SNL has had some good episodes lately

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Some of the regular cast is just annoying, but with the right hosts, some of the episodes have had really great moments.

This week's Christmas show has Kate McKinnon hosting, and while she tends to be over the top at times, this episode is well worth watching. Weekend Update is particularly hilarious. Being the Christmas show, Collin and Michael give each other jokes to read, which the reader never having seen until that moment. (As has become tradition with them.)

If you don't want to watch the whole show, at least watch that part.

Vagabond

Reaction score
Some of the regular cast is just annoying, but with the right hosts, some of the episodes have had really great moments.

This week's Christmas show has Kate McKinnon hosting, and while she tends to be over the top at times, this episode is well worth watching. Weekend Update is particularly hilarious. Being the Christmas show, Collin and Michael give each other jokes to read, which the reader never having seen until that moment. (As has become tradition with them.)

Not anymore. Just a shadow of its former self.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not anymore. Just a shadow of its former self.
Which is why I'm saying they've had some good episodes lately. I'm guessing you haven't watched any of them lately. They have some episodes that are just terrible (though Weekend Update usually has at least a few good laughs) but like I said, it depends on who the host is.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which is why I'm saying they've had some good episodes lately. I'm guessing you haven't watched any of them lately. They have some episodes that are just terrible (though Weekend Update usually has at least a few good laughs) but like I said, it depends on who the host is.

Agreed. I just catch the good clips on YouTube

Collin and Michael's joke writing for each other is always funny. Kate Mc is usually pretty funny, the alien abduction skits are hilarious

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Agreed. I just catch the good clips on YouTube

Collin and Michael's joke writing for each other is always funny. Kate Mc is usually pretty funny, the alien abduction skits are hilarious
She was one of CC's favorite SNLers, and he would have liked this episode.

timb2

Reaction score
Haven't really watched SNL since Will Ferrell,Chris Farley,Mike Myers,and crew left. The new group is just not as funny. I wish " In Living Color" was still around because nothing was Off Limits which is why they were so funny.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Haven't really watched SNL since Will Ferrell,Chris Farley,Mike Myers,and crew left. The new group is just not as funny. I wish " In Living Color" was still around because nothing was Off Limits which is why they were so funny.
A few years back, when Kristen Wiig was there, it was pretty consistently funny.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

I usually catch Weekend Update Youtube clips. I agree, good stuff. SNL does feel a little more host driven these days. I disagree with those though who say the quality is lower, I think it’s probably the same as it’s always been. Easy to forget there were a lot of dead air episodes too in the days of cast members who are now movie stars.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I usually catch Weekend Update Youtube clips. I agree, good stuff. SNL does feel a little more host driven these days. I disagree with those though who say the quality is lower, I think it’s probably the same as it’s always been. Easy to forget there were a lot of dead air episodes too in the days of cast members who are now movie stars.
There were definitely eras that were more consistently funny. The original cast, the cast with Eddie Murphy, and the Kristen Wiig days were all better on average. But the host definitely makes a big difference lately. Whenever Justin Timberlake hosted, you knew it was going to hilarious, for example.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
There were definitely eras that were more consistently funny. The original cast, the cast with Eddie Murphy, and the Kristen Wiig days were all better on average. But the host definitely makes a big difference lately. Whenever Justin Timberlake hosted, you knew it was going to hilarious, for example.
I think the only bad cast was the year between the Belushi/Akroyd/GildaRadner and Murphy/Piscopo/BillyCrystal years. There was another cast that didn’t last more than a year after Eddie Murphy and before the Dana Carvey/Phil Hartman years, but even they were loaded with talent like Robert Downey Jr, Damon Wayans and Julia Louise Dreyfuss. I remember watching the first episode of the ‘new guys’ after Sandler, Myers, Norm, Rock, Farley, etc and thinking who are these bozos, they‘re not funny at all. Years later I eat those words realizing it was Will Ferrell, Darrell Hammond, Colin Quinn, Jimmy Fallon, etc.. Amazing how much talent they find for that show. Even the list of people who Lorne Michaels regrets he rejected is impressive LOL - Jim Carrey, Kevin Hart, Stephen Colbert, Donald Glover, etc.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wig, Armisen and Hader doing the californians...when Hader would lose it and start cracking up was hilarious.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Wig, Armisen and Hader doing the californians...when Hader would lose it and start cracking up was hilarious.
Oh yeah, The Californians was always good for a cast break! Also, Hader doing 'Stephon' on Weekend Update. I didn't really care for him a lot of the time, but that skit always killed me.

triplets_93

Reaction score
The cold opening with the Congressional hearing was one of the worst cold openings ever. Bad acting?? No, just horrible writing for SNL's writers. I saw it, and I read several threads on it in the Reddit Live From New York sub.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The cold opening with the Congressional hearing was one of the worst cold openings ever. Bad acting?? No, just horrible writing for SNL's writers. I saw it, and I read several threads on it in the Reddit Live From New York sub.
I very rarely like the opening skits, and that's always been the case.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I haven't watched an SNL in some time. I was on a kick there for awhile catching clips. I was even watching old episodes (they're all on Peacock) there for awhile. Working my way up from the mid-80s. I'll have to look for some of these new ones you speak of Runwildboys!

I grew up on SNL as a kid. Staying up late watching SNL and then American Gladiators right after it. lol I came up during the Sandler/Farley/Spade/Hartman/etc. days in the early 90s. Those were great. That was a special cast. Farley was incredible. Sucks he got so lost in the coke.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I haven't watched an SNL in some time. I was on a kick there for awhile catching clips. I was even watching old episodes (they're all on Peacock) there for awhile. Working my way up from the mid-80s. I'll have to look for some of these new ones you speak of Runwildboys!

I grew up on SNL as a kid. Staying up late watching SNL and then American Gladiators right after it. lol I came up during the Sandler/Farley/Spade/Hartman/etc. days in the early 90s. Those were great. That was a special cast. Farley was incredible. Sucks he got so lost in the coke.
Farley was AWESOME!!!

rags747

Reaction score
I catch them on YouTube when there is a buzz, I like Weekend Updates with Pete Davidson. He gets all the girlies!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I catch them on YouTube when there is a buzz, I like Weekend Updates with Pete Davidson. He gets all the girlies!
He's actually had some pretty funny bits on Weekend Update. But how he gets women like Kate Beckinsale and Arianna Grande is insane. Sympathy only takes you so far.