Some draft thoughts

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
-Even without picks in the middle of the draft, Im not big on moving down. The middle of this draft is weak. The top strong. Get the best player you can at 24. If they do move down, Id rather they get 2025 picks. 3 starters is a good draft. I'd even consider gutting day 3 further to ensure I get a high quality guy in the 2nd or 3rd. There are more Reggie Robinson and Jalen Jelks in this draft than normal. And fewer Jake Ferguson and Donavan Wilsons than normal

-4 OC's should top 90. Very rare. Alot of drafts Powers would go ahead of our pick. However I think OT talent could push him down. Very strong possibility for 24. The best OC in FA is the guy we are letting walk, so it's likely either Powers/Barton in round 1, Frazier in 2 or Van Pran in round 3. Frazier or Van Pran they will likely have to be aggressive and move up for

- OT in the first is still my hope. Guyton or Mims seem like the most likely to be there. Both a Pro Bowl LT caliber talents. Rare thing to have available at 24. Its most likely take an OT there, or Tyler is your long term LT. Which isnt a bad idea mind you. There is also alot of good OG talent in this draft.

- I dont love or hate the DE's that could be available. Darius Robinson is a very intriguing guy. Traits guy right now, but if his pass rush ability develops further could be a very outside/inside guy. I can see him being a similar player to Greg Rousseau. Latu is a possibility due to questions about his neck. He typically wouldnt be there. Chop Robinson is more of what we have, but he is a potential 12 sack guy. I like the idea of a DE at 24 more than I like the players or fits. If Darius was more polished or Chop was a bigger Id be all for it

- I think the talent at WR on day 2 is rich. Legette is a potential #1 WR. If somehow he is there in the 2nd you sprint to the podium. Both Texas WR's should be in consideration for our 2nd if they are there. McConkey I believe will be a better pro than college WR. Corley and Wilson are matchup nightmares as #2 WRs. Due to position depth, McConkey, Corley and Wilson could be 3rd round options. None are #1 WR types and could get passed over in the top 70. Wilson is very interesting in that I believe he can play outside as well as being a big slot/move TE

cnuball21

Reaction score
Agree with most…but think there are better FA options at C then bringing Tyler back and I hope we’re talking to them.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Depending on how things go in the first 20 picks this year could really set us up in the draft. There is a good chance 5 or 6 QBs go in the top 20. The need for young QBs on a rookie contract for up to 5 years will make teams reach early. The combine will definitely help or hurt our cause.

If all 6 QBs go top 20 then we already know 5 WRs and 3 Edge guys and 4 CBs will also go within the top 23 picks. So the OT will be around the top 4 leaving guys like Mims, Morgan, Guyton with JPJ as the OC guy. That doesn't take the 4 or 5 odd ball picks of guys most don't consider 1st round guys but teams tend to pick anyway. Nor the trades that ultimately will happen in the 1st.

For me, I would be very happy with Mims especially if we resign Tyron Smith for any OT drafted to learn and then if Barton is available somewhere in the mid/late 40s to move up from 56 to get him. That would almost set the OL for 10 years as I see Bass either taking over for Martin or being the OC and Barton taking over for Martin in a year or two. Either way we would have great run blocking and equally as good pass protection. A good run game will make our passing game that much better.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Depending on how things go in the first 20 picks this year could really set us up in the draft. There is a good chance 5 or 6 QBs go in the top 20. The need for young QBs on a rookie contract for up to 5 years will make teams reach early. The combine will definitely help or hurt our cause.

If all 6 QBs go top 20 then we already know 5 WRs and 3 Edge guys and 4 CBs will also go within the top 23 picks. So the OT will be around the top 4 leaving guys like Mims, Morgan, Guyton with JPJ as the OC guy. That doesn't take the 4 or 5 odd ball picks of guys most don't consider 1st round guys but teams tend to pick anyway. Nor the trades that ultimately will happen in the 1st.

For me, I would be very happy with Mims especially if we resign Tyron Smith for any OT drafted to learn and then if Barton is available somewhere in the mid/late 40s to move up from 56 to get him. That would almost set the OL for 10 years as I see Bass either taking over for Martin or being the OC and Barton taking over for Martin in a year or two. Either way we would have great run blocking and equally as good pass protection. A good run game will make our passing game that much better.
I think Barton is going in the late first. He could be a candidate for 24 if Powers goes higher than expected. If he gets into the 40's, I definitely think you start making calls

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Agree with most…but think there are better FA options at C then bringing Tyler back and I hope we’re talking to them.
You are correct. What I should have said is the Cowboys arent likely to sign a better FA. A guy they sign would likely be a cheap band aide

baltcowboy

Reaction score
We need a center guys. No matter if we get one through free agency or the draft we cannot bring Tyler back. He was what everyone attacked on our offensive line and had two all pro guards protecting him. :facepalm:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We need a center guys. No matter if we get one through free agency or the draft we cannot bring Tyler back. He was what everyone attacked on our offensive line and had two all pro guards protecting him. :facepalm:
This is a great to need an OC. 4 guys are walk in starters and all 4 have Pro Bowl potential

Gambit

Reaction score
I don't. That'd be tampering.

