Some Facts about penalties, the Cowboys, and their opponents

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Some fans aren’t really interested in facts if it doesn’t support their view. Their impartiality and bias has blinders on.

Fans like citizens believe if it doesn’t go their way for their guy or team how they see it must be rigged or fake.
I don't have a view sir I have eyes and a mind. I want only for the games to be called fairly nothing more.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Great website. I've been using it this week but I'm reminded of something: when a conclusion has been reached using emotion, logic will not sway that conclusion.

People will continue to cherry-pick what supports their belief and ignore everything else. I guess that's true about a lot of things in life.

Good effort, though.
Exactly Jake, you see this on almost every fan message board after a loss "the games are rigged, the refs are paid, ect..."

Not just in the NFL, but on NBA teams sites as well.

I guess it is easier emotionally to deal with a loss by convincing yourself that the game is rigged then accepting that maybe your favorite team is just not as good as their opponent on that day.

And if the games are rigged, why cant nobody ever tell me "which games" are the rigged ones, I could bank some serious coin with the bookies if I just knew which games are going to be rigged against the Cowboys. I got two young daughters that need a college education fund, come on guys fill me in on which games are rigged.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Considering usually half of our penalties are pre snap (false starts, illegal shifts, illegal formations, ect...)

I find the conspiracy theory of rigged games hard to belive, unless you belive our own players are in on the conspiracyo_O
Pre snap penalties are on our guys who commit them plain and simple. No conspiracy there.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You do seem to have this overbearing need to defend the refs, though, to the extent that you take plays that could be a penalty and say that they are not or dismiss plays that were called a penalty but were not, such as the holding call against Lamb against Washington. I'm not sure why that brings you great satisfaction, but it's really annoying. Nothing wrong with pointing out clear non-penalties but you go out of your way to paint yourself as some kind of rules expert. No one asked for or needs that.

I dissected the plays that were given in the video, gave my reasons for believing some were holds and some were not (which ended up not being that much different than yours). But I don't see the need to rub upset fans' faces in it.
I actually appreciate the fact Marcus takes the time to try and reason with folks about the rules…and for the most part cordially.

The thing about being on these fan forums is you can get on here and spout unsubstantiated nonsense and if your take is in favor of the team you’ll get virtual pats on the back despite being 100% wrong.

It’s not about defending the refs. It’s about defending reality (in this case the NFL Rulebook). I don’t know how many times I see our fans whining about a flag when it’s evident they don’t even understand the rule.

There was a play a season or two ago where we blocked the punt but then botched the recovery which ended up giving the ball back to our opponent. Of course our fans were incensed about it thinking we were jobbed once again. However, a clear reading of the rules explained why the call was right. Do you think for one second that changed people’s minds? Nope.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Also... it is the blatant non-calls that allow opponents to convert and continue the drive to score when Micah should have gotten a sack. I watched Micah have his jersey neck literally pulled down to his stomach while he was about to tackle the ball carrier and it wasn't called. How many pics are coming to light where Micah is literally in a choke hold (sometimes by 2 opponents). Meanwhile in the same game Tyler is called for holding when his hands are inside the shoulder pads. It is super frustratin.
:hammer: :thumbdown:

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Bob, I think you are confusing the number of penalties versus the timing of the penalties.

An official could throw or not throw a flag on a single play that changes the outcome of a game.

Beyond that, penalties hurt teams the most on third downs (on either side), so that would be a good starting point.
This 100%, a 1st down holding call that doesnt stall a drive is much diferent than a 3rd down holding call that negates a 1st down in the redzone...
again i have not looked this up and no doubt i notice when it happens to my team WAY MORE than i ever notice when it happens to others...there have been games where both teams have 5-6 calls but most of the Cowboys penalties result in drive killers for us or drive extending for the opponent..obviously it could be complete bias on my part because i watch every Cowboys game...

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't have a view sir I have eyes and a mind. I want only for the games to be called fairly nothing more.
Officials aren’t robots . They are going to have human error which is going to present inconsistencies.

The bigger problem IMO is the leagues additional rules which has placed more burden on the subjective calls on QB hits and PI. The game was meant to be physical and with contact .

Preventing targeting and leading with the helmet is fine but it’s gone well beyond that. Can’t hardly touch the QB anymore and not much different with receivers . Too many ticky tacky calls which are far too inconsistent and is always going to be tough for all officials in real time to be accurate .

The real solution is tweak some of these new rules and have booth review and additional Coach challenges . But it must be done in a more exponential manner than the extended stoppage of play now .

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Considering usually half of our penalties are pre snap (false starts, illegal shifts, illegal formations, ect...)

I find the conspiracy theory of rigged games hard to belive, unless you belive our own players are in on the conspiracyo_O
I might agree with you except I see Trent Williams and Lane Johnson repeatedly leaving a full count ahead of the snap and not being flagged for it. Up until recently Jason Kelce was getting away with two fouls.. One in short yardage he would routinely move the ball forward a foot or so and two he does a fairly pronounced head-bob to try to get defenders offside. For whatever reason they have started calling it on him lately and not coincidentally the Eagles offense has mysteriously not been so good.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Officials aren’t robots . They are going to have human error which is going to present inconsistencies.

The bigger problem IMO is the leagues additional rules which has placed more burden on the subjective calls on QB hits and PI. The game was meant to be physical and with contact .

