Social etiquettes we could use a re-fresh on

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Respect folks personal space. It not the first time this has happened to me. We have a driver from a certain company that cant talk to you unless his nose is almost touching yours.

Messes with me big time!:laugh::confused:
We have a guy at work who always talks at maximum volume, no matter how close you are. He's 6'9", with a deep, booming voice, and once in a while I yell back at him, "JERRY, I'M RIGHT FRIGGIN' HERE!!"

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I hate it when relatives that I rarely see want to socialize while I'm trying to watch the Cowboy's Thanksgiving Day game. Isn't the proper etiquette to leave me alone during all Cowboys games. There will be time to socialize after the game. Also, I hate it when they have a problem with me calling dibs on the bathroom during halftime. I get angry when they can't comply with that concept. :p

Last edited:

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have a guy at work who always talks at maximum volume, no matter how close you are. He's 6'9", with a deep, booming voice, and once in a while I yell back at him, "JERRY, I'M RIGHT FRIGGIN' HERE!!"
I used to work with a guy like that and he loved talking politics so his views went EVERYWHERE when he was talking. Some of his views are sexists in today's world and I had to go to his boss and plead with him to shut the guy down because I did not want to be dragged down with him because he shared an office with me.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I used to work with a guy like that and he loved talking politics so his views went EVERYWHERE when he was talking. Some of his views are sexists in today's world and I had to go to his boss and plead with him to shut the guy down because I did not want to be dragged down with him because he shared an office with me.
This guy doesn't even know what he wants to talk about before he gets to you half the time. He'll come over and stand right next to you, and when you finally give up on him walking away, you look at him and then he starts thinking about what to say.

He came and stood next to my truck a few weeks ago while I was sitting there watching a video. When I decided to look over at him, he started moving his finger in a circular motion next to his head. I thought, "Okay, so at least he knows he's crazy."...then I realized he was just buffering.

Creeper

Reaction score
there's just so many rude people in this world based on our experiences in this thread.

I will say the slow cross walkers are just as bad as the speeders in parking lots, including the ones that absolutely refuse to slow down for anyone potentially in position to cross. How ridiculous is it that speed bumps were installed at a local store a few years back all because a pedestrian got hit. That is something that should never be a concern, the fact that something like that happened just shows how bad these people are. And judging by all other comments it's easy to say there's just a lot of people that simply don't care by their actions. One perspective I've had since I was young was that these people have to live somewhere, they just don't miraculously show up when you're out - for all we know half our neighbors are just dirty, lazy, trash individuals. It's probably too negative to think like this, especially when you consider the amount of crimes that happen daily on top of little things posted in this thread. Makes you really think if you're normal or not.

I could write a book on parking lot etiquette, especially at grocery stores. In addition to not speeding through parking lots, I would add, don't leave shopping carts in parking places. When I finally find a spot and I start to pull in only to find someone left a cart in the spot I want to scream. Is it too much to ask to take the cart back to the return for the convenience of other shoppers? I have found people leave a cart in a spot only 20 ft from the return. There is no excuse for this.
Also, when you park, park in between the lines, new car or not. People who take up two spots either deliberately or accidentally are rude and inconsiderate.

And what is with this backing into parking spots instead of pulling in front first? Isn't backing in between two parked cars more difficult than backing out into the open lane? When using empty spots as drive through routes, slow down and stop before pulling out into the exit lanes.

Creeper

Reaction score
When I listen to some people talk to their kids today I understand why manners and etiquette are so rare. Parents are always telling their kids how special they are, how smart they are blah blah blah. Imagine all these kids growing up thinking they are special or better than everyone else. No wonder our schools are a disaster and our kids can't cope with any bad news. Kids who think they are special grow up feeling entitled because they are so special.

Here is a tip for new parents. Your kid is not special. He is not a genius because he can say words at 15 months, or read at 3 years because you taught him to. Kids are just little human beings with little human brains, brains that are capable of amazing things - which is true for every human baby. They are humans, not rodents just because they are small. So if your kid knows a few words of French because you drilled him on them, he's not special. But he may grow up to be a pretentious little brat!

