Some Facts about penalties, the Cowboys, and their opponents

MarcusRock

Reaction score
#9 against D-Law was a bear hug/arm bar and it also showed Berrios holding D.Wilsons wrist/arm, pulling him away from the ball carrier.

There were two holds on that play in the hole and at the point of attack
Bear hug? Lol. The pulling Guard basically came over and patted Lawrence on the shoulder because Lawrence took himself out of the play so he barely even engaged him. The video must have missed those tidbits because it said nothing of the sort and I didn't see anything of that sort.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yeah, there were a clear 3 and I could maybe be talked into a 4th. We'd have to see a Miami fan's take on what was missed to see the total impact but people don't care to do those things when they win. Lol.
Well, we're also not talking about the totality of what was missed or called. I do think that if we looked at that, we'd see we came up on the short end of good/bad calls or no-calls, as we often do. As I've said elsewhere, there have been a few games where we won that battle and a few where we broke even, but we come up short far more often than I believe that we should. It would have been nice to see how the game would have turned out if it was evenly called.

And I'm not saying there's a conspiracy that causes us to end up on the short end, just that it happens and it would be nice to see it stop. Every team gets bad calls against it or no-calls (refs are human), but that doesn't mean our team should end up with those favoring the other team more often than not.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sointenly!

RULE 12 PLAYER CONDUCT
SECTION 1 BLOCKING, USE OF HANDS AND ARMS
ARTICLE 3. ILLEGAL BLOCK BY OFFENSIVE PLAYER.
Blocking Notes:
(1) When a defensive player is held by an offensive player during the following situations, Offensive holding will not be called:
(a) if the runner is being tackled simultaneously by any defensive player;
(b) if the runner simultaneously goes out of bounds;
(c) if a fair catch is made simultaneously;
(d) if the action clearly occurs after a forward pass has been thrown to a receiver beyond the line of scrimmage;
(e) if the action occurs away from the point of attack and not within close-line play;
(f) if a free kick results in a touchback;
(g) if a scrimmage kick simultaneously becomes a touchback;
(h) if the action is part of a double team block, unless the defender splits the double team, gets to the outside of either
blocker, or is taken to the ground; or
(i) if, during a defensive charge, a defensive player uses a “rip” technique that puts an offensive player in a position
that would normally be holding, unless and until the defender’s feet are taken away from him by the blocker’s action.
(2) If a blocker falls on or pushes down a defender whose momentum is carrying him to the ground, Offensive holding will
not be called unless the blocker prevents the defender from rising from the ground.
(3) If the official has not seen the entire action that sends a defender to the ground, Offensive holding will not be called.
Thank you!

MarcusRock

Reaction score
#9 against D-Law was a bear hug/arm bar and it also showed Berrios holding D.Wilsons wrist/arm, pulling him away from the ball carrier.

There were two holds on that play in the hole and at the point of attack
I just found the link in my history. There's no "bear hug" on Lawrence at all. Like literally at all. Lawrence did all the damage to himself by getting fooled. The Guard just got in his way, did a 2-handed touch thing on him and let him go where he wanted. Berrios is on Wilson and blocks him and continues engaging Wilson as Wilson slips away catching Wilson's trailing hand but doesn't pull on it and Wilson is allowed to go where he wanted to go in changing directions. Again, consult the rule: you have to "materially restrict or alter the defender’s path or angle of pursuit." If Wilson got to go where he wanted to go and wasn't materially restricted from doing so (material meaning that some is okay) then that is not a hold.

I must have been laughing so hard at the Lawrence one to not even see Wilson/Berrios but that is clearly not a hold either.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Those are the questions, that's how most express themselves whether right or wrong.

You can't blame them, blame the process
Again, if you can't understand the fundamental difference between the unsubstantiated strident claims being made and an actual question, then I can't help you.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Bear hug? Lol. The pulling Guard basically came over and patted Lawrence on the shoulder because Lawrence took himself out of the play so he barely even engaged him. The video must have missed those tidbits because it said nothing of the sort and I didn't see anything of that sort.
He hooked him, but he didn't grab him. There was no pull, so it's unlikely that it would have been called holding. Of course, it has been called before.