Preventing targeting and leading with the helmet is fine but it’s gone well beyond that. Can’t hardly touch the QB anymore and not much different with receivers . Too many ticky tacky calls which are far too inconsistent and is always going to be tough for all officials in real time to be accurate .

The real solution is tweak some of these new rules and have booth review and additional Coach challenges . But it must be done in a more exponential manner than the extended stoppage of play now .
Now we are talking. I don't care that they call penalties it is after all it is part of their job. They are human and subject to errors as such. I don't have the answers but I know it is a league wide problem and it is ruining football at the pro level. College games are fluid and exciting with way less penalties it seems to me. Just let them play should be the mantra. The game never was perfect and never will be going forward. I don't expect perfection but fairness to both teams. I think you are on to something here in this thread and I am on the same page.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I actually appreciate the fact Marcus takes the time to try and reason with folks about the rules…and for the most part cordially.

The thing about being on these fan forums is you can get on here and spout unsubstantiated nonsense and if your take is in favor of the team you’ll get virtual pats on the back despite being 100% wrong.

It’s not about defending the refs. It’s about defending reality (in this case the NFL Rulebook). I don’t know how many times I see our fans whining about a flag when it’s evident they don’t even understand the rule.

There was a play a season or two ago where we blocked the punt but then botched the recovery which ended up giving the ball back to our opponent. Of course our fans were incensed about it thinking we were jobbed once again. However, a clear reading of the rules explained why the call was right. Do you think for one second that changed people’s minds? Nope.
Some are going to be unreasonable no matter what. I just don't see the need to rub their nose in it. But I guess that's just me. There's a difference in stating what the rules say and being condescending about it. But I'm going to leave it alone. Clearly, Marcus enjoys what he does and is not going to stop based on someone telling him he's being annoying about it.

Nav22

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy's teams got away with holding entire time he was in Green Bay except the final 2 seasons, in which his offense collapsed along with his job.
I'm sorry you weren't aware.
But I'm not surprised.
You're a know-nothing dolt who couldn't comprehend what I wrote. Not surprised.

If Green Bay got away with holding under McCarthy, while Dallas isn't getting away with holding under McCarthy, you literally made my point for me.
:laugh:

Hadenough

Reaction score
There’s been a lot of talk this week about NFL officiating, questions about the NFL rigging games against the Cowboys, etc. I’m on record as someone who believes NFL officiating is certainly bad at times but I do not believe there is some evil conspiracy against the Cowboys. Have the officials missed too many holding calls against Micah Parsons? Yes, for sure. Are they “out to get us”? No.

Here are just the basic facts regarding penalties and the Cowboys.
  • The Cowboys have been flagged 108 times for 910 yards. (2nd most in the NFL)
  • Cowboys’ opponents have been flagged 94 times for 860 yards. (5th most yards for an opponent in the NFL)
  • The difference between Cowboys and their opponents‘ is 12 penalties over 15 games.(Cowboys avg 1.25 more penalties per game than our opponents)
  • The difference in penalty yardage of Cowboys vs our opponents is 50 yards. Over 15 games, that averages 3.33 yards per game difference in penalty yardage between Cowboys and opponents.
Website that contains great info on NFL penalties in 2023: https://www.nflpenalties.com/
Bob Bob Bob! There is a big difference between a holding penalty in the 1st quarter and one in the fourth quarter. There are also a lot of non calls where defensive players mug Dallas WRs. I think most refs they don't care for the Cowboys. I don't think the games are rigged but I do think the Cowboys have to work harder than other teams to over come the refs and they just can't do it against the better teams.

CCBoy

Reaction score
There’s been a lot of talk this week about NFL officiating, questions about the NFL rigging games against the Cowboys, etc. I’m on record as someone who believes NFL officiating is certainly bad at times but I do not believe there is some evil conspiracy against the Cowboys. Have the officials missed too many holding calls against Micah Parsons? Yes, for sure. Are they “out to get us”? No.

Here are just the basic facts regarding penalties and the Cowboys.
  • The Cowboys have been flagged 108 times for 910 yards. (2nd most in the NFL)
  • Cowboys’ opponents have been flagged 94 times for 860 yards. (5th most yards for an opponent in the NFL)
  • The difference between Cowboys and their opponents‘ is 12 penalties over 15 games.(Cowboys avg 1.25 more penalties per game than our opponents)
  • The difference in penalty yardage of Cowboys vs our opponents is 50 yards. Over 15 games, that averages 3.33 yards per game difference in penalty yardage between Cowboys and opponents.
Website that contains great info on NFL penalties in 2023: https://www.nflpenalties.com/
On the difference in penalty types, what is the average loss in terms of lost plays required to over come the damage to return to a similar point in drive again. Real game damage done and how much comparable harm is the result on average. What is the average play count to over come just such a positional point. 15?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Bob Bob Bob! There is a big difference between a holding penalty in the 1st quarter and one in the fourth quarter. There are also a lot of non calls where defensive players mug Dallas WRs. I think most refs they don't care for the Cowboys. I don't think the games are rigged but I do think the Cowboys have to work harder than other teams to over come the refs and they just can't do it against the better teams.
Point of a game changing play is very relevant. Two of them in the first half can to the negative, affect a team's play for the remaining whole game, easily.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're a know-nothing dolt who couldn't comprehend what I wrote. Not surprised.

If Green Bay got away with holding under McCarthy, while Dallas isn't getting away with holding under McCarthy, you literally made my point for me.
:laugh:
I would ask if you're 12
But that is a insult to 12 year Olds.
Run along