CFZ Some fundamental sports truths I wish JJ would grasp

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
25+ years obviously would support that it is true . The brand continues to break revenue records without more success on the field .

And why he continues being the face of the franchise because it is working regardless the success on the field . Remaining interesting and relative is all that is apparently required .
The team is no longer the cash cow as much as the conduit to celebrity for him.

That, is why he will not consider selling his connection to being important and relevant for an ugly old man.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
amateurs???:lmao2:,

so they bought the team in 1989 and ran it since then, had many FOOTBALL guys in the mix...

titles mean nothing but hey i guess you know more than they do given 32 years as owning and running a professional sports team..they also played college ball, watch a lot of football with their children and grandchildren who are playing. So just amateurs since 1989 and learned nothing at all?

BTW WM is the GM regardless of tiles they have a staff of at least 100 under then coaches and FO types,

you say Mcclay isn't a Football guy, none of the others staffers are football people, all the coaches know nothing about pro ball??

many aspects of the GM responsibilities are split up amongst these employees..the Jonses do not do it all..they have cap people, personal people ,analytics department, lawyers, CPAS, huge scouting department( i guess those scouts were home depot employees hired to do pro scouting with no experience?) and many others who make up that role.

yet somehow hiring a GM that been a GM is the answer even though WM is that guy already and other teams int he same time period have let go and rehired new GMs at least a dozen times including coaches and overhauling teams and i don't see that as an key to winning or they would do it..

show me a brand new GM hires his own coach and owner gave him full power and they win the SB that season maybe 2 years 3 years i mean show me the blueprint for sucess by simply hiring and firing GMs even though all owners and FO people above them still have final say??

the Jonses like being the title holders for the public to see , its their team, i have zero issues with that but they are not sitting up on some giant pulpit making decisions without serious input and consideration from a gigantic football staff.

calling them amateurs is a joke in itself. They have 32 years of Pro experience had many football minds under their employment.. 1000s of hours of meetings with football people.
Will McClay is a great football guy for sure. But he is not the GM. Either in title or function. Jerry Jones has made it crystal clear even recently. He makes all the big decisions. I’m sure McClay has big input. But that doesn’t make him the GM.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Booger hangs his hat on the ratings and takes credit for the popularity of the team when the label “America’s Team” was coined before he ever had the chance to buy the team.

Success is measured by ratings, relevancy and revenue and he has little respect for the fans.
The thing that amazes me about how loyal Cowboys fans are- our love for this team is greater than JJs disrespect for us as fans. He could hold ticket prices at the same level for 5 years and still make billions. He even raised ticket prices again this year. His disdain for Cowboys fans is incredible.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Will McClay is a great football guy for sure. But he is not the GM. Either in title or function. Jerry Jones has made it crystal clear even recently. He makes all the big decisions. I’m sure McClay has big input. But that doesn’t make him the GM.
Yep

It’s just more apologetic and defensive behavior from segment of our fanbase who continue enabling our dysfunctional ownership.

They somehow see it as defending our brand even though it’s our greatest core cause and one constant for less success this era.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
We all know the Cowboys are still a very popular team in TV ratings and in monetary value. JJ often crows about the monetary value of the Cowboys more often than he talks about wins. And why not? What else can he brag about? It’s certainly not been about playoff wins around here for a very long time.

