Soft against the run?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
Against the first team defense, they didn't even get a first down until a couple of minutes left in the first half.

I'd say that our defense is pretty stout.

JJ had more yards on his first run than the highly "touted" Bush in all of his carries.

I agree and the only decent run Gore got was not aginst Dallas 1st string. SF left their starters in for a lot longer than the Cowboys did.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The Cowboys were soft in the middle last year and I haven't seen any reason to think that they will be a lot better this year. Well, maybe one. If Watkins can cover well enough to allow Williams to sit in the box then our run defense could be better this year, but Watkins is a rookie and still untested.

Our defense will be good, but our run defense will be our weakest point. I noted this in another thread yesterday.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
nyc said:
They don't have a Cowboys version... So
:nyghomer:

yea a career back up running back, that got promoted to starter only because a trade vs a career starting rb, who has had 4 games of 150+ games, with to 190+ games.....

yea we're real homers here:rolleyes:

rawr

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
proline said:
The 1st and 2nd game stats figure into the #2 ranking, along with the 3rd game stats. My impression of the SF game was that they ran against us pretty well. When I checked the stats, the numbers bore that out. That's all I'm saying.

Right now, I'm hoping we can get some real points on the board early and force teams to have to go to the pass.

The 49'ers 1st team scored 0 points against the 1st team Dallas "D"

Where is there any cause for concern?

How did last season's rushing champion fare against your "soft run defense"?

Oh, that's right - 6 rushes for 13 yards......

I find that acceptable.

As Bear said, the Cowboys "D" ranks second versus the rush - against Alexander, Bush, McAlister, and Gore.

I sure can live with how they've played thus far!

:bow:

Let the Commanders worry about their putrid run defense!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
yea a career back up running back, that got promoted to starter only because a trade vs a career starting rb, who has had 4 games of 150+ games, with to 190+ games.....

yea we're real homers here:rolleyes:

rawr

Larry Johnson was a backup for 2 years. Last year was Frank Gore's rookie season and may I say, he avg 4.8 a carry. His enitire career you spoke of has only been a single season.

I say it again. The quote was nothing more than homerism.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
nyc said:
Larry Johnson was a backup for 2 years. Last year was Frank Gore's rookie season and may I say, he avg 4.8 a carry. His enitire career you spoke of has only been a single season.

I say it again. The quote was nothing more than homerism.

hmm last time i checked Troy hambrick averaged over 5 ypc as a backup. Frank Gore has done nothing to show he can even andle being a starter. When Gore starts producing big games, at big times (JJ @ carolina) then you have an argument but as of right now

JJ> Gore

untill proven otherwise

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Kevan Barlow also looked like a barnburner as a backup runner in SF. We saw how that turned out.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
You guys are all missing the point....go back and watch the game and you'll see that Gore ran consistently on the 1st team defense. One time Ellis didn't get there in time to help which is not too surprising, he should be fine by Jacksonville. Roy can't help as much because they need him covering Vernon Davis...he's too much for Watkins.

I definitely see reason for concern but there's still plenty of time to get it right. They shouldn't be horrible but at this point I think the run defense will be the "weak point" of the defense.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Gore ran consistently for 3-5 yards behind the Left side of the line, you know where we had LA, amoung other good Run blockers. When gore went to the right side he was shut down. And Because of a mental Error by Ware he got a bigger gain. Gore was what the first RB to actually do something agianst our Run defense. Even the Hall Of RB Bush did nothing against us. Go back and watch all the games before rushing to judgement about a preseason game

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
hmm last time i checked Troy hambrick averaged over 5 ypc as a backup. Frank Gore has done nothing to show he can even andle being a starter. When Gore starts producing big games, at big times (JJ @ carolina) then you have an argument but as of right now

JJ> Gore

untill proven otherwise

Well if Gore hasn't proven he can be a starter than why is he now the starter in SF? Whoops, I guess you weren't reading what was said.

FYI, JJ is still unproven. If he was proven Parcells wouldn't keep reiterating that players get three years to PROVE themselves when he talks about Jones. Whoops again!

superpunk

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
Gore ran consistently for 3-5 yards behind the Left side of the line, you know where we had LA, amoung other good Run blockers. When gore went to the right side he was shut down. And Because of a mental Error by Ware he got a bigger gain. Gore was what the first RB to actually do something agianst our Run defense. Even the Hall Of RB Bush did nothing against us. Go back and watch all the games before rushing to judgement about a preseason game

4 ypc isn't exactly shutting him down, but his big runs definitely did come to the right.

superpunk

Reaction score
nyc said:
Well if Gore hasn't proven he can be a starter than why is he now the starter in SF? Whoops, I guess you weren't reading what was said.