I mean, if this is called holding, then pretty much anything can be called holding:

gimmesix

Reaction score
I just found the link in my history. There's no "bear hug" on Lawrence at all. Like literally at all. Lawrence did all the damage to himself by getting fooled. The Guard just got in his way, did a 2-handed touch thing on him and let him go where he wanted. Berrios is on Wilson and blocks him and continues engaging Wilson as Wilson slips away catching Wilson's trailing hand but doesn't pull on it and Wilson is allowed to go where he wanted to go in changing directions. Again, consult the rule: you have to "materially restrict or alter the defender’s path or angle of pursuit." If Wilson got to go where he wanted to go and wasn't materially restricted from doing so (material meaning that some is okay) then that is not a hold.

I must have been laughing so hard at the Lawrence one to not even see Wilson/Berrios but that is clearly not a hold either.
I think your definition of materially restrict is only yours. If a player is trying to make a play at or near the line of scrimmage, but instead has to fight through a hold and make the play several yards downfield, then he's materially restricted. You can't say it didn't alter the defender's path if he had to move back away from the hold in order to escape it and make the play. Berrios grabbed Wilson's outside shoulder on the side and restricted him where the running back ran. It should have been called a hold. I do agree that it was not called because Wilson fought through to get in on the play. That doesn't mean that without the hold he wouldn't have made the play much quicker. We can't assume that.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
He hooked him, but he didn't grab him. There was no pull, so it's unlikely that it would have been called holding. Of course, it has been called before.

I mean, if this is called holding, then pretty much anything can be called holding:

He did not hook him. Look at the Guard's arm action. He merely pushed. And not a forceful push at that. Lawrence looping around was solely on him getting fooled and then trying to get back into the play, not as a result of the Guard's action. The Guard really only needed to just get in the way and it was done.

As for Lamb, I'm guessing the ref got fooled by the defender's acting but it was a little hold made to look more damning by the acting. Lamb can't extend like that and draw attention. Real speed, it looks like one.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Look,

it's one thing for them to pass up on some of the holding calls on Parsons that are in their opinion and subjective, which I think is nonsense, but if they want to let those go that's fine with me with the ones where he's being held by two guys where he's being arm barred by two guys, he's literally being held so bad and so out in the open similarly to CD lamb last week having his pants basically pulled off....

I mean you cannot miss those, you cannot hold the flag on those...

It literally makes people question whether they are trying to affect the outcomes of games whether it be true or not it looks like it.

the people claiming a conspiracy that the NFL is rigged , we all know it's not scripted that'd be ridiculously hard to do the wag the dog nonsense because it would have come out by now. However, the referee's have been getting worse every year and seemingly they're so bad that people are starting to think they're colluding with Vegas and that the league is allowing the referees to help nudge a game one way or the other, however they see fit by calling everything subjective...

I've never heard that before, I mean they're telling Parsons we're not calling them because we don't believe you could have got the sack!! that's ridiculous!

I mean how could they say that with a straight face??? I mean you know how many times I've seen a flag drop on a hold on the other side of the field by either a tight end or receiver when the play went the complete other direction they were not in the play at all they're basically decoys and they call they call it they drop a flag well if that's the case where there are flags that did not affect a play like say Parsons couldn't get a sack well those holes didn't matter I mean we've seen holes on the backside of a play on special teams where the player with the ball was long gone 1015 yards up the field and they call a hold behind the play or on the complete other side of the play I mean they're inconsistent that's the problem if they don't wanna call please they don't affect the game because it didn't seem part of the play and even if they didn't commit the foul or not it would not change the oputcome of the pay.

therefore, they didn't want to drop it... So explain to me why do they still call the offensive linemen for being up field on a lot of these RPO's and whatnot , I mean they didn't they weren't downfield blocking they barely were one yard over the allowable limit and it didn't affect the play. we've seen this before where it called back a touchdown or something you remember that flag couple games ago where we're trying to figure out how they called that one in the end zone when we were already on the 1 yard line or something... I mean how do you call that ??it it makes it look like you're affecting the game on purpose!!.

And yes I'm sure it is happening to other great players however it should not be happening to any of them you can let go of the ticky tack ones that's fine with me but the ones that are so blatantly obvious that it makes people jump out of their chairs and scream at their TV's and they start throwing **** and go on a tirade those ones the referees can't miss like the one that was picked up against gallop in the Arizona game is still a head scratcher to me it clearly was pass interference and it was clearly at the time of a game that it was very critical and they wave it off???
The thing is they can miss them just like we can in real time . And if we aren’t provided instant replays with different angles which often need to be shown in slow mo several times to be certain we’d miss many of them too.