Part of the current problem with JJ being the centerpiece of the entire organization is he fails to understand several fundamental “sports truths”- things that are accurate about sports and winning championships. Here is a list of sports truths I wish Jerry Jones would grasp:
  • Winning championships is the greatest sales pitch in sports. Jerry is a great salesman. He wouldn’t have to sell anything if they started winning playoff games.
  • The Cowboys aren’t popular because of business decisions- they are popular because they used to win a lot of playoff games. The Cowboys were extremely popular before JJ bought the team. Why? Because our Cowboys played in 8 of the first 30 SBs. (Now, we’ve missed 26 in a row) The Cowboys won 31 playoff games in its first 36 years. We’ve won 4 in the last 26.
  • Fans really don’t care how much their favorite team is worth. Especially when they don’t win anything of importance anymore.
  • Not all publicity is good publicity. Negative stories (like player arrests or other off field distractions) are never good for the team’s ability to focus on winning.
  • Nepotism is bad for large organizations where accountability is needed. Most NFL owners recognize that hiring their kids for football operation decisions is detrimental to team success. There is a lot of research available now that shows that nepotism is disruptive to organizational health.
  • Being an NFL owner is one of the easiest, risk-free ways to make big money. Even the Jaguars owner made big bucks last year because of revenue sharing and big TV deals. NFL teams’ value has gone up exponentially in the last decade. An NFL owner could go 0-17 this year and still make tons of money.
I’m glad the Cowboys are popular. But I know it’s based almost entirely on its glorious past. I just wish our owner would wake up and realize some of these sports truths. Fans don’t care about how much money this team is worth. It’s about winning championships.

Well said, per usual, Bob! Your first point is the one I always go back to. Jerry got plenty of love for making the late 80s disappear and bringing “SB or bust” back after a short hiatus. He lost this mentality and started making it about “I’ll show them who knows football.” That ship sailed with Garrett.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
And here come a big part of our dysfunctional ownership body of support which continues enabling him. I’m not sure anymore how we reach them ? And why I’ve given up hope for change.
But you're still supporting him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The thing that amazes me about how loyal Cowboys fans are- our love for this team is greater than JJs disrespect for us as fans. He could hold ticket prices at the same level for 5 years and still make billions. He even raised ticket prices again this year. His disdain for Cowboys fans is incredible.
Sheep to be sheared. Randy Galloway referred to fans as the Cow sheep for a good reason.

I think Cowboys fans are the least demanding fans in the NFL and Booger is correct in his assessment that the NFL is all about entertainment.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But you're still supporting him.
I’m not sure how you see my constant attacking him as support?

This site doesn’t have any direct pipeline to his revenue. And I no longer directly contribute financially. I do still watch the games but I watch all of the NFL games which he shares in equally.

Regardless , that’s not the support I’m speaking of. We actually have fans who support how he is running Cowboys Football. And think they need to defend him like it’s defending our brand .

rambo2

Reaction score
We all know the Cowboys are still a very popular team in TV ratings and in monetary value. JJ often crows about the monetary value of the Cowboys more often than he talks about wins. And why not? What else can he brag about? It’s certainly not been about playoff wins around here for a very long time.

Part of the current problem with JJ being the centerpiece of the entire organization is he fails to understand several fundamental “sports truths”- things that are accurate about sports and winning championships. Here is a list of sports truths I wish Jerry Jones would grasp:
  • Winning championships is the greatest sales pitch in sports. Jerry is a great salesman. He wouldn’t have to sell anything if they started winning playoff games.
  • The Cowboys aren’t popular because of business decisions- they are popular because they used to win a lot of playoff games. The Cowboys were extremely popular before JJ bought the team. Why? Because our Cowboys played in 8 of the first 30 SBs. (Now, we’ve missed 26 in a row) The Cowboys won 31 playoff games in its first 36 years. We’ve won 4 in the last 26.
  • Fans really don’t care how much their favorite team is worth. Especially when they don’t win anything of importance anymore.
  • Not all publicity is good publicity. Negative stories (like player arrests or other off field distractions) are never good for the team’s ability to focus on winning.
  • Nepotism is bad for large organizations where accountability is needed. Most NFL owners recognize that hiring their kids for football operation decisions is detrimental to team success. There is a lot of research available now that shows that nepotism is disruptive to organizational health.
  • Being an NFL owner is one of the easiest, risk-free ways to make big money. Even the Jaguars owner made big bucks last year because of revenue sharing and big TV deals. NFL teams’ value has gone up exponentially in the last decade. An NFL owner could go 0-17 this year and still make tons of money.
I’m glad the Cowboys are popular. But I know it’s based almost entirely on its glorious past. I just wish our owner would wake up and realize some of these sports truths. Fans don’t care about how much money this team is worth. It’s about winning championships.
12 and 5 was a good start. Let's see what they do this year.

