Some FAs Dan Quinn may be interested in bringing to Dallas

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
New Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn has a reputation as a guy players like playing for. He’s energetic and approachable and based on some recent history, enjoys a level of loyalty from former players.

Question: Will Dan Quinn be interested in recruiting some defensive free agents to Dallas that are both impactful and at a price Stephen Jones won’t balk at? Here are some possibilities based on Quinn’s time both in Atlanta and Seattle:
  • Safety Damontae Kazee- 27 year old S who had 8 Int’s in 2018 for Atlanta. He was a 5th round pick in 2017 and started most of his time in Atl. Unfortunately, he had an Achilles injury that ended his season in Oct of last year. If healthy, Kazee is an upgrade for sure from Xavier Woods.
  • CB Richard Sherman- 33 year old former All Pro who starred for Quinn in the “Legion of Boom” days in Sea. I’m not normally a big fan of signing FAs who are on the tail end of their careers, but Sherman is a guy who can be a locker room leader and have a positive impact on the culture. He’s not as good as he once was but he’s still better than most of what we have. He’s probably a future HOFer. If his price is right, I would be interested.

• Safety Keanu Neal- 25 year old former 1st round pick in Atl. The Falcons exercised their 5th year option on him last year. He is an outstanding tackler but not as much of a ball hawk. Avg speed but hits like a freight train. Had a torn ACL in 2019 but did return in 2020. Probably a more refined Donovan Lewis type, so we may not be interested for that reason.

• DE Charles Harris- 26 year old former 1st round pick of the dolphins, Harris was traded to the Falcons in 2020 as an edge rusher. Had 3 sacks last year in 13 games, but has certainly underachieved for a 1st rounder. He does have talent though. Not that intriguing to me though.

• CB Shaquill Griffin- 25, has played hist first 4 yrs in Sea. Never played for Quinn in Sea but comes from a familiar system. Griffin was a 3rd round pick in 2017. He made the ProBowl in 2019 and has 6 INTs in 4 years. I would be very interested in this guy in free agency.
Who knows if any of these guys will end up here but it is certainly a possibility the way free agency usually goes. Many FAs like to play for coaches they know and in systems they have had success with. We might see a couple of them land here.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Don’t mention any of these guys. A majority of people have declared they all suck and don’t need to be signed
I won't say they suck but I will say that I'd prefer our DC start off fresh with new players. I never been a fan of the ol' bring in players the coordinator previously had...especially when he got fired from that spot.

Carson

Reaction score
I won't say they suck but I will say that I'd prefer our DC start off fresh with new players. I never been a fan of the ol' bring in players the coordinator previously had...especially when he got fired from that spot.

Oh I don’t disagree. I just think sometimes it’s nice to fill important positions with guys you know can do the job. Kazee got 7 picks a few seasons back under Quinn. Sometimes you need these guys to teach and help the curve

blueblood70

Reaction score
New Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn has a reputation as a guy players like playing for. He’s energetic and approachable and based on some recent history, enjoys a level of loyalty from former players.

Question: Will Dan Quinn be interested in recruiting some defensive free agents to Dallas that are both impactful and at a price Stephen Jones won’t balk at? Here are some possibilities based on Quinn’s time both in Atlanta and Seattle:
  • Safety Damontae Kazee- 27 year old S who had 8 Int’s in 2018 for Atlanta. He was a 5th round pick in 2017 and started most of his time in Atl. Unfortunately, he had an Achilles injury that ended his season in Oct of last year. If healthy, Kazee is an upgrade for sure from Xavier Woods.
  • CB Richard Sherman- 33 year old former All Pro who starred for Quinn in the “Legion of Boom” days in Sea. I’m not normally a big fan of signing FAs who are on the tail end of their careers, but Sherman is a guy who can be a locker room leader and have a positive impact on the culture. He’s not as good as he once was but he’s still better than most of what we have. He’s probably a future HOFer. If his price is right, I would be interested.

• Safety Keanu Neal- 25 year old former 1st round pick in Atl. The Falcons exercised their 5th year option on him last year. He is an outstanding tackler but not as much of a ball hawk. Avg speed but hits like a freight train. Had a torn ACL in 2019 but did return in 2020. Probably a more refined Donovan Lewis type, so we may not be interested for that reason.

• DE Charles Harris- 26 year old former 1st round pick of the dolphins, Harris was traded to the Falcons in 2020 as an edge rusher. Had 3 sacks last year in 13 games, but has certainly underachieved for a 1st rounder. He does have talent though. Not that intriguing to me though.