The bigger issue is does the NFL feel like these missed calls need to be corrected like receptions and TD’s which could mean stoppage basically after every play and or penalty to review.

And if it’s their judgement the action isn’t warranted and no flag then we basically will have to review after each play regardless a flag.

Do we really need perfection in a game played by humans . Officiating has always been a part of the game . Take the good with the bad.

If I was NFL I’d begin by tweaking these additional rules protecting the QB and receivers . Allow more contact . Stop the ticky tacky calls. It’s football. We expect contact.

That would minimize all of the additional subjective calls being made. The league created this issue with additional rules .

Then add officials in the booth who can take a quick look and move on within seconds . Allow coaches to throw red flag on 2 penalties a game to review in addition to the ones already being allowed.

But the review process must be streamlined too. Some of these take too long. Let someone in booth do it. And the limited time will limit how many times we can see it too. Geeze. It’s all gotten out of hand . Let them play . And If you think it’s rigged don’t watch or wager on it.

gimmesix

Reaction score
He did not hook him. Look at the Guard's arm action. He merely pushed. And not a forceful push at that. Lawrence looping around was solely on him getting fooled and then trying to get back into the play, not as a result of the Guard's action. The Guard really only needed to just get in the way and it was done.

As for Lamb, I'm guessing the ref got fooled by the defender's acting but it was a little hold made to look more damning by the acting. Lamb can't extend like that and draw attention. Real speed, it looks like one.
Not what I saw. He hooked the arm around his shoulder and pushed him with the other hand.

Getting fooled is no excuse for a bad call. It wasn't a close game because we were playing Washington, but in these tough games like against the Dolphins, you need for the refs to be sure. I'd rather they not call anything against either team than make a few wrong calls that affect the outcome of the game. I mean, fine if you are going to miss the three holds that should have been called (again, I believe it's four), then don't call the roughing the passer on Parsons, don't call an illegal shift penalty when you tell the receiver to step back to avoid being offsides, etc.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I think your definition of materially restrict is only yours. If a player is trying to make a play at or near the line of scrimmage, but instead has to fight through a hold and make the play several yards downfield, then he's materially restricted. You can't say it didn't alter the defender's path if he had to move back away from the hold in order to escape it and make the play. Berrios grabbed Wilson's outside shoulder on the side and restricted him where the running back ran. It should have been called a hold. I do agree that it was not called because Wilson fought through to get in on the play. That doesn't mean that without the hold he wouldn't have made the play much quicker. We can't assume that.
That's where you're wrong. Wilson moved back away from a "block" to make a play, not a hold. You can't make a play while engaged and they collided before any alleged hold took place. You're saying a hold took place as he disengaged from a block and Berrios held his hand. There was literally no grabbing or even touching of Wilson's shoulder by Berrios. None. I'm watching the replay as I type this too. When Wilson saw Berrios coming, he braces for the impact and actually puts up his two fists together at his chest so Berrios can't wrap up or grab him and as he disengages to go after the runner, all that's left to wrap up on is one of Wilson's hands he used to make fists with. But Wilson is able to move to go after the runner. Again, the rule is about "the defender’s path or angle of pursuit." Neither of those was altered by Berrios' action. I can't believe I'm asking for this but if Berrios grabbed Wilson's shoulder, provide a still shot from the video. He didn't even touch Wilson's shoulder other than Wilson running into him with his.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The thing is they can miss them just like we can in real time . And if we aren’t provided instant replays with different angles which often need to be shown in slow mo several times to be certain we’d miss many of them too.

The bigger issue is does the NFL feel like these missed calls need to be corrected like receptions and TD’s which could mean stoppage basically after every play and or penalty to review.

And if it’s their judgement the action isn’t warranted and no flag then we basically will have to review after each play regardless a flag.

Do we really need perfection in a game played by humans . Officiating has always been a part of the game . Take the good with the bad.

If I was NFL I’d begin by tweaking these additional rules protecting the QB and receivers . Allow more contact . Stop the ticky tacky calls. It’s football. We expect contact.

That would minimize all of the additional subjective calls being made. The league created this issue with additional rules .

Then add officials in the booth who can take a quick look and move on within seconds . Allow coaches to throw red flag on 2 penalties a game to review in addition to the ones already being allowed.

