So do we have any centers available to play tonight?

sago1

Reaction score
From afar here in Florida, admit to being very concerned, as are many people about our center situation. Does anybody have a clue which OL players can start at center for us tonight? Also sure would like to know why we didn't sign the C who supposed on route to Oxnard; is it because he not in condition, price too high or he no better then what we already have? But then again, who plays center tonight?

Will be real upset/sick if Romo gets hurt tonight because of screwed up center/OL mess.

fifaguy

Reaction score
sago1;4661592 said:
From afar here in Florida, admit to being very concerned, as are many people about our center situation. Does anybody have a clue which OL players can start at center for us tonight? Also sure would like to know why we didn't sign the C who supposed on route to Oxnard; is it because he not in condition, price too high or he no better then what we already have? But then again, who plays center tonight?

Will be real upset/sick if Romo gets hurt tonight because of screwed up center/OL mess.

Romo will play one series tonight most likely. If we can't protect him for that, it's going to be a longgggggg season. Unfortunately I work late tonight so I will have to check a replay later.... or come on the boards around 10pm and see the "end of the world" type posts about our O-line.

From my understanding... Centers tonight will be: Bern, Arkin, maybe McQuistan, and Gunn? That sound about right :confused:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
fifaguy;4661600 said:
Romo will play one series tonight most likely. If we can't protect him for that, it's going to be a longgggggg season. Unfortunately I work late tonight so I will have to check a replay later.... or come on the boards around 10pm and see the "end of the world" type posts about our O-line.

From my understanding... Centers tonight will be: Bern, Arkin, maybe McQuistan, and Gunn? That sound about right :confused:

Unless the projected starters are playing I don't think we will get a true feel of what kind of protection he'll be getting.

kirkjrk

Reaction score
Maybe there's a qualified center on a Arena FL team that could help the Boys. Drastic times call for drastic measures.

fifaguy

Reaction score
CATCH17;4661615 said:
Unless the projected starters are playing I don't think we will get a true feel of what kind of protection he'll be getting.

The only "starters" out this game are: Mo Claiborne, Miles Austin, Jason hatcher, Jay Ratliff, Phil Costa and Anthony Spencer.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
fifaguy;4661625 said:
The only "starters" out this game are: Mo Claiborne, Miles Austin, Jason hatcher, Jay Ratliff, Phil Costa and Anthony Spencer.

Livings and Bernadeau are playing?

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
fifaguy;4661600 said:

What we see in the first PS game is not what we will begin the season with..no time to panic....just enjoy some football tonight

Doomsday101

Reaction score
cowboy_ron;4661631 said:
What we see in the first PS game is not what we will begin the season with..no time to panic....just enjoy some football tonight

I agree. I still want to see the guys up front play well. Clearly not all the starters will be playing tonight but the guys who do, need to go out and play hard.

erod

Reaction score
fifaguy;4661625 said:

You can probably add Dez Bryant and Nate Livings to that list. I wish they'd add Romo, too.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
cowboy_ron;4661631 said:

I agree, in principal, with your philosophy. But, keep in mind, the same thing was said last year regarding the defense in the pre-season.

There was no shortage of the "all is well" crew while we watched a preview of our sieve like defense all pre-season long (though, IIRC, I think they performed decently in the 1st pre-season game).

I'm cautiously optimistic, but to claim that we won't get a preview of possible trouble spots that may (and often times do) translate to the regular season is false. It doesn't mean that a poor performance along the O-line in the first pre-season game is going to predict our season at the position. It doesn't mean it won't either.

Time to panic? No. Time to observe and START forming (not finalizing) some conclusions? Absolutely.

fifaguy

Reaction score
cowboy_ron;4661631 said:

No panic, and I will enjoy. Just interested to see a center (Arkin), who has never snapped in a NFL game, start! haha

Uncertain about Bern playing tonight. Don't think Livings is cleared to play.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'm not sure I would play Romo at all until we are sure we can protect him. I would hate to lose him for the season over this. Besides, its not like we are evaluating him or anything. We know what we have in him.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
If Romo trips on the stairs coming out the locker room and sprains a ankle.. It will be blamed on Jerry and Costa..

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Vinnie2u;4661722 said:
If Romo trips on the stairs coming out the locker room and sprains a ankle.. It will be blamed on Jerry and Costa..
:lmao2:

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
It wouldn't be surprising for the Boys to work a trade for somebody's #2 center, giving up a player like Ogletree, Lemon, Coleman, Spears, or any other position of need for a trade partner, where we think that player has become expendable for us. This might require sacrificing a fairly good talent, but you get what you pay for.

erod

Reaction score
Doc50;4661848 said:
It wouldn't be surprising for the Boys to work a trade for somebody's #2 center, giving up a player like Ogletree, Lemon, Coleman, Spears, or any other position of need for a trade partner, where we think that player has become expendable for us. This might require sacrificing a fairly good talent, but you get what you pay for.

Possibly, but you'll be giving up a much better player than that. No one is going to give us a good backup center for guys we'll probably cut.

We'll have to give up someone of value like Lissimore or Crawford or a 3rd round pick. Otherwise, that team would rather just keep their center.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I think guys we will be surprised , There will be hiccups , sure , but the whole thing is going to play out without too much drama. It will be like any NFL game, Offensive Linemen will get beat , the QBs will have to scramble , can be sacked as well , but not so extra ordinary , atleast I think so.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
erod;4661872 said:
Possibly, but you'll be giving up a much better player than that. No one is going to give us a good backup center for guys we'll probably cut.

We'll have to give up someone of value like Lissimore or Crawford or a 3rd round pick. Otherwise, that team would rather just keep their center.

Not necessarily. Coleman or Spears could start for a few teams (especially those running a 3-4). Just because we have young guys stepping up doesn't mean another team doesn't have a need. Swapping a back up for a starter is a no brainer for some teams. The trading team may not even need a starter because they are thin on depth at DT/DE. They may be strong in O-line depth and weak on the D-line.

With all that being said, I don't think we'll trade for anyone.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
skinsscalper;4661917 said:
Not necessarily. Coleman or Spears could start for a few teams (especially those running a 3-4). Just because we have young guys stepping up doesn't mean another team doesn't have a need. Swapping a back up for a starter is a no brainer for some teams. The trading team may not even need a starter because they are thin on depth at DT/DE. They may be strong in O-line depth and weak on the D-line.

With all that being said, I don't think we'll trade for anyone.
The only way another team trades them their #2 for cheap is if they drafted a young guy that beat that guy out anyway.