Some draft thoughts

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s just a C issue. More to it than that IMO.

Plus - however good we think a 1st round C is it may take a few years for them to reach potential. Not sure that’s ideal if we’re in win now mode for 1/2 years.
I disagree, look what Frederick did right away. Now he was a future hall of famer, but look at the Chiefs, Lions, Ravens they all are excellent running teams that have elite Centers. The Eagles for years was been a great running team cause of Kelce. Unless you have a great rushing scheme, you need one of these type of centers.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Even if this team is in “All in mode”, I don’t see them spending money to keep Tyler or adding a Center in FA. IMO they should spend on a DT, LB, and a RB. These don’t have to be huge deals , but you have to make competitive offers. I think they re-sign Tyron and either JPJ, Barton or Frazier are real options in round1.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I disagree, look what Frederick did right away. Now he was a future hall of famer, but look at the Chiefs, Lions, Ravens they all are excellent running teams that have elite Centers. The Eagles for years was been a great running team cause of Kelce. Unless you have a great rushing scheme, you need one of these type of centers.
Yeah.. I think JPJ, Barton, or Frazier are day 1 starters ready to go. They won’t address the position in FA and I can’t imagine them going into the season with what we currently have on the roster. Van Pran would be another option. Solid player that you hope would be available in round 3.

Carson

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s just a C issue. More to it than that IMO.

Plus - however good we think a 1st round C is it may take a few years for them to reach potential. Not sure that’s ideal if we’re in win now mode for 1/2 years.
I don’t think this is necessarily true. Linderbaum and Creed Humphrey had great success early

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yea, I think expecting a rookie to be great in year 1 is more the exception than the norm. The last stud C that went to the Ravens was mediocre in year 1.

Im not hoping for an outlier when we’re trying to get over the hump.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yea, I think expecting a rookie to be great in year 1 is more the exception than the norm. The last stud C that went to the Ravens was mediocre in year 1.

Im not hoping for an outlier when we’re trying to get over the hump.
I know you aren't a fan of Tyler Smith, but many thought the same with him, that he wouldn't make an impact as a rookie, especially at Tackle. He certainly held his own and played very well. I think JPJ is a far better prospect than Linderbaum at this same juncture, doesn't have limitations in strength and arm length like Linderbaum, who has a similar frame as Biaz. Many scouts believe he is a future all pro at the position.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeah.. I think JPJ, Barton, or Frazier are day 1 starters ready to go. They won’t address the position in FA and I can’t imagine them going into the season with what we currently have on the roster. Van Pran would be another option. Solid player that you hope would be available in round 3.
I think all 4 are better players then Biaz at this same juncture in their careers. If this team wants to continue to be an inside zone team, they are going to need a Center who can move people up the middle. Our run game just has never been the same since Frederick left, not saying any of the 4 are him, but JPJ has that ceiling of an all pro center.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I know you aren't a fan of Tyler Smith, but many thought the same with him, that he wouldn't make an impact as a rookie, especially at Tackle. He certainly held his own and played very well. I think JPJ is a far better prospect than Linderbaum at this same juncture, doesn't have limitations in strength and arm length like Linderbaum, who has a similar frame as Biaz. Many scouts believe he is a future all pro at the position.
I love Smith…I thought we overdrafted but since the move to G he’s turned into an all pro so I’ll gladly eat crow. That being said he was a penalty machine as a rookie…led the league. I admired his willingness to bump outside bc we needed it but saying he played anything better than mediocre is a big stretch IMO.

JPJ and Lindy are just different styles. Linderbaum was PFFs highest C charted in like the last decade so I think they are fairly comparable as prospects.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I love Smith…I thought we overdrafted but since the move to G he’s turned into an all pro so I’ll gladly eat crow. That being said he was a penalty machine as a rookie…led the league. I admired his willingness to bump outside bc we needed it but saying he played anything better than mediocre is a big stretch IMO.

JPJ and Lindy are just different styles. Linderbaum was PFFs highest C charted in like the last decade so I think they are fairly comparable as prospects.
Linderbaum is more of a technician, where JPJ is more of a mauler at the position.

1942willys

Reaction score
weakness at center causes a lot of problems; and we clearly were this year, it really is the #1 priority for a real upgrade.
I see no one in FA that would be that.
So baring a trade which is very doubtful then the draft is the only way
I like Frazier as the guy is nasty and has four years as a starter at Center; he has not moved around. I want a guy that is a master of his position; not one that is a jack of several

cnuball21

Reaction score
Frankly I would like more power; very few techs can move people when you really need them moved
I wouldn’t consider Kelce a power player and he’s arguably one of the of the best ever. Dude is just an elite technician and is always in the right spot.

1942willys

Reaction score
I wouldn’t consider Kelce a power player and he’s arguably one of the of the best ever. Dude is just an elite technician and is always in the right spot.
So was stepknoski and even he admitted there were times when all the technique in the world did not get it done