck head coach” comes into play.

Hope it doesn’t happen but it could be a Wade Phillips Part II situation.
If MM was to get the ax, my guess would be after the Texans game where we could conceivably be 3-7......being humiliated by the other Texas team is something that could trigger Mr Jones.

Just speculating of course

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If MM was to get the ax, my guess would be after the Texans game where we could conceivably be 3-7......being humiliated by the other Texas team is something that could trigger Mr Jones.

Just speculating of course
Good point.

The thing that I hate about having a head coach on the final year of a deal is it increases the chances of a season going south after a bad start. Not a guarantee but the players can’t help but think, “Are we going to bust our behinds for a guy who won’t be here next year?” I’m not saying that’s good or fair…just saying.

Put it another way, it is no secret that Mike McCarthy is on the hot seat. The stakes are high. If the team comes out flat to start the season, it may be a short season for Big Mac. Hope not. We’ll see.

Zman5

Reaction score
10-0.

Dak will play so well the NFL will give us a win for the bye week.