So what about WR? TO and ?

DallasInDC

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2059246 said:
If you can remember that, then you can remember how our offense played the last 5 games or so of last year. TO gets hurt or just runs out of gas, we are done. Our offense is a one trick pony right now. That's not a good thing in the NFL. maybe Stanback comes through. Miles and Hurd are not new players. They have been here awhile. I think we've seen what we are going to see from them. Who knows, maybe they will dramatically improve.

I agree, that our offense faltered down the stretch last year, but don't forget that it was result of not only TO being injured but also Romo's bad thumb, and JJ was still the starting RB getting the majority of carries. I think the combination of Barber/Felix will be much better than JJ/Barber. I also think that our OL will be much better due to another year of continuity alone. Add the fact that the Cricket will be back and with Bennett's hands/size that should help in the 2 TE set. Overall, there is only 2 positions that need to be upgraded on offense - #2 WR and LG. TO be honest with you. I don't think there was anyone in the draft after pick 22 that would be better than what we already have on the roster.

By the way, Miles and Hurd have only been in the league for 2 years as UDFA from small schools. I think we should afford them the 3 year rule before determining what type of players they will be.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Put me in the minority, but I think Matt Jones would be a nice 'get' for this team and a guy who could contribute as a #2 or #3. His size/speed combination would compliment Owens and Crayton nicely.

I would put Terry Glenn in a similar mode to Pacman Jones.

Anything they can or do bring should be treated as a welcome bonus, not counted upon.

Given the number of kick returners the team has recently acquired, I think Miles Austin may be running out of time to develop into a receiver.

Parcells would probably give the Cowboys something for him.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2059404 said:
Crayton, Hurd, Stanback and Miles. That young enough for you?

"Young" cut from a different mould ala "Roy Williams" "Anquan Boldin"

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
stasheroo;2059467 said:
Put me in the minority, but I think Matt Jones would be a nice 'get' for this team and a guy who could contribute as a #2 or #3. His size/speed combination would compliment Owens and Crayton nicely.

I think Matt could accel with TO on the other side

Derinyar

Reaction score
YoMick;2059485 said:

I'd give up on thinking about Boldin. Hes not going anywhere anytime soon. Hes there for multiple years on a reasonable contract. Maybe they will look at moving him in the last year of his deal since they are currently buring their bridges with him, at least I'd imagine they are.

ComicBookGuy

Reaction score
YoMick;2059485 said:
Nobody in this draft was cut from a mold even similar to either of those.

links18

Reaction score
stealth;2059280 said:
link your glenn stuff, impressions are different from one to another, so I might be wrong, I read everything as glenn is gonna play, we drafted jack all and traded for jack all in the receiver department. How does that do anything other than scream terry glenn has at least one year left?

There is no way to know what will happen with Glenn. Glenn is much more questionable than even PacMan. If the plan at receiver is to bank on Glenn, that's a real bad plan. Even with PacMan signed, we still went out and drafted 2 corners. Something must be in the works at WR. The current situation is untenable.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
stealth;2059280 said:
link your glenn stuff, impressions are different from one to another, so I might be wrong, I read everything as glenn is gonna play, we drafted jack all and traded for jack all in the receiver department. How does that do anything other than scream terry glenn has at least one year left?

Replay your TEVO. I'm repeating what Jerry Jones said himself. I'd imagine that he would be in a position to know.

Perhaps you can tell everybody where you read that Glenn is going to be just fine. I honestly didn't hear that.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
YoMick;2059485 said:
It's looking like those are nothing but more players that won't be Cowboys this year.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stasheroo;2059467 said:
Put me in the minority, but I think Matt Jones would be a nice 'get' for this team and a guy who could contribute as a #2 or #3.
:puke:

ComicBookGuy

Reaction score
YoMick;2059557 said:
Thats why I mentioned those two vets
I would love to get one of those guys...but I just have a hard time seeing it happen. I think we get somebody slightly lower than that on the totem pole.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2059404 said:
Crayton, Hurd, Stanback and Miles. That young enough for you?

Well, I think he probably ment young and good Big.