blueblood70

Reaction score
he publicly says that and while it was true the first 5-10 years post Jimmy, its no longer is the case and i can see it in many moves and non-moves i know the Jonses would have done and did not.

im sorry WM is the key GM regardless of his title..that what im saying, Crystal clear means jerry wants us all to believe it, that doesn't make it true..i said he luvs owing the title, the function and duties are shared amongst many.

you can keep hounding the owners with 32 years of professional experience and tell them what to do but that doesn't make you rights. Its an ego deal, you can write all you want , question all you want, they Jonses still have 1000s of hours more in running a pro sports teams the you and you have zero idea what goes on behind closed doors at the ranch.

You know what they "ALLOW" you to know..

SMH some truly egomaniacal fans thinking what they hear and read is all the facts and then parroting it as if you all know how to fix what's broken from a keyboard. lol Im glad that gives you purpose here in the internet world with keyboard powers on a sports forum..

I liken it to the POTUS position if you think the Potus has full powers and makes all the decisions and everything said to the public is the actual facts'. You haven't been paying attention. The jonses do run the team similarly in that they appear from all public views to be the sole owners, GM, presidents and player personal departimnts..

they are not, they have staff and specific roles for large staff that aide in influencing the final decisions..

oh and in response to limiting distracitons

as if they know players are going get in trouble to somehow get ahead if it when we have seen charts other teams many have hard more arrests and players with trouble.. they are dipping from the same pool of humans that we see in real life..you cant control everything..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
12 and 5 was a good start. Let's see what they do this year.
A good start to what. We’ve had a couple 13-3’s , a 12-4, 11-5 and what did they start ?

This is just more apologetic material to support our dysfunctional ownership.

Do you actually believe Jethro and Son are what’s best for Cowboys Football?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We actually still have fans that support this toxic atmosphere our dysfunctional ownership has created.
Unbelievable .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No, what you are doing is complaining anonymously on a message board.
I can promise you this isn’t the only place I have complained .

But go ahead , keep defending that our ownership is what’s best for Cowboys Football.

ESisback

Reaction score

Another well done post, Hazey! That said, I’d add that the Cowboys are also popular because people see them more, they have the cool uniforms, the awesome stadium, the nickname, the all time leading rusher, etc. I agree that fans don’t care how much the team is worth, but it’s a nice factoid to aggravate the ABD’s when they start with the annual grousing about our nickname!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Our nickname is embarrassing. It was bragging rights for a very successful franchise at one time .

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Newsflash: Jerry's not going anywhere. (No, I don't project folks death nor do I wish for their death. So, my statement is made on the reality that he is the owner, and that's not going to change until the natural progression of life and mortality takes place, and I'm not making any predictions.)

So I'm buckled up for a rocky ride because, as Jerry said, he's not selling the team. No way, no how, no shape, no form, no fashion. :(

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s not the support I’m speaking of . Now you’re just trolling me .

I’m taking about supporting his ways . We have fans who actually defend the product he’s been fielding this era and some even believe he’s what’s best for Cowboys Football.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Newsflash: Jerry's not going anywhere. (No, I don't project folks death nor do I wish for their death. So, my statement is made on the reality that he is the owner, and that's not going to change until the natural progression of life and mortality takes place, and I'm not making any predictions.)

So I'm buckled up for a rocky ride because, as Jerry said, he's not selling the team. No way, no how, no shape, no form, no fashion. :(
I think we all accept the reality as such . But that doesn’t mean we can’t continue calling out how he runs Cowboys Football and what it’s meant to our lack of success this era. And we still can cheer the team on.

Last edited: