Some Facts about penalties, the Cowboys, and their opponents

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There’s been a lot of talk this week about NFL officiating, questions about the NFL rigging games against the Cowboys, etc. I’m on record as someone who believes NFL officiating is certainly bad at times but I do not believe there is some evil conspiracy against the Cowboys. Have the officials missed too many holding calls against Micah Parsons? Yes, for sure. Are they “out to get us”? No.

Here are just the basic facts regarding penalties and the Cowboys.
  • The Cowboys have been flagged 108 times for 910 yards. (2nd most in the NFL)
  • Cowboys’ opponents have been flagged 94 times for 860 yards. (5th most yards for an opponent in the NFL)
  • The difference between Cowboys and their opponents‘ is 12 penalties over 15 games.(Cowboys avg 1.25 more penalties per game than our opponents)
  • The difference in penalty yardage of Cowboys vs our opponents is 50 yards. Over 15 games, that averages 3.33 yards per game difference in penalty yardage between Cowboys and opponents.
Website that contains great info on NFL penalties in 2023: https://www.nflpenalties.com/

Starstruck22

Reaction score
There’s been a lot of talk this week about NFL officiating, questions about the NFL rigging games against the Cowboys, etc. I’m on record as someone who believes NFL officiating is certainly bad at times but I do not believe there is some evil conspiracy against the Cowboys. Have the officials missed too many holding calls against Micah Parsons? Yes, for sure. Are they “out to get us”? No.

• Cowboys’ opponents have been flagged 94 times for 860 yards. (5th most yards for an opponent in the NFL)
  • The difference between Cowboys and their opponents‘ is 12 penalties over 15 games.(Cowboys avg 1.25 more penalties per game than our opponents)
  • The difference in penalty yardage of Cowboys vs our opponents is 50 yards. Over 15 games, that averages 3.33 yards per game difference in penalty yardage between Cowboys and opponents.
Website that contains great info on NFL penalties in 2023: https://www.nflpenalties.com/
Missed to maNY???? ….NONE in the last 10 games. YOU ARE BLINDER THAN A BAT~!!!!!!!!!! ENOUGH OF THE ENBABLING!!!!!!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is not so much the number for or against or the yards.
It is the timing of many of them. And not just the Dallas games. As well the missed or non calls.
Seen it all too often in many other games.

Look how many games favored the Eagles to win on a controversial call at the end of the game.
5 wins, with calls or non calls that favored their way.

No, not saying it is rigged or a conspiracy. But it is very strange. So it makes you question it.

wecasa

Reaction score
It is not so much the number for or against or the yards.
It is the timing of many of them. And not just the Dallas games. As well the missed or non calls.
Seen it all too often in many other games.

Look how many games favored the Eagles to win on a controversial call at the end of the game.
5 wins, with calls or non calls that favored their way.

No, not saying it is rigged or a conspiracy. But it is very strange. So it makes you question it.
My sentiments exactly. How many called after a big play? How many called in the last 2 mins of the half or game.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Great website. I've been using it this week but I'm reminded of something: when a conclusion has been reached using emotion, logic will not sway that conclusion.

People will continue to cherry-pick what supports their belief and ignore everything else. I guess that's true about a lot of things in life.

Good effort, though.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great website. I've been using it this week but I'm reminded of something: when a conclusion has been reached using emotion, logic will not sway that conclusion.

People will continue to cherry-pick what supports their belief and ignore everything else. I guess that's true about a lot of things in life.

Good effort, though.
I don’t feel any need to convert anyone. People can make up their own minds as long as they are dealing with facts.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob, I think you are confusing the number of penalties versus the timing of the penalties.

An official could throw or not throw a flag on a single play that changes the outcome of a game.

Beyond that, penalties hurt teams the most on third downs (on either side), so that would be a good starting point.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score

Atlanta, Washington, and Giants are shocking numbers considering they aren't well coached teams

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob, I think you are confusing the number of penalties versus the timing of the penalties.

An official could throw or not throw a flag on a single play that changes the outcome of a game.

Beyond that, penalties hurt teams the most on third downs (on either side), so that would be the next point of comparison to look at.
Good point. I welcome anyone who wants to do that research. I’m tuckered out today, lol.

visionary

Reaction score
Appreciate your effort @Bobhaze but just like the utility of the run game in wins and losses, penalties are not about the volume or the averages, they are about context. A false start or holding on 3rd and 5 changes the whole complexion and may change the points, an illegal contact on a 3rd and 5 changes a lot more as opposed to penalties called on the opponent at the end of games when they are already way ahead.

Point is, context matters and context in these things is very difficult to compile so people rely on averages or total numbers which are basically meaningless

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Everyone knows the Cowboys are the biggest NFL draw and on national TV almost every week. It’s TV money; it’s America’s team.
Sometimes I wonder if referee teams feel a little more excitement just like an opponent does when playing the Cowboys. Excitement and pressure because so many eyes are on them. Do they watch everything even more closely? If it’s a big down situation, do they get amped up, trying to be perfect and either overreact to what they see or freeze up and don’t throw a flag?

I‘m not saying this happens; just wondering if it happens on the biggest stage, Cowboys games. I certainly think this is more likely than any conspiracy or idea of rigging games.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Like someone else stated it's not the number of penalties per say but when they occur. That is the most important thing.

Granted overall dumb penalties kill us
So true. I'd like to see what we lost/gained vs. what opponents lost/gained. That seems out of whack with the naked eye