Solari and the blocking scheme

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't get people blaming Pollard when he gets tackled the minute he takes the ball from Dak. McCarthy called a lot of first down runs tonight and the Lions were clearly playing run on first down. But I think teh real problem with the running game is our TEs and receiver suck at blocking.

stiletto

Reaction score
I don't get people blaming Pollard when he gets tackled the minute he takes the ball from Dak. McCarthy called a lot of first down runs tonight and the Lions were clearly playing run on first down. But I think teh real problem with the running game is our TEs and receiver suck at blocking.
The only complaint I have with watching Pollard, is he always double steps or stutter steps looking for a big hole. He seems to have trouble running it right in there sometimes. By the time he does his stutter, the orgiinal hole is gone. I think sometimes he just needs to run full into the hole. Might be able to burst ahead for 2-3-4 yards instead of losing 2-3. Just my opinion.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
People will give Dak grief for some things. Pollard a lot of grief for his poor stats. The offensive linemen have a lot of complaints against them.

Watching the game, how many times do we see an opposing defensive player run completely free? This happens on pass plays and run plays. It frequently seems like it is by design but at other times, just poor communication.

You know that draw play out of the shotgun where Pollard gets maybe 2 yards out of? Do people see multiple offensive linemen pulling into the hole and Pollard having to wait for them, only to be tackled by backside pursuit?

Overall, I think Solari has been at the root cause of a lot of Dallas' problems this year. Maybe its Schottenheimer. This kind of stuff didn't happen last year with largely the same group of players.

The passing game and Dak's mobility has frequently covered up just how bad this issue has been. IMO, Solari and possibly Schottenheimer have been Mike Nolan level fiascos as coaches and its just being hid by other aspects of the team.

Side note: Steele kind of sucks. I don't blame Solari for that. I'm specifically talking about how the blocking is designed and coached. Watching around the league, I don't see these breakdowns frequently.
With Pollard’s skill set, we should be an outside zone team not an inside team that favors more of a power back

vlad

Reaction score
People will give Dak grief for some things. Pollard a lot of grief for his poor stats. The offensive linemen have a lot of complaints against them.

Watching the game, how many times do we see an opposing defensive player run completely free? This happens on pass plays and run plays. It frequently seems like it is by design but at other times, just poor communication.

You know that draw play out of the shotgun where Pollard gets maybe 2 yards out of? Do people see multiple offensive linemen pulling into the hole and Pollard having to wait for them, only to be tackled by backside pursuit?

Overall, I think Solari has been at the root cause of a lot of Dallas' problems this year. Maybe its Schottenheimer. This kind of stuff didn't happen last year with largely the same group of players.

The passing game and Dak's mobility has frequently covered up just how bad this issue has been. IMO, Solari and possibly Schottenheimer have been Mike Nolan level fiascos as coaches and its just being hid by other aspects of the team.

Side note: Steele kind of sucks. I don't blame Solari for that. I'm specifically talking about how the blocking is designed and coached. Watching around the league, I don't see these breakdowns frequently.
I was laughing a few weeks ago heading this narrative that our oline was playing well. They haven’t run block well all year. I think you’ve nailed one of the most obvious examples of outside of Bob Sturm, dfw reporters are largely useless.

Great post.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
The only complaint I have with watching Pollard, is he always double steps or stutter steps looking for a big hole. He seems to have trouble running it right in there sometimes. By the time he does his stutter, the orgiinal hole is gone. I think sometimes he just needs to run full into the hole. Might be able to burst ahead for 2-3-4 yards instead of losing 2-3. Just my opinion.
This is why a big bruiser, run down the hill back is an important tool to have. For games like this, just take the rock and run forward, but TP dances a lot waiting for the blocking to develop and almost never works.

Also, they never run TP to his strengths, outside, use his speed.