:laugh2:

Seriously, we really need to bring in some young guys IMO. I honestly haven't seen it from Hurd or Miles as yet. They are both 3 year guys. I just think that we have to continue to keep developing young players and I would say that this is the case for all positions, not just WR.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
theebs;2059558 said:
Jason Witten is the number 2 here.

The problem with this is that if Witten is your 2nd, then if your facing a good pass rushing team, you can't keep the TE in to help you block, unless you bring in another TE. That creates it's own set up problems with multiple set formations etc.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2059571 said:

I think he might also but heck, I don't really care. So long as it's a guy who helps, anybody is OK. I just am real affraid of keeping the status quo.

StarMan2112

Reaction score
If T.O. goes down during the crucial stretch run like last year and the result will be the same. We don't have another WR that scares anybody. Not a doubt in my mind that if T.O. was 100% we beat the Giants.

Crayton is a fine #3 and a decent #2. Glenn is done imo. Stanback is a longshot project and Hurd/Austin would have shown more by now if they were going to do anything.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DallasInDC;2059417 said:
I agree, that our offense faltered down the stretch last year, but don't forget that it was result of not only TO being injured but also Romo's bad thumb, and JJ was still the starting RB getting the majority of carries. I think the combination of Barber/Felix will be much better than JJ/Barber. I also think that our OL will be much better due to another year of continuity alone. Add the fact that the Cricket will be back and with Bennett's hands/size that should help in the 2 TE set. Overall, there is only 2 positions that need to be upgraded on offense - #2 WR and LG. TO be honest with you. I don't think there was anyone in the draft after pick 22 that would be better than what we already have on the roster.

By the way, Miles and Hurd have only been in the league for 2 years as UDFA from small schools. I think we should afford them the 3 year rule before determining what type of players they will be.

I'm not advocating using 22 for any Receivers this year. Heck, I said before the draft that I didn't believe any of the WRs were worth a 1st round pick this year. However, I do believe that there were WRs worth taking to try and develop. I do believe that. If that means Miles or Hurd are gone, so be it. I mean, they should be worried about losing there jobs. That pressure to keep your roster spot will force you to improve. If you can't improve, then you should be gone to make way for a young guy who possibly might. Bringing in young WRs actually helps the development of Miles and Hurd IMO. At least, that's the way I see it.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
BlueStar22;2059100 said:
I think Crayton proved to be solid #2 last year.
Crayton is an excellent #3 receiver but a below-average #2 receiver. He's no Tony Hill or Raghib Ismail, he's not even an Alvin Harper.

Unfortunately, we're backed into a corner now, so there are no good options. We have to hope that Terry Glenn is healthy. If not, well, we have a below average #2 receiver who drops balls in clutch situations that cost you in the playoffs (can you tell I'm still bitter?).

Also remember that this is the final year of T.O.'s contract. You think he'll be behaving come November if he's still unsigned?

People heap blame on Jerry for many things, some fairly some unfairly, but this critism is fair - he has left us without a contingency plan at WR this year, and he could be putting a Superbowl run at risk.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
TheSkaven;2059667 said:
Crayton is an excellent #3 receiver but a below-average #2 receiver. He's no Tony Hill or Raghib Ismail, he's not even an Alvin Harper.

Unfortunately, we're backed into a corner now, so there are no good options. We have to hope that Terry Glenn is healthy. If not, well, we have a below average #2 receiver who drops balls in clutch situations that cost you in the playoffs (can you tell I'm still bitter?).

Also remember that this is the final year of T.O.'s contract. You think he'll be behaving come November if he's still unsigned?

People heap blame on Jerry for many things, some fairly some unfairly, but this critism is fair - he has left us without a contingency plan at WR this year, and he could be putting a Superbowl run at risk.

I agree with most.

I don't think he hasn't tried. They couldn't get anyone this year they thought was worth it. Not and fill the other needs. It appears they are more comfortable with TG and Stanback than most of us think. Or there is an acquistion of a veteran WR somewhere.

I don't trust Hurd or Austin and Crayton failed us down the stretch. I hope something is out there.

They will be under the gun next year even if we can get another year or two out of TO and TG.

We cannot count on or count out TG right now. Will just have to hope with him.