FYI, JJ is still unproven. If he was proven Parcells wouldn't keep reiterating that players get three years to PROVE themselves when he talks about Jones. Whoops again!

He is more proven than Gore, however. Gore has one start to his name, and performed decent in that game, but nothing to sell the farm for. You may believe that Gore has more potential, could be better in the future, whatever - but right now, JJ is the more proven, more dynamic back. There's really no way around that.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
nyc said:

It's i guess rocket sceince when a team trades away the starting RB and so the second RB is now the starter.

And FYI JJ is still the starter, has been everytime he stepped on the field. Gore is only a starter by virtue of trade, he has yet to step on the field and play a season as the starter.

again

JJ > Gore

untill proven otherwise

JJ 4 150+ yard games

Gore 0

Nothing you say changes that fact

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
superpunk said:
He is more proven than Gore, however. Gore has one start to his name, and performed decent in that game, but nothing to sell the farm for. You may believe that Gore has more potential, could be better in the future, whatever - but right now, JJ is the more proven, more dynamic back. There's really no way around that.

I never said Gore was the new greatest running back in history. I just said that proclaiming Jones is better than Gore at this point is nothing more than homerism. Jones has been the starter coming into the season the last two years and has yet to break 1,000 yards. He has shown flashes, but flashes don't make you great. Consistency does. This year is Gore's first year and first shot at what Jones has had two years already. Nobody said Larry Johnson was the greatest until Priest Holmes went down and Johnson got to start. Just like Gore will get to do now.

It's put up or shut up for both Gore and Jones.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
It's i guess rocket sceince when a team trades away the starting RB and so the second RB is now the starter.

And FYI JJ is still the starter, has been everytime he stepped on the field. Gore is only a starter by virtue of trade, he has yet to step on the field and play a season as the starter.

again

JJ > Gore

untill proven otherwise

JJ 4 150+ yard games

Gore 0

Nothing you say changes that fact

That 110% true. It's also 110% true that Parcells gave him one last year to show something or he is gone. I want Jones to succeed, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying, he isn't a great running back until he proves he is. So far he has only proven that he can get injured every year he has played.

superpunk

Reaction score
I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from....
nyc said:
I never said Gore was the new greatest running back in history.
Noone claimed you did.

I just said that proclaiming Jones is better than Gore at this point is nothing more than homerism.
It's really not even close.

Jones has been the starter coming into the season the last two years and has yet to break 1,000 yards.
Gore has never been the starter and has yet to break a thousand yards. Julius played well enough his rookie year to be declared starter, Gore did not.

He has shown flashes, but flashes don't make you great.
I'm not sure why you are refuting the notion that JJ is great. Noone said he was. This is a non-existant issue.

Consistency does.

OK.....Gore has established what consistency? Has Gore shown he can handle a large workload multiple games in a row? Has Gore put up strings of impressive games? What, other than him having a pretty good game against the Texans (the WORST run defense in the league last year) gives you the impression Gore has established any sort of consistency?

Nobody said Larry Johnson was the greatest until Priest Holmes went down and Johnson got to start. Just like Gore will get to do now.

There we have it. Gore is not more consistent, or better in any way than Julius right now. He has not proved it on the field. You may believe he has the potential to be, and you may end up being right - but that does not make you right currently. JJ is the better, more proven RB, today.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
nyc said:
That 110% true. It's also 110% true that Parcells gave him one last year to show something or he is gone. I want Jones to succeed, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying, he isn't a great running back until he proves he is. So far he has only proven that he can get injured every year he has played.

no one has. I have yet to say Jones is great. You said JJ being better than Gore is homerism, i have proven multiple times that JJ is better than Gore as of Today. JJ may have been injured the last two years, but everytimie he has come back he was the starter, Gore has never been the starter full time. When he gets on the field and PROVES he is better than JJ, then you can make the argument, but untill then

JJ > Gore

And that is a fact

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Ok, your just being argumentative. It's like saying Bledsoe is the 7th best quarterback of all times because he is 7th all-time in passing yards or he is 5th best because he is 5th all-time in completions.

Is Carson Palmer better than Brett Favre? Shawn Merriman better than Lawrence Taylor? We don't know yet. Both are early in their careers, but one thing is for sure. You can compare them. As I noted, consistancy breeds greatness. Looking at what I've seen from Jones thus far, I wouldn't discount a straight up trade for Gore.