So to be clear where we are roster wise

Sydla

Reaction score
One of their biggest flaws is an inability to self assess decisions they have made. It's too early to throw Mazi Smith out at this point but in their eyes, because they picked him, Mazi WILL work out and therefore they don't need any real FA help at DT.

Whereas other teams, including one in our division, would likely hedge their bets on Smith and go get help at DT in FA and then if Smith worked out, that's just gravy. The Cowboys don't hedge risk. They just assume the guys they drafted will work out, therefore, we can just ignore that in FA.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
One of their biggest flaws is an inability to self assess decisions they have made. It's too early to throw Mazi Smith out at this point but in their eyes, because they picked him, Mazi WILL work out and therefore they don't need any real FA help at DT.

Whereas other teams, including one in our division, would likely hedge their bets on Smith and go get help at DT in FA and then if Smith worked out, that's just gravy. The Cowboys don't hedge risk. They just assume the guys they drafted will work out, therefore, we can just ignore that in FA.
100% Should be patching the team through FA, and all gravy if we get wins in the Draft, or players not far removed from it. That's the Jones Ego again.

Jerry: "Dag nabbit... I done GM'd the hell out of this team and drafted some great ones! You better win with them!"

rambo2

Reaction score
Tyroon Smith signed for a 1 year potential $20M. See ya, bye-bye, good luck. Can you say Tyler Smith?

We lost our ~finish~ center - best wishes!!! JPJ or Barton would be a massive upgrade.

RB - time for a committee.

DT - Hankins will be resigned and we will trade for an another DT.

Gallup was an embarrassment of a top 3 WR. Schoonmaker alone should replace Gallup's production next season.

DE - Sam Williams and Fehoko will step up and rise to the occasion.
It will be interesting what happens with Fehoko and Scott. It is like they were redshirts that were stashed on the roster. Asim Richards also.

Sydla

Reaction score
It will be interesting what happens with Fehoko and Scott. It is like they were redshirts that were stashed on the roster. Asim Richards also.
Odds are these guys are just jags, roster filler. Maybe one of these three might turn into a good player.

But when your strategy is that these guys HAVE to work out, you are going to have roster issues. In other words, if you decide OT isn't an issue and don't need to take one in the draft early because you have Asim Richards, that's really an unnecessary risk.

Chasing6

Reaction score
They are also expecting some current players to step up - like Hoffman or Bass.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I really think GM Jeruh has a fascination with comp picks. He does not want to sign free agents that will impact his losses. So he only wants players that have been cut or vets that are close to league minimum.

I think he will trade late round picks for next year, because he knows they will be replaced with comp picks. Same as last year with Gilmore and Cooks.

So he has to wait and see who is on the trade block.
They are just hedging their bets. Pay a DT 2 million and expect little but you can get a lot. Pay the same guy 10+ and you'll probably come to regret it. They want that diamond in the rough. I get it to a point. Do you think the commanders will like the armstrong signing in 2 years? He aint worth 15/year, Biadz isn't worth 10.

rambo2

Reaction score
I was surprised and disappointed that they didn't try and get Henry. They for sure need to hit on running back in the draft. It also looks like they will sign a vet running back that won't cost them a comesatory pick. I suspect that it would be either Rico, Zeke, or Dobbins.

Chasing6

Reaction score
But the point isn't about the quality of who left but rather the fact that they are creating a bunch of holes, signed no one to replace them and that it's unrealistic to think, gee, we'll just find a bunch of DTs, a LB, a new C or LG, a 3rd WR, depth at DE and one or two new RBs in the draft.

It seems clear they are going to just fill the roster out with slop at some point with cheap, can't really play, talent. There is zero doubt in my mind that the 2024 Cowboys will be less talented than the 2023 team. Jerry isn't taking advantage of what he had, instead we are likely getting worse while the Commanders and Eagles went out and tried to get much better. And Philly has a TON of draft picks too.
I don't believe they think we have as many holes as we do as fans. They believe some of these holes can be filled with our current roster.

Losing Gallup - they believe he will be replaced by Tolbert

Tyron S. can be replaced by Tyler S.
Tyler can be replaced by Bass
Biadasz can be replaced by Hoffman

So they believe they have flexibility in round 1 for the OLine.

RB will be added in the 2nd or 3rd round and they will pick up a vet that no one is going to be excited about.

DT has to be their biggest concern at the moment and must be addressed in free agency or a trade.

Carson

Reaction score
They are also expecting some current players to step up - like Hoffman or Bass.
One of them will be your starting center.

Them attending Tyler Guyton and Jordan Morgan’s pro day with the OL Coach shows me we to OL/OG round 1 and RB in the 2nd

Chasing6

Reaction score
One of them will be your starting center.