In all seriousness in a normal off-season Dallas does try to shore up "needs" in FA so not drafting for it. This is an abnormal year in we have a new DC who needs investment to make his system work well and a OL heavy draft at the top of it.

I don't see them investing a lot in FA on the OL.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

In all seriousness in a normal off-season Dallas does try to shore up "needs" in FA so not drafting for it. This is an abnormal year in we have a new DC who needs investment to make his system work well and a OL heavy draft at the top of it.

I think you will probably see a cheap OC that has some starting experience. Someone like Jonathan Harrison

cnuball21

Reaction score

They might cover with a cheap option but we’ll likely head into the draft and reach for needs.

Gambit

Reaction score
They might cover with a cheap option but we’ll likely head into the draft and reach for needs.
Yeah, sadly. Not the best circumstances to be doing that.

But, we did it do similar with Lawrence moving up for last real talent at the position, so maybe it works out lol.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yeah, sadly. Not the best circumstances to be doing that.

But, we did it do similar with Lawrence moving up for last real talent at the position, so maybe it works out lol.
It’s inevitable…

I actually like the idea of trading back in the 1st and adding a 3rd. Well probably then take someone like Barton / Frazier but at least we’d have another dart to throw at the board.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
-Even without picks in the middle of the draft, Im not big on moving down. The middle of this draft is weak. The top strong. Get the best player you can at 24. If they do move down, Id rather they get 2025 picks. 3 starters is a good draft. I'd even consider gutting day 3 further to ensure I get a high quality guy in the 2nd or 3rd. There are more Reggie Robinson and Jalen Jelks in this draft than normal. And fewer Jake Ferguson and Donavan Wilsons than normal

-4 OC's should top 90. Very rare. Alot of drafts Powers would go ahead of our pick. However I think OT talent could push him down. Very strong possibility for 24. The best OC in FA is the guy we are letting walk, so it's likely either Powers/Barton in round 1, Frazier in 2 or Van Pran in round 3. Frazier or Van Pran they will likely have to be aggressive and move up for

- OT in the first is still my hope. Guyton or Mims seem like the most likely to be there. Both a Pro Bowl LT caliber talents. Rare thing to have available at 24. Its most likely take an OT there, or Tyler is your long term LT. Which isnt a bad idea mind you. There is also alot of good OG talent in this draft.

- I dont love or hate the DE's that could be available. Darius Robinson is a very intriguing guy. Traits guy right now, but if his pass rush ability develops further could be a very outside/inside guy. I can see him being a similar player to Greg Rousseau. Latu is a possibility due to questions about his neck. He typically wouldnt be there. Chop Robinson is more of what we have, but he is a potential 12 sack guy. I like the idea of a DE at 24 more than I like the players or fits. If Darius was more polished or Chop was a bigger Id be all for it

- I think the talent at WR on day 2 is rich. Legette is a potential #1 WR. If somehow he is there in the 2nd you sprint to the podium. Both Texas WR's should be in consideration for our 2nd if they are there. McConkey I believe will be a better pro than college WR. Corley and Wilson are matchup nightmares as #2 WRs. Due to position depth, McConkey, Corley and Wilson could be 3rd round options. None are #1 WR types and could get passed over in the top 70. Wilson is very interesting in that I believe he can play outside as well as being a big slot/move TE
Out of all prior years, we need to see what happens in fa, to see if they can patch some holes. If not, with just 3 top picks, they are going to have to attack LB, RB, OL in any order.

-Agree, this isn't the year to trade back, strength of the draft is in the 1st rd, where it is usually on day 2. Heard there might be as high as 25 first rd grades, but the talent severely drops off.

-Perfect year to find Tyron's replacement if they decide to keep Tyler inside at Guard. However, I don't trust them to do that if Tyron is resigned for another yr, they don't do forward thinking with their 1st rd pick, nor have him sit on the bench.

-Defensive End is need as we don't know what Zimmer's plan is with Parsons yet, along with the status of both Armstrong and Fowler. Fowler is definitely going to follow Quinn, but Armstrong might stay. Might just need more depth or a day 1 starter, Parsons decision will dictate the need.

-Drafting a receiver makes a ton of sense, but they have to address some needs in fa to do so or it becomes more of a luxury selection. Could definitely see MM asking for another outside weapon, especially a true x receiver.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Fa Center class isn't good at all, Biaz is actually one of the better players on the open market. If this team wants to be able to run the football better, they are going to have to upgrade the position.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Fa Center class isn't good at all, Biaz is actually one of the better players on the open market. If this team wants to be able to run the football better, they are going to have to upgrade the position.
Not great, but good enough where we could make a slight upgrade to free ourselves up in the draft.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Not great, but good enough where we could make a slight upgrade to free ourselves up in the draft.
We cannot run the football at all, slight upgrade does nothing. A good run game, helps our QB, our defense and it travels.

cnuball21

Reaction score
We cannot run the football at all, slight upgrade does nothing. A good run game, helps our QB, our defense and it travels.
I don’t think it’s just a C issue. More to it than that IMO.

Plus - however good we think a 1st round C is it may take a few years for them to reach potential. Not sure that’s ideal if we’re in win now mode for 1/2 years.