Soft Corners...

Bizwah

Reaction score
Anyone else bothered by this?

We have a very good CB (Newman)...another who's strength is his size (Henry), and two up and comers.

Yet, they play soft....Mike Martz merely pointed out what most of us here have known for years.

Why does this continue? It's not as if our pass rush isn't good. It's not great, but it's better than what many other teams play....and they play their CBs right on the WR.

I dread 3rd and longs with this team. Anything in between 3rd and 5 and 3rd and twelve make me cringe. I see our guys just giving teams an automatic 10 yards.

I don't want to complain in a nice win. It was nice to see our team score some points. But next week we play a team we should smash. But watch....Hasselback will carve us like a Thanksgiving turkey if we play off like we did today.

Last week had me excited. We were able to rush the QB and we had our CBs play press coverage on the WRs. We were dominating vs Washington. Maybe WP sees something I don't.....but if a guy like Martz is willing to come right out and say our CBs are soft...shouldn't that tell WP something?

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
newman did piss me off with that one pass that was floated up to about the 5....Newman had no business giving up the completion. He was in perfect position and just stood there like his feet were in cement.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Biggems;2437942 said:
newman did piss me off with that one pass that was floated up to about the 5....Newman had no business giving up the completion. He was in perfect position and just stood there like his feet were in cement.

I think the pass was so bad that he couldn't locate it.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I agree. Hasselback and the Seahawk WRs will kill us with quick hitting pass routes, if we play a lot of soft coverage.

Daudr

Reaction score
Bizwah;2437926 said:

We have a very good CB (Newman)...another who's strength is his size (Henry), and two up and comers.

Yet, they play soft....Mike Martz merely pointed out what most of us here have known for years.

Why does this continue? It's not as if our pass rush isn't good. It's not great, but it's better than what many other teams play....and they play their CBs right on the WR.

I dread 3rd and longs with this team. Anything in between 3rd and 5 and 3rd and twelve make me cringe. I see our guys just giving teams an automatic 10 yards.

I don't want to complain in a nice win. It was nice to see our team score some points. But next week we play a team we should smash. But watch....Hasselback will carve us like a Thanksgiving turkey if we play off like we did today.

Last week had me excited. We were able to rush the QB and we had our CBs play press coverage on the WRs. We were dominating vs Washington. Maybe WP sees something I don't.....but if a guy like Martz is willing to come right out and say our CBs are soft...shouldn't that tell WP something?

It really pisses me off. We gave up two (maybe more) 3rd and longs and both fricken garbage TDs because of that damn soft zone we play. I'm sick of it.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is frustrating. What a stubborn coaching staff. Results do not move them.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about the poor safety play,man they looked slow in coverage today

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Eskimo;2437950 said:
I think the pass was so bad that he couldn't locate it.

wow, he lost it in the sun? it isnt a baseball....that is hilarious

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Bizwah;2437926 said:

Absolutely NOT!

D is playing Great! LEarn to LOVE IT!!!

WOOOOOOO GO WADE!!!!

Bizwah

Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more I give credence to the writer that said, "the people in Dallas tend to overrate their talent".

Maybe we would like to play up on the WR, but something in practice is showing Wade we'd better not.

Oh well.....we won. But, you have to wonder if we could be more dominating if we would let our CBs be more aggressive.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Those two quick back-to-back Frisco TDs in the 4th really irked me. It ruined any chance of getting our starters off the field. Who told the D they could let up?

jimmy40

Reaction score
bbgun;2438053 said:
Those two quick back-to-back Frisco TDs in the 4th really irked me. It ruined any chance of getting our starters off the field. Who told the D they could let up?
Campo.

Everson24

Reaction score
I was getting roasted in the live chat because I was upset with the soft zones of our defense with 9 minutes left. We were only up 2 scores at that time. I've seen too many games lost that way.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Everson24;2438079 said:
I was getting roasted in the live chat because I was upset with the soft zones of our defense with 9 minutes left. We were only up 2 scores at that time. I've seen too many games lost that way.

Playing not to lose.

It irked me to actually hear this from another coach. And this coach is one that seems to eat our defenses for lunch.

I don't know that we have zone CBs on this team.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Bizwah;2437926 said:

I hear ya....I have LONG been frustrated with this....we are allowing the WR's to get off on their routes and it dies NOT allow our DE's get get the presure on the QB that they otherwaise would have....it's remarkable that Ware has as many as he DOES have.

We should be playing up on the man more and more. I agree with you though....3rd and long is almost like a given that our opponenets are going to make a 1st down, which is the most frustrating thing of all.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You guys are unbelievable.

We had a lead the majority of the game.

Even when the game is close you cant play your corners close every single snap.

Watch any game. Teams dont press the entire game. Get real.

Dallas was dominant on D.

When we got such a lead that the 49ers had to run longer routes the smart thing to do is back off some.

Wade has been playing more aggressive coverages lately. Pay attention noobs.

Bizwah

Reaction score
CATCH17;2438117 said:
You guys are unbelievable.

We had a lead the majority of the game.

Even when the game is close you cant play your corners close every single snap.

Watch any game. Teams dont press the entire game. Get real.

Dallas was dominant on D.

When we got such a lead that the 49ers had to run longer routes the smart thing to do is back off some.

Wade has been playing more aggressive coverages lately. Pay attention noobs.

This has nothing to do with ONE game. This has been a problem for years. The Giants killed us in the playoff game due to us playing off. We gave them first downs.

I wacth the other teams in our division play aggressively in coverage. I see us drop back into soft coverage on third down all the time.

Again, it's not just me.....Mike Martz was the one that said it too.

I've heard us complain about a lack of pass rush/pressure for years...but we see our CBs playing a soft zone, allowing the opposing QB to pick us apart.

Great win.....I thought we dominated today....but there are still some things that really bother me about this team.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Bizwah;2438134 said:
This has nothing to do with ONE game. This has been a problem for years. The Giants killed us in the playoff game due to us playing off. We gave them first downs.

I wacth the other teams in our division play aggressively in coverage. I see us drop back into soft coverage on third down all the time.

Again, it's not just me.....Mike Martz was the one that said it too.

I've heard us complain about a lack of pass rush/pressure for years...but we see our CBs playing a soft zone, allowing the opposing QB to pick us apart.

Great win.....I thought we dominated today....but there are still some things that really bother me about this team.

And like I said. Wade has been playing much more aggressive coverages since the Tampa game.

If Brad Johnson and TO wouldn't have given away the Giants game we would be pretty darn dominant on D over the last 4 games.

3 of the last 4 we have been really good on that side of the ball. Since Wade "took over".