But the review process must be streamlined too. Some of these take too long. Let someone in booth do it. And the limited time will limit how many times we can see it too. Geeze. It’s all gotten out of hand . Let them play . And If you think it’s rigged don’t watch or wager on it.
Call me an ageist, but I'd also look at ways to bring down the average age of the refs because these dudes all look to be senior citizens.

gimmesix

Reaction score
That's where you're wrong. Wilson moved back away from a "block" to make a play, not a hold. You can't make a play while engaged and they collided before any alleged hold took place. You're saying a hold took place as he disengaged from a block and Berrios held his hand. There was literally no grabbing or even touching of Wilson's shoulder by Berrios. None. I'm watching the replay as I type this too. When Wilson saw Berrios coming, he braces for the impact and actually puts up his two fists together at his chest so Berrios can't wrap up or grab him and as he disengages to go after the runner, all that's left to wrap up on is one of Wilson's hands he used to make fists with. But Wilson is able to move to go after the runner. Again, the rule is about "the defender’s path or angle of pursuit." Neither of those was altered by Berrios' action. I can't believe I'm asking for this but if Berrios grabbed Wilson's shoulder, provide a still shot from the video. He didn't even touch Wilson's shoulder other than Wilson running into him with his.
Berrios held his inside shoulder. You can clearly see his hand wrapped around the shoulder, which stymies Wilson's ability to get to the ball carrier. You really need to look again because he was wearing a colored glove that can easily be seen. It wasn't a long hold and Wilson fought through it, but he was clearly impeded.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Not what I saw. He hooked the arm around his shoulder and pushed him with the other hand.

Getting fooled is no excuse for a bad call. It wasn't a close game because we were playing Washington, but in these tough games like against the Dolphins, you need for the refs to be sure. I'd rather they not call anything against either team than make a few wrong calls that affect the outcome of the game. I mean, fine if you are going to miss the three holds that should have been called (again, I believe it's four), then don't call the roughing the passer on Parsons, don't call an illegal shift penalty when you tell the receiver to step back to avoid being offsides, etc.
Again, you're not looking at the Guard's hand action. He raises that arm you speak of in a "push" fashion that you're saying somehow turned into a hook when a DL who got fooled has to loop around to the ball carrier. That IS Lawrence's fault. The OL isn't penalized for the DL's bad decision-making and thus positioning. Positioning is part of the reason the rip technique holding exception exists in the rules I gather. But to continue with this hooking theory, if the Guard successfully hooks Lawrence, how is Lawrence able to still get that hooked arm on the ball carrier and partially trip him? Not a very effective hook I'd say. That's because the before and after show it wasn't. A hook turns a defender from where he wants to go because that's the wording of the rule that overarches everything. Lawrence was wanting to, and got to the ball carrier to actually trip him up, even after being wrong-footed. So again, we go to the rules: was Lawrence "materially restricted" or had his "path or angle of pursuit" altered or did he get to where he wanted to go when changing directions, all the way to contacting the ball carrier in this case? You cannot get around that rule.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Call me an ageist, but I'd also look at ways to bring down the average age of the refs because these dudes all look to be senior citizens.
Great point. They are reviewed every week though . And most of older officials are head referee who aren’t making all the calls just announcing them.

It’s a part time job. Most of them still work their M-F job.

Salaries have gone up in recent years . This report says average salary is $205,000 in 2023 which is up from $150,000 from a few years earlier but it varies on time served . And by position .

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/how-much-do-nfl-referees-make/

Last edited:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Berrios held his inside shoulder. You can clearly see his hand wrapped around the shoulder, which stymies Wilson's ability to get to the ball carrier. You really need to look again because he was wearing a colored glove that can easily be seen. It wasn't a long hold and Wilson fought through it, but he was clearly impeded.
No, I'd like the still shot. I've watched the video repeatedly, including just now. What you say is there, is not even close to being there. And Berrios was wearing an off-white glove so it contrasts to the Cowboys white uniforms so there's nothing to confuse.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Well if they would call holding on Parsons our opponents would have 5 more penalties per game at the very minimum.

And like someone else said, the timing is suspect. If the NFL doesn't get the penalties under control than many of us are going to stop watching. We watch the game, not the referees constantly interrupting. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Maybe if they were scared, they'd start doing an honest job. Has it come to that?

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
That 3 yard per game differential is the difference between 11-4 and 15-0.

Not to mention....but THE REFS .issued 2,496 HOLDS on Micah, which equals about 25,000 yards.... (which is the circumference off Micah's head)