Some areas why the team struggled in close games

Verdict

Reaction score
I believe the Cowboys ranked 30th in the league in close games. Here are some areas that made them unsuccessful, in no particular order:

-Defense was tied for the league worst in interceptions with just 7 all year. The team was -1 turnover margin for the year. The Patriots led the league with plus 21 with 25 interceptions.

-The Cowboy Special Teams ranked 31st in the league. Dead last in kickoff returns. Dead last in punting. Had one of the most inconsistent place kickers that struggles making kicks inside the 40. Offense had to drive all fields, where their kickers killed drives ending with zero points.

-The offense was one of the league worst scoring points in the 1st quarter. This put them in that chasing the scoreboard mode for the majority of the games. Could be the reason why we saw the Cowboy Offense lead the league in offensive yardage. Also, had the offense getting away from their run game way too early.

-The Cowboy Offense rank 16th in scoring TD's in the red zone. We can point to questionable play calling and lack of execution.

-Penalties-the team seemed to get penalties called at the absolute worst times that either killed drives and allowed teams to score points.

Just a little improvement in these areas, it could mean another 2-3 victories.

These won’t show up in the stat line, but these contributed as well:

1. Dak going for the kill on a long pass on 3rd down instead of trying to just get the first down.

2. Piss poor play calling at critical times in the game.

3. Being too conservative in play calling at times.

4. Not being able to stop the run at critical times in the game.

5. Not being able to run the ball at critical times in the game.

6. Failing to make any adjustments during a game.

7. Not game planning at all. Just relying on beating the man across from you.

8. Not taking advantage of mismatches that played into our hands. That just wouldn’t be fair.

9. Failing to show up and play until halftime.

Don’t worry, guys. If you need more, let me know. I will be here all week.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
STs alone being just average probably adds 2 wins last season. Hard to imagine there being a unit across the entire league being as poorly coached.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
In 2019 the Cowboys could not stop the run.

2019 Wins when the opponent have 100 or more yards rushing:
- Cowboys Offense scores 35, 37, 37 & 35.

2019 Losses when the opponent had less than 100 yards rushing:
- Jets, both Tyron and La'el were out of that game.

The reason the Cowboys kept the score close to the Patriots is that the Patriots are not a dominant running team and don't use much zone blocking which was the Achilles heal of the Cowboys defense.

Teams like the Vikings and Packers controlled those games with their zone running game.

-Inability to stop the run was certainly another factor. If I remember, the games A. Woods missed, the run defense was even worst.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
-Inability to stop the run was certainly another factor. If I remember, the games A. Woods missed, the run defense was even worst.

Yes, there was a noticeable difference when Woods was in the game.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
STs alone being just average probably adds 2 wins last season. Hard to imagine there being a unit across the entire league being as poorly coached.

The Cowboys LB position group might have been #2 on the list of poorly coached units...

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yes, there was a noticeable difference when Woods was in the game.

What is going to be interesting is the new DT's signed, were apart of the league worst against the run in Carolina. Now stopping the run isn't just about the DT position, but it's an important.

I think Lve could be the key for a Cowboy Defensive turnaround. When he was healthy, he had strong instincts and was a very sound tackler.

817Gill

Reaction score
The Cowboys LB position group might have been #2 on the list of poorly coached units...
Very underrated. All-Pro caliber guys don’t just steps back for no reason. Bloom/Richard beef contributed as well. Can’t believe people felt like Jaylon Smith’s knee re-degenerated lol, this year with Nolan will be a lot better.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He makes 3.5m, contributes on special teams and is one of the better blockers in the league. I'm also not sure he'd be the backup, it'd be good competition I reckon.
he was relegated to 3rd string now and although part of the offense, wasnt' the dominant player he is expected to be as a first roudn pick and as highly as he was touted. in Dallas, can he beat Jarwin? perhaps. perhaps someone we can team with Jarwin. but 3.5M is a lot for a guy averaging 34 catches a year....Jarwin as understudy and backup, with 25% of snaps witten had got 31 catches last year.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I believe the Cowboys ranked 30th in the league in close games. Here are some areas that made them unsuccessful, in no particular order:

-Defense was tied for the league worst in interceptions with just 7 all year. The team was -1 turnover margin for the year. The Patriots led the league with plus 21 with 25 interceptions.