• CB Shaquill Griffin- 25, has played hist first 4 yrs in Sea. Never played for Quinn in Sea but comes from a familiar system. Griffin was a 3rd round pick in 2017. He made the ProBowl in 2019 and has 6 INTs in 4 years. I would be very interested in this guy in free agency.
Who knows if any of these guys will end up here but it is certainly a possibility the way free agency usually goes. Many FAs like to play for coaches they know and in systems they have had success with. We might see a couple of them land here.
not to downgrade your post, i realize your put time intpo it..

but these MAY or possible etc etc threads
how about this ask DQ and let him reply..i want it from the horses mouth not the internet Gms or media types guessing..

dudes with injuries' and aged out seem to be what this fan base hates about or Fas and draft picks so doesnt seem like likable list..

phildadon86

Reaction score
Quinn didnt get fired in Seattle?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Oh I don’t disagree. I just think sometimes it’s nice to fill important positions with guys you know can do the job. Kazee got 7 picks a few seasons back under Quinn. Sometimes you need these guys to teach and help the curve
agree 100% because its why Nolan failed, he had no guys that can run his system and that FA batch failed because of it..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not even qualified to speak on them the fact he had 7 picks is news to me lol.

Its like the "He can't be much worse than what we have" approach I take....but then I get reminded about Haha Dix how he somehow couldn't even be a backup here lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
agree 100% because its why Nolan failed, he had no guys that can run his system and that FA batch failed because of it..
He failed for other reasons.....he would've failed even if he had old guys in there.....Tomsula had Aldon Smith. Just wasn't a fit.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Don’t mention any of these guys. A majority of people have declared they all suck and don’t need to be signed
no one says that really, perhaps a bit of exageration....but its an evaluation process. there is aboslutley no denying our defensive evaluation process sucks. we sign Poe, Mccoy, Worley and Griffin and get nothing. other teams sign players for similar amount of money and get so much more...why is that?

now, players with injury history, specially Achilles heel worry me.....

blueblood70

Reaction score
He failed for other reasons.....he would've failed even if he had old guys in there.....Tomsula had Aldon Smith. Just wasn't a fit.
do NOT agree dude had no players to meet his schemes than injuries' and failed FAS..they did improve by years end and Nolan was scapegoat, he never had chance..get passed it see reality if he had an off-season and better players he would be fine in 2021..

if you choose to be a sheep and stick to narratives so be it......

I saw the real issues and it was far from just coaching schemes..

Carson

Reaction score
no one says that really, perhaps a bit of exageration....but its an evaluation process. there is aboslutley no denying our defensive evaluation process sucks. we sign Poe, Mccoy, Worley and Griffin and get nothing. other teams sign players for similar amount of money and get so much more...why is that?

now, players with injury history, specially Achilles heel worry me.....

Was just messing around on this beautiful Monday morning friend :)

Yeah I'm not even qualified to speak on them the fact he had 7 picks is news to me lol.

Its like the "He can't be much worse than what we have" approach I take....but then I get reminded about Haha Dix how he somehow couldn't even be a backup here lol.

Kazee is a damn good ballhawk. Not so much in run support ... he’s the guy Zeke trucked in the end zone in Week 2.

He is coming off an injury so he may not be 100% for camp. He just fits the Bill of cheaper, has history under Quinn and fits a massive need

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
do NOT agree dude had no players to meet his schemes than injuries' and failed FAS..they did improve by years end and Nolan was scapegoat, he never had chance..get passed it see reality if he had an off-season and better players he would be fine in 2021..

if you choose to be a sheep and stick to narratives so be it......

I saw the real issues and it was far from just coaching schemes..

Whoa....hold your horses big fella. Maybe you misunderstood my post? I never said he failed because of his scheme. I said he failed because he wasn't a fit. You're saying he failed because he didn't have ex-players here. I'm saying he would've failed even with ex-players here. There was absolutely no way this was going to work with no offseason, no personnel fits and possibly even lack of talent. If that makes me a "sheep" then go for it. I could careless. You know it is possible to disagree without resorting to such tactics as name calling. That's a cheap and lazy approach.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Was just messing around on this beautiful Monday morning friend :)

Kazee is a damn good ballhawk. Not so much in run support ... he’s the guy Zeke trucked in the end zone in Week 2.

He is coming off an injury so he may not be 100% for camp. He just fits the Bill of cheaper, has history under Quinn and fits a massive need
Yeah man I understand its not going to be a situation where we can get the best free agent out there...we are going to be bargain shopping as usual. So yeah realistically I have no issue with guys like him. Its the Richard Sherman's that I have a issue with .