Soft against the run?

proline

Reaction score
I just watched the 1st half of the SF game over again. My impression was that SF ran pretty well against our first team defense. Checking the numbers, Gore was 9 for 49, or 5.44 ypc. We're talking Gore and the 49ers here. Is this just the result of our "vanilla" defense, or is there reason for concern? For comparison, the Saints averaged 3.1 and the Seahawks averaged 2.7.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
proline said:
I just watched the 1st half of the SF game over again. My impression was that SF ran pretty well against our first team defense. Checking the numbers, Gore was 9 for 49, or 5.44 ypc. We're talking Gore and the 49ers here. Is this just the result of our "vanilla" defense, or is there reason for concern? For comparison, the Saints averaged 3.1 and the Seahawks averaged 2.7.
Against the first team defense, they didn't even get a first down until a couple of minutes left in the first half.

I'd say that our defense is pretty stout.

JJ had more yards on his first run than the highly "touted" Bush in all of his carries.

superpunk

Reaction score
Gore got 18 of his yards on one run, which IIRC, was a mental thing where the OLB didn't seal the right side. This was the only drive they really moved the ball on us, and on the subsequent play, Henry intercepted Smith. Other than that, his runs accounted for one other first down the whole half. I don't think we'll have trouble being soft against the run, and I haven't noticed it yet.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Don't forget they have Allen who can still run block very well. Of course I don't know if he was running first team or not.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Gore got 18 of his yards on one run, which IIRC, was a mental thing where the OLB didn't seal the right side. This was the only drive they really moved the ball on us, and on the subsequent play, Henry intercepted Smith. Other than that, his runs accounted for one other first down the whole half. I don't think we'll have trouble being soft against the run, and I haven't noticed it yet.
He ran pretty well outside of that play -- consistently gaining 3-5 yards per run.

MiStar

Reaction score
I wouldn't really call it a cause for concern, as Roy Williams was seldomly seen near the line of scrimmage, and, as I remember, Gore was never able to get into the secondary, except for one off tackle run where Ware got caught too far upfield. The DL was getting pushed around a little bit, but nothing serious. I think the days of getting run over, like in the KC and Denver games of last year are gone.

Smith22

Reaction score
If our defense has a weakness this year, IMO it will be against the run. With TNew, Glenn and a healthy Henry, our pass defense should be off the chain. That being said, we have bulked up size wise and we should be solid on run defense. We need Fergy to stay healthy and finding some better depth there would be a good idea.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
SF got .. what? .... 18 plays in the entire half?

Obviously they were just cramming it down our throats.

superpunk

Reaction score
theogt said:
He ran pretty well outside of that play -- consistently gaining 3-5 yards per run.

First three carries netted 9 yards, next two 11, for a 4 ypc average. He had one more 4 yard run before that 18 yarder. That's decent gains, but nothing to fret over. Guy had 7 carries against our first team D.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk said:
First three carries netted 9 yards, next two 11, for a 4 ypc average. He had one more 4 yard run before that 18 yarder. That's decent gains, but nothing to fret over. Guy had 7 carries against our first team D.
Yeah, that's what I said. :D

proline

Reaction score
I agree. I think we will be strong against the medium-to-long passing game, but some running attacks and a well executed short passing attack that exploits our LB's in coverage will be our weaknesses. I think teams might be able to 5 - 7 yard gain us to death. This might only result in field goals until the D is tired, but bigger plays might come late in the game as the defense wears down.

I might just be a bit pessimistic, but until our real defense is unleashed I'm going to remain a little bit skeptical.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
SF can run the ball. Their interior OL with LA, Smiley and Heitmann are tough run blockers. And I think Gore is better than Julius.

That said .... if teams want to try to outmuscle us, more power to them. We have the biggest, strongest front 7 in the league and probably the best in the box safety in the league if we need it.

I'm much more worried about the deep pass, because Henry does give up big plays. Roy is nothing more than adequate in coverage, and we have a rookie and an overaggressive bullet magnet at fs who will both be vulnerable to mental mistakes throughout the year.

superpunk

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
SF can run the ball. Their interior OL with LA, Smiley and Heitmann are tough run blockers. And I think Gore is better than Julius.

He did average nearly 5 ypc last year, in his shared duties. Not too shabby.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
proline said:

You do know that the Cowboys rank 2nd in the NFL in rushing defense this preseason, don't you?? They're giving up an average of 70.7 yards per game...

They have yet to give up a run of 20 yards or longer...

They rank 3rd in the NFL in carries that went for first downs, with 10...

Does that sound like a soft run D to you??

proline

Reaction score
The 1st and 2nd game stats figure into the #2 ranking, along with the 3rd game stats. My impression of the SF game was that they ran against us pretty well. When I checked the stats, the numbers bore that out. That's all I'm saying.

Right now, I'm hoping we can get some real points on the board early and force teams to have to go to the pass.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We shut down several of the top RB's in the league last year and guess what? We have only gotten better.

This thread is a little ticky tacky.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
hey proline i got 1 question for ya. With those rushing yards how many points did they put up?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Gore's first three carries went for 3, 3 and 3 yards. His last next four went for 6, 5, 4 and 18.

One 18-yard run is reason for concern?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
proline said:
I think teams might be able to 5 - 7 yard gain us to death. This might only result in field goals until the D is tired, but bigger plays might come late in the game as the defense wears down.
With our depth, I can't see any possible situation where our D is tired.