-The Cowboy Special Teams ranked 31st in the league. Dead last in kickoff returns. Dead last in punting. Had one of the most inconsistent place kickers that struggles making kicks inside the 40. Offense had to drive all fields, where their kickers killed drives ending with zero points.

-The offense was one of the league worst scoring points in the 1st quarter. This put them in that chasing the scoreboard mode for the majority of the games. Could be the reason why we saw the Cowboy Offense lead the league in offensive yardage. Also, had the offense getting away from their run game way too early.

-The Cowboy Offense rank 16th in scoring TD's in the red zone. We can point to questionable play calling and lack of execution.

-Penalties-the team seemed to get penalties called at the absolute worst times that either killed drives and allowed teams to score points.

these were all things that good coaching could and should of solved

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very underrated. All-Pro caliber guys don’t just steps back for no reason. Bloom/Richard beef contributed as well. Can’t believe people felt like Jaylon Smith’s knee re-degenerated lol, this year with Nolan will be a lot better.

The biggest problem was the lack of coordination between the LBs and the DLine.

The DL scheme was a huge contributor to the problems with Jaylon and other LBs.
- Offenses routinely were able to get 2 OL free to block LBs on zone running plays.
- LBs moving sideways vs OLinemen is a huge disadvantage for the LBs.

morat1959

Reaction score
Cutting Maher much earlier and signing Forbath 5 Games Earlier would have given us 2-3 wins more too lol
Wouldn’t have done anything but cost us draft slots. The team wasn’t going to the SB anyway.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree. Dak throughout his career has been great closing out games, but the knock on him even going back to the magical rookie year are the slow starts.
That doesnt mean coaching isnt a factor in that, but I think it's a fair area to be critical/skeptical until he proves otherwise.

I think all too often Dallas would start games constantly running on 1st down leaving themselves in bad situation. I think slow start and conservative game plan can go hand in hand. I always knew they were looking to control the ball and TOP to keep defense on the sideline and when it is working it is great but when teams are keying on run game on early downs you can set yourself up for slow starts.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

You are forgetting the #1 reason...…...One word...………….GARRETT

Williamsboys

Reaction score
There were games when we had the ball in the red zone early and had to settle for a field goal. With our running game and offensive line I expect alot better this year.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Turnovers and STs pretty much tell that whole story.

TheHerd

Reaction score
If whatever was wrong with Jones is still wrong, we don't need competition at punter, we need a new punter, period.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
0-5 on the last drive.....

#1: Against the Saints, I wished Amari didn't commit that offensive pass interference penalty, because Dak made a great throw to Cobb through traffic with 5 seconds to go, but it was just 15 yards short of field goal range.

#2: Against the Jets, got the touchdown just didn't convert the 2-point conversion

#3: Against the Vikings, I didn't like the playcalling on the last series. 2nd and 2 on the 11 yard line, and you run Elliott twice when the first time didn't work should've been obvious not to try again. He makes it 4th and 5 and puts us in a do or die situation.

#4: Against the Patriots, never mind the tripping call, but Cooper nearly made an incredible diving catch but it just slightly hit the ground. That would've put us in great position to score. Just a tough break there.

#5: Against the Eagles, Gallup just didn't make the catch on an on-target throw that would've scored a TD. Those are just the plays you have to make.

I don't think we were that bad apart from going 0-5 on the last drive. 8-8 vs 13-3 hinged on the last drive of the game which we weren't successful on 5 out of 5 times. That type of bad luck I hope we don't see again in a long time. We annihilated half the teams we played, which is pretty impressive. Don't think that many teams destroyed half the teams they played last year.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Weird how qb can't be part of issue. Somehow 100% on coaching.
It's not that QB "can't" be part of the problem, it's just that he isn't. But people such as yourself will never accept that determination. For your sort, there must be a head taken and that head is Dak's. And you wonder why you are labeled a hater.