Cmac

Reaction score
I've never seen a RB supposed to get yards without blocking until Zeke got maligned on this board. Our OL is trash. Stop the myth that our OL is good. We need to look in the portal like Colorado Buffs are doing.

Rayman70

Reaction score
the scheme isnt the issue. Its the players. Solari is fine. Anytime we face a big physical dline, we get manhandled in the run game. They suck run blocking. WE lack the personnel. Pollard had nowhere to run. We must draft linebackers and oline next draft.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yup. Run game is a disgrace
the line is bad run blocking. Martin isnt what he was. Its obvious. Tyron looks washed at times. Tyler Smith is getting manhandled at times. I thought Bass actually outplayed him and the run game improved after Bass entered the game. Gotta retool the line in the offseason.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I've never seen a RB supposed to get yards without blocking until Zeke got maligned on this board. Our OL is trash. Stop the myth that our OL is good. We need to look in the portal like Colorado Buffs are doing.
exactly. Solari can only coach the guys he has to work with. Which aint great.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The running game sucks. It has all year. Poor scheme. Poor execution. Poor play calling. It seems our RB's are hit at or behind the LOS a dozen times every game.

What really irks me is MM calling those Pollard up the middle runs. Last night for example, it just wasn't working. Yet there we were running it all game long. It felt like we were in 2nd and long all night.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Solari was a horrendous hire, not a fan of his coaching......Steele has been horrendous and Biadasz isn't to far behind in his horrendous play either.

tm1119

Reaction score
Something is definitely wrong with the blocking scheme. People are complaining about Pollard when there’s literally no where for him to run on 90% of his touches. He’s being hit before the LOS on most of his runs.

Play calling also doesn’t help. As a fan watching the TV broadcast I’m able to successfully predict that the cowboys are running before the snap at least 75% of the time. Can imagine it’s closer to 100% by opposing players and coaches. McCarthy being way too predictable is also a big part of the problem

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
the line is bad run blocking. Martin isnt what he was. Its obvious. Tyron looks washed at times. Tyler Smith is getting manhandled at times. I thought Bass actually outplayed him and the run game improved after Bass entered the game. Gotta retool the line in the offseason.
Yup. Better late than never. I would like to see if Bass can play center as well. Steele is always hit or miss, but they did pay him so he's not going anywhere. Just have to hope he at least gets back to his 22 form after a year to recover from the injury.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Solari was a horrendous hire, not a fan of his coaching......Steele has been horrendous and Biadasz isn't to far behind in his horrendous play either.
Steele isnt 100%. Biadaz hasnt been bad but we do need to get bigger at center. Tyron is too old, its clear. When I say old, Im talking more about the mileage on him. Solari can only coach who he has.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yup. Better late than never. I would like to see if Bass can play center as well. Steele is always hit or miss, but they did pay him so he's not going anywhere. Just have to hope he at least gets back to his 22 form after a year to recover from the injury.
exactly. Next year I think Steele will be fine. Bass will start eventually somewhere on the line full time. I like what I see with him. The Hoffman kid might be used as well.

Adiba1977

Reaction score
Don’t need a scheme. Block the guy in front of you. Can’t even do that. sBLOCK!!!!!

Rayman70

Reaction score
The running game sucks. It has all year. Poor scheme. Poor execution. Poor play calling. It seems our RB's are hit at or behind the LOS a dozen times every game.

What really irks me is MM calling those Pollard up the middle runs. Last night for example, it just wasn't working. Yet there we were running it all game long. It felt like we were in 2nd and long all night.
while the Pollard runs were frustrating to be sure, I thought MM called a decent game. The problem was the opponent we were facing is a dang good football team, an 11 win big physical team that will punch you. We took their best and beat them. Sometimes you gotta consider the team we are facing. But yeah, I rather see us maybe do a QB roll out pass option to Ferguson or something on first down to get positive yards. Like u said, we couldn't run it all night really. Other than that, MM called a good game but the Lions were plain nasty against the run and limited us greatly. Give them credit.