Social etiquettes we could use a re-fresh on

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Saying " Can I have this please" to a waiter or waitress or a fast food employee instead of " I'll have or I want". To me this is showing them courtesy instead of acting like some overbearing $%#@%$&
Deal with it. I tip well so you will endure my abuse. I bet it's people like me that get their food spit in by people like you.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I actually don't like when people put their hands over their face when they sneeze or cough, all I think about at that point is "are you going to wash your hands before you touch everything?" I've always faced down and used my arm or elbow.
Aren't you considerate... and a germaphobe.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Is it wrong that I push all the buttons when alone in an elevator? Of course, I wait till I get to my floor. ;)

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The reason I asked about tipping at pickup, is because the young lady at the cash register of my favorite pizza place was asking everyone if they would "like to tip the staff", as we paid. That struck me as a breach of etiquette. I am getting old and ornery though, so I wondered if it was just me.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The reason I asked about tipping at pickup, is because the young lady at the cash register of my favorite pizza place was asking everyone if they would "like to tip the staff", as we paid. That struck me as a breach of etiquette. I am getting old and ornery though, so I wondered if it was just me.

They've become more and more reliant on tips rather than on good pay rates for employees. I personally don't care for the trend. The standard tip percentage years ago, when my father was young, was 10 percent. That went up to 15 percent around the mid 70s or so. Now the standard is pretty much 20 percent. I wouldn't be surprised to see it at 30 percent at some point. They're also starting to push tips in non-tip situations, like the one you describe. At some point, it will start to upset the public, and we may see demands to change the system to one more like they have in Europe where the restaurant is responsible for offering good pay rates that fully support employees and tips are just totally optional gifts. I was for the tipping system for years, but 20 percent is my max. If they try to change it to 30, then I would rather they just change to a European-style system.

Last edited:

Winonesoon

Reaction score
If they did not perform an act of service other than do their job I don't tip either. I work in a fabric store and that would be like me asking for a tip to copy an invoice. it is rude if you ask me.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
One more thing about tips: DON'T ever give a tip in Japan. It's a totally different culture there. They see a tip as a bribe or an insult.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Saying " Can I have this please" to a waiter or waitress or a fast food employee instead of " I'll have or I want". To me this is showing them courtesy instead of acting like some overbearing $%#@%$&
That waiter is there to provide a service to the PAYING customer. As a paying customer I don't have to ask politely for what I'm paying for. Saying "I'll have the steak" isn't being disrespectful.

When I go to a convenient store I don't put what I'm buying on the counter and ask "can I buy this, pretty please".

I've been a waiter, I have never had a problem when the customer told me what they wanted from the menu. Any server that requires the paying customer to ask politely for what they're PAYING FOR is full of themselves.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's pretty pushy, but if they're not open for indoor dining and they live on waiting tips, I guess I could understand...."IF".

catiii

Reaction score
That waiter is there to provide a service to the PAYING customer. As a paying customer I don't have to ask politely for what I'm paying for. Saying "I'll have the steak" isn't being disrespectful.

When I go to a convenient store I don't put what I'm buying on the counter and ask "can I buy this, pretty please".

I've been a waiter, I have never had a problem when the customer told me what they wanted from the menu. Any server that requires the paying customer to ask politely for what they're PAYING FOR is full of themselves.
At my fav pizza joint run my NY Italians, they actually scold you if you ask politely and tell you how it should be done as in New York. "Give me a slice of cheese!" :D

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
lol I'm assuming this is sarcasm unless someone likes snot hanging from every door handle
I think he is still upset at the board for not agreeing with him that a rookie shouldn’t have a picture in uniform with the star on their helmet yet.

Winonesoon

Reaction score
Respect folks personal space. Its not the first time this has happened to me. We have a driver from a certain company that cant talk to you unless his nose is almost touching yours.

Messes with me big time!:laugh::confused:

Last edited:

Winonesoon

Reaction score
When driving, give people IN front of you some space. I looked up this morning and i swear i could see up "Ol boys nose.

Good Grief. If I would have even tapped the breaks, we would have had to do a police report.