Maybe your kid has a special talent. That does not make him or her special. A rude kid who can play the violin is still a rude kid, and no one wants to hear a rude little brat play the violin. While you teach your kid French, teach him manners, respect for elders, respect for authority and the law. Teach him right from wrong. Teach him "please" and "thank you", and "excuse me". Teach him to be considerate of others. But also teach him how to deal with disappointment and the occasional failure because even your special little kid will fail from time to time in life. It happens. Let him explore, and sometimes get into a little trouble. Experience turns your little baby into a self-sufficient adult.

I think most parents get most of it right, but lately I see them failing in this one major way.

kskboys

Reaction score
That waiter is there to provide a service to the PAYING customer. As a paying customer I don't have to ask politely for what I'm paying for. Saying "I'll have the steak" isn't being disrespectful.

When I go to a convenient store I don't put what I'm buying on the counter and ask "can I buy this, pretty please".

I've been a waiter, I have never had a problem when the customer told me what they wanted from the menu. Any server that requires the paying customer to ask politely for what they're PAYING FOR is full of themselves.
As have I. Generally, was too busy doing my job to even notice if they were polite.

kskboys

Reaction score
When I listen to some people talk to their kids today I understand why manners and etiquette are so rare. Parents are always telling their kids how special they are, how smart they are blah blah blah. Imagine all these kids growing up thinking they are special or better than everyone else. No wonder our schools are a disaster and our kids can't cope with any bad news. Kids who think they are special grow up feeling entitled because they are so special.

Here is a tip for new parents. Your kid is not special. He is not a genius because he can say words at 15 months, or read at 3 years because you taught him to. Kids are just little human beings with little human brains, brains that are capable of amazing things - which is true for every human baby. They are humans, not rodents just because they are small. So if your kid knows a few words of French because you drilled him on them, he's not special. But he may grow up to be a pretentious little brat!

Maybe your kid has a special talent. That does not make him or her special. A rude kid who can play the violin is still a rude kid, and no one wants to hear a rude little brat play the violin. While you teach your kid French, teach him manners, respect for elders, respect for authority and the law. Teach him right from wrong. Teach him "please" and "thank you", and "excuse me". Teach him to be considerate of others. But also teach him how to deal with disappointment and the occasional failure because even your special little kid will fail from time to time in life. It happens. Let him explore, and sometimes get into a little trouble. Experience turns your little baby into a self-sufficient adult.

I think most parents get most of it right, but lately I see them failing in this one major way.
Do they? I'm not sure they do get it right. I find kids today to mostly be spoiled little brats who can't handle anything difficult and quit at the first sign of adversity.

kskboys

Reaction score
And I'm an employer who pays really well to a kid if he gets after it and tries to do a good job.

InTheZone

Reaction score
I could write a book on parking lot etiquette, especially at grocery stores. In addition to not speeding through parking lots, I would add, don't leave shopping carts in parking places. When I finally find a spot and I start to pull in only to find someone left a cart in the spot I want to scream. Is it too much to ask to take the cart back to the return for the convenience of other shoppers? I have found people leave a cart in a spot only 20 ft from the return. There is no excuse for this.
Also, when you park, park in between the lines, new car or not. People who take up two spots either deliberately or accidentally are rude and inconsiderate.

And what is with this backing into parking spots instead of pulling in front first? Isn't backing in between two parked cars more difficult than backing out into the open lane? When using empty spots as drive through routes, slow down and stop before pulling out into the exit lanes.

I back into every spot lol. Easier to pull out when leaving since you're not backing out blind and don't have to worry about rude cars speeding around you rather than letting you go.

Creeper

Reaction score
I back into every spot lol. Easier to pull out when leaving since you're not backing out blind and don't have to worry about rude cars speeding around you rather than letting you go.

I thought that car speedy passed me when I am backing out only happened here! I swear people think parking lots are free-for-alls. I can be half backed out and someone will race around me.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I always back in to a space if possible. It's much safer to pull out forward than to back out. Also, when driving a pickup or larger vehicle, the turn radius is better backing in than pulling in headfirst.