So I roll out of bed today, and I realize...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
abersonc said:
To myself, and I imagine many others, it would be nice if the US could field a good team but that has nothing to do with my interest in the sport.
Now, turn that around and grant that others can feel the same way, only in reverse, and we've made headway.

Every sport/team has bandwagon fans. That's a fact of life.

Every sport/team has rabid fans.

Every sport/team has people who could give a flying fig.

burmafrd

Reaction score
according to the elites, we unwashed uncivilized barbarians must love soccer since they do. And if we don't then they will start sanctions whichwill have threats of military force behind them....
oh, forgot who we were talking about. They will continue to call us names no matter what we do.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Now, turn that around and grant that others can feel the same way, only in reverse, and we've made headway.

Every sport/team has bandwagon fans. That's a fact of life.

Every sport/team has rabid fans.

Every sport/team has people who could give a flying fig.

I liked it better when about 9 pages back you said you'd give me the last word.

I'm not trying to bring anyone over to the soccer side - I'm am however fighting what I see as incorrect perceptions like "nobody cares about soccer in the US" and "soccer isn't complex"

AbeBeta

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
according to the elites, we unwashed uncivilized barbarians must love soccer since they do. And if we don't then they will start sanctions whichwill have threats of military force behind them....
oh, forgot who we were talking about. They will continue to call us names no matter what we do.

that's your response? I give you facts and figures and you go with the "elite" bs.

you can do better than that burm. well, maybe you can't.

burmafrd

Reaction score
It would be incorrect to say nobody cares. It would be correct to say that relatively FEW care.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Most of the complaints about the lack of soccer progress, etc do come from the elites (media, cultural, etc).

Doomsday101

Reaction score
abersonc said:

I'm not trying to bring anyone over to the soccer side - I'm am however fighting what I see as incorrect perceptions like "nobody cares about soccer in the US" and "soccer isn't complex"

Soccer is just not a big draw in the US. It appears to lagging far behind Football, Basketball, Baseball as well as Auto Racing as far as fan interest

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
abersonc said:

My apologies for offending you.

I will live up to my promise then. I felt it was a good point.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hostile said:
My apologies for offending you.

I will live up to my promise then. I felt it was a good point.

Hos -- I am unoffendable.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Most of the complaints about the lack of soccer progress, etc do come from the elites (media, cultural, etc).

Who EXACTLY are the "elites"

that's a pretty vague term -- is it code for something else? e.g.. liberal?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Soccer is just not a big draw in the US. It appears to lagging far behind Football, Basketball, Baseball as well as Auto Racing as far as fan interest

US vs. Ghana viewed by 2.9 million homes on ESPN with an estimated 700k-ish more homes viewing on Univision -- that's on a Thursday morning at 10 AM EST.

Over 3.5 million people. Middle of the day. Middle of the week.

That's a good draw. Not a huge one. But that is a hell of a lot of people watching for that time.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Soap operas draw more. Game shows draw more. If you could draw 30 million then there would be something to talk about. NOT LIKELY.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
abersonc said:
US vs. Ghana viewed by 2.9 million homes on ESPN with an estimated 700k-ish more homes viewing on Univision -- that's on a Thursday morning at 10 AM EST.

Over 3.5 million people. Middle of the day. Middle of the week.

That's a good draw. Not a huge one. But that is a hell of a lot of people watching for that time.

And many who are watching soccer for the 1st time. It is just not a big sport in the US and that is a fact, soccer does not come close to the draw of many American Sports. It has grown in jr sports and because of that it could become more popular down the road but for now most people could careless about soccer, they watch it when things like the WC are taking place just as the only time people watch track and field is during the Olympics any other time most in this country do not care. I’m not knocking the sport, I realize it takes athletic ability and endurance but its popularity in the US is still not all that high

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
What bugs me is that a few years back July was really the best time in Austin because the Boys trained here, what bites it this year is I have a free seminar at the riverwalk this year and the fricking Boys are in Cal. and won't be here til next year. I love tc on the riverwalk its where it was meant to be, remember Hard Knocks and Emmitt driving the bus, I keep looking for the singing roommate, he's got to be in a lounge here somewhere. Anyway San Antonio here I come. For those of you passing thru Austin on your way somewhere not to be missed is the Tom Landry marker in the state cemetary, it is so beautiful, the light reflects off the granite, it will give you chills, its an old school thing, I can't separate the Boys from Tom and his hat. He was such a great guy, even when things were bad he never lost his cool, it was the bomber pilot in him, see you guys when I get back from San Antonio..

AbeBeta

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Soap operas draw more. Game shows draw more. If you could draw 30 million then there would be something to talk about. NOT LIKELY.

You positive on that? Reading various ratings sites, I'm seeing the top rated Daytime shows ranging from about a 1.5 to 2.0. That isn't drawing more than soccer

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
And many who are watching soccer for the 1st time. It is just not a big sport in the US and that is a fact, soccer does not come close to the draw of many American Sports.

The NBA finals drew about 4 times the # of people as did the US-Ghana game.

What if you put the NBA finals on at 7 am on the West Coast? What sort of ratings performance would you get there?

I'd consider 1/4 of the draw under those circumstances a pretty solid performance.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
abersonc said:
The NBA finals drew about 4 times the # of people as did the US-Ghana game.

What if you put the NBA finals on at 7 am on the West Coast? What sort of ratings performance would you get there?

I'd consider 1/4 of the draw under those circumstances a pretty solid performance.

You put the world cup the biggest event in the sport of soccer aginst the biggest American sports and I promise you it is not close. Heck I would watch an NFL pre-season game over the finals of the WC soccer. I respect the fact that it is a big sport in most contries but in the US it is not that big of a deal and not many really care about it. I guess you could say America marches to a different beat than the rest of the world.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
You put the world cup the biggest event in the sport of soccer aginst the biggest American sports and I promise you it is not close. Heck I would watch an NFL pre-season game over the finals of the WC soccer. I respect the fact that it is a big sport in most contries but in the US it is not that big of a deal and not many really care about it. I guess you could say America marches to a different beat than the rest of the world.

Well Dooms, respectfully, I'd say that the #s I gave you suggest there is a considerable population watching the World Cup.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Well Dooms, respectfully, I'd say that the #s I gave you suggest there is a considerable population watching the World Cup.

Yes we have many people who live in this country from other parts of the world. Here in Houston any time Mexico plays it draws a big number of fans from Mexico who are hardcore soccer fans. However the numbers up aginst other American sports is not even close. The Daytona 500 blows away the WC, the World Series in Baseball and of course the SB will put up hugh numbers. Again I'm not knocking the sport but in the USA WC does not come close to other American sports.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Yes we have many people who live in this country from other parts of the world. Here in Houston any time Mexico plays it draws a big number of fans from Mexico who are hardcore soccer fans. However the numbers up aginst other American sports is not even close. The Daytona 500 blows away the WC, the World Series in Baseball and of course the SB will put up hugh numbers. Again I'm not knocking the sport but in the USA WC does not come close to other American sports.

There are many cities in the US where the Daytona 500 would be blown away by the WC. LA, SF, SD, Seattle, NYC.