Them attending Tyler Guyton and Jordan Morgan’s pro day with the OL Coach shows me we to OL/OG round 1 and RB in the 2nd
Or could just be taking a closer look to see if they could start at LT. Just because we went, it does not mean we liked what we seen.

We love lineman that can play multiple positions.
Barton seems like a logical choice and I think there is 50/50 chance he is still there at 24. I doubt JPJ makes it that far.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Tyroon Smith signed for a 1 year potential $20M. See ya, bye-bye, good luck. Can you say Tyler Smith?

We lost our ~finish~ center - best wishes!!! JPJ or Barton would be a massive upgrade.

RB - time for a committee.

DT - Hankins will be resigned and we will trade for an another DT.

Gallup was an embarrassment of a top 3 WR. Schoonmaker alone should replace Gallup's production next season.

DE - Sam Williams and Fehoko will step up and rise to the occasion.
Positive spin but I think this could be true.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
I think we will have a historic amount of UDFA make the team this year!!

Carson

Reaction score
I think we will have a historic amount of UDFA make the team this year!!
I don’t think so

Qb - Dak, Lance, Rush - 3
Rb - Rookie, Davis, Vaughn, Leupke - 4
Wr - Lamb, Cooks, Tolbert, Brooks, Turpin - 5
Te - Fergy, Schoonmaker, Hendershot/Fant/Rookie - 3
T - Smith, Steele, Waletzko, Richards - 4
G - Martin, Bass - 2
C - Hoffman, Rookie - 2

Thats 23 pretty sure on O

De - Micah, Tank, Williams, Golston - 4
Dt - Osa, Mazi, Fehoko - 3
Lb - Overshown, Kendrick’s, Clark - 3
Cb - Diggs, Bland, Lewis, Wright, Goodwin, Scott - 6
S - Hooker, Wilson, Izzy, Thomas, Bell - 5

Thats 21 on defense

ST - Aubrey, Anger. Seig - 3

Thats around 46-47 players who will make it / draft picks.

This doesn’t count the rookie class of 6-7 guys.

You may get 1-2 UDFA as usual

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
- We apparently lost our LT
- We lost our center
- Our RB room is the weakest in the NFL right now
- We lost one DT and may lose our best one in Hankins
- We are down one of our top 3 WRs.
- We have little to no depth at DE now

We signed one LB but frankly could use another vet IMO. We can debate whether letting some of these guys go was smart but nonetheless they still created a roster hole.

The Jones show no sign of concern and we have Stephen doing the annual “we get our players in the draft” spiel.

It’s downright perplexing that instead of building upon a division winning team it appears their plan is to field a team that actually could be less talented than the 2023 team.

I’d love for Stephen and Jerry to livestream their postseason personnel discussions. I bet it would be the most entertaining thing on television.
They have not a clue.
They are two Fans pretending to be GM/Football men.
We Fans are royaly screwed with this current front office set up.

exciter

Reaction score
Depth doesn't mean bodies.
Lol, Williams has 4 and 5 sacks in 2 seasons while averaging 12 snaps. Goulston was a pleasant surprise in his limited snaps. Wheat produced 17 sacks in 3 seasons in the SEC. But hey, I get it, the player evaluation here is limited to it must be a rapidly declining player who’s “name I’ve heard before”!!!

Verdict

Reaction score
- We apparently lost our LT
- We lost our center
- Our RB room is the weakest in the NFL right now
- We lost one DT and may lose our best one in Hankins
- We are down one of our top 3 WRs.
- We have little to no depth at DE now

We signed one LB but frankly could use another vet IMO. We can debate whether letting some of these guys go was smart but nonetheless they still created a roster hole.

The Jones show no sign of concern and we have Stephen doing the annual “we get our players in the draft” spiel.

It’s downright perplexing that instead of building upon a division winning team it appears their plan is to field a team that actually could be less talented than the 2023 team.

I’d love for Stephen and Jerry to livestream their postseason personnel discussions. I bet it would be the most entertaining thing on television.
While your points are valid, it’s still early. It’s not like this is the start of training camp and we are still in this situation.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
We are a 9 to 10 win team before doing anything it’s not dire by any stretch
Look at the schedule 8-9 is where this team is with having to play:

Philly twice
Detroit
Baltimore
Cincinnati
SF
Houston

And that’s assuming you can win all the other games you’re supposed to win which i guess include a trip to Pittsburgh and Cleveland, and a much improved Atlanta team.

Plus hoping DQ struggles his first year because he’ll know exactly how to attack Dak.

A 7-8 win team is easily foreseeable if not worse. Putting all the hope in rookies is a bad strategy but it might be best long term.