CFZ Some fundamental sports truths I wish JJ would grasp

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep

All we can do is keep the pressure on publicly. He at least has to provide some responses regardless if it makes any difference or not . Just because we must accept the abuse doesn’t mean we have to like it or can’t complain about it.
Who is "we?" The only individuals with customary access to Jones are members of the media, who usually treat him with kid gloves.

The only other realistic situation, where fans could pressure Jones publicly, would be during games he attends. And I do mean actual human beings because empty seats have not motivated Jones to alter his managerial methods for running a football team on the rare occasions they are noticeable for network cameras.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Who is "we?" The only individuals with customary access to Jones are members of the media, who usually treat him with kid gloves.

The only other realistic situation, where fans could pressure Jones publicly, would be during games he attends. And I do mean actual human beings because empty seats have not motivated Jones to alter his managerial methods for running a football team on the rare occasions they are noticeable for network cameras.
When I say “ we” I’m generally referring to fans in general. And we have several local sports journalist who have called out our dysfunctional ownership and continue to do so regardless if they are at the press conferences. Jethro is aware of them and he addresses them in different ways .

Are you suggesting we should just continue suking it up and not speaking out or expressing our concerns in whatever means we have regardless it falls on deaf ears or the response isn’t acceptable.

As long as there is fans out there defending or supporting our owners ways of running Cowboys Football there are seeds to plant.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
25+ years obviously would support that it is true . The brand continues to break revenue records without more success on the field .

And why he continues being the face of the franchise because it is working regardless the success on the field . Remaining interesting and relative is all that is apparently required .
Gottcha, I don't think losing is going to be a long term successful business model.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Despite the occasional lip service, what fans want is at the bottom of Jerry's list (if it is even on the list at all). It's about him, his family, and his guys.

It will be run his way until he dies, whether they win anything or not. He can do that because, as you noted, the money is going to roll in, regardless.
And I wish more people would recognize:
  • Being an NFL owner contains zero financial risk. ZERO.
  • Jerry is a business genius. But his genius was in the way the league is now structured financially as a zero risk business venture. Any NFL team is rolling dough regardless of record. What he does now is not “genius”.
  • The way fans are treated now by this organization is insulting IMO.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
But he’s not losing. He’s remaining relevant and interesting which is enough to sell, promote, hype and string along the casual and fringe fans.
For now, and as I mentioned he has us oldtime diehards who are not going anywhere.
In 20 years once we are all gone and if he keeps crapping out in the playoffs , I think you are going to see a decline in interest and revenues.
Jerry has been extremely blessed in getting Romo and Dak for next to nothing.
Once he has no Franchise qbs and the NFC gets competitive again those 3 straight 5 and 11 records like we had with Campo are not going to fly.
By then though Jerry most like will have passed or retired.
So it will be on Stephen to make wholesale changes.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I saw a thread here where those clowns from 105.3 said they've never seen the fanbase so upset, are they that dense to think those people calling/texting their show represents the real Cowboys fan base?

The Cowboys fan base is comprised of corporate ticket sales and people who view the Cowboys as entertainment. I had tickets in the 80's and we were surrounded by people who were there to be there. They were not demanding of contention. It was a "good game" regardless of the score or how they played.

This team has done just enough to keep the majority of ticket buyers active and you would be surprised by the number of fans that consider a 12-6 season with a first round playoff exit a successful season.

I would say the majority of us here are pretty Booger critical but there are many more than us that seek his autograph and support his celebrity status. The fan unrest is greatly exaggerated by the sports media because they need fuel on the fire and they blow it totally out of proportion to get eyes watching.

We are not representative of the Cowboys fan base on this board and neither were those on DC.com. If we assembled all the season tickets holders and corporate ticket buyers and presented ourselves to them with the amount of time we spend on here and what we do, what do you think would be their response? You do WHAT? For HOW long?

My friends, we can't see the trees because we are so deep in the forest. We are not normal, don't get me wrong, love the Zoners but we are not in the real world where this just isn't that big of a deal to most people.

Booger has gone up on ticket prices again, why? Because he knows he can and the majority will not balk and the ones that do, others will buy those tickets.

ESisback

Reaction score
Our nickname is embarrassing. It was bragging rights for a very successful franchise at one time .

As I’ve said, many times, I don’t care for it either, but it’s useful for annoying dbags dissing my team!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I say “ we” I’m generally referring to fans in general. And we have several local sports journalist who have called out our dysfunctional ownership and continue to do so regardless if they are at the press conferences. Jethro is aware of them and he addresses them in different ways .
Personalities like Jones must be confronted in-person and on a continual basis to have any realistic chance of altering his personal mental perspective and methodology. Media "calling out" Jones from anywhere outside his immediate field of communication is as beneficial as stopping a bear from defecating in the woods.
Are you suggesting we should just continue suking it up and not speaking out or expressing our concerns in whatever means we have regardless it falls on deaf ears or the response isn’t acceptable.
Who suggested anyone shut up? That was not me. I said, quote, "The only other realistic situation, where fans could pressure Jones publicly, would be during games he attends."

This particular internet forum has been around for decades. On this site alone, there have been both objective and ludicrous commentary posted that would fill VOLUMES of thick hardcover encyclopedias. That is fact. Now, take into account all the other current and now defunct discussion venues that are or were talking about Jones both on and outside the internet. We are talking, literally and unquestionably, a large-scale, brick-and-mortar library filled with material concerning how this man runs the franchise. And nothing is stopping the flow of discussion. Zlitch. Nada. Period.

So please tell me. What real or imagined way has any of this almost bottomless pit of criticism that Jones has not read or heard done to influence him in actual provable actions many of us hope for? Not made up proof. Documented. I ask because I can turn on NFL Network or go to DallasCowboys.com or whatever and you know what changes I have personally seen? Jack <expletive>.

So. I am not saying to you or anyone else shut up. That would be silly. What I am saying is that a realistic expectation of enticing a change inside Jones' skull will be for people, collectively sick-and-tired of his intractable nonsense, showing up en masse at his stadium, at The Star, at the pier where his superyacht is docked, a-n-y-w-h-e-r-e he is physically present and demonstrate their discontent in his face. THAT is the only conceivable way anyone will create an opportunity to penetrate his narcissism.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
We all know the Cowboys are still a very popular team in TV ratings and in monetary value. JJ often crows about the monetary value of the Cowboys more often than he talks about wins. And why not? What else can he brag about? It’s certainly not been about playoff wins around here for a very long time.

Part of the current problem with JJ being the centerpiece of the entire organization is he fails to understand several fundamental “sports truths”- things that are accurate about sports and winning championships. Here is a list of sports truths I wish Jerry Jones would grasp:
  • Winning championships is the greatest sales pitch in sports. Jerry is a great salesman. He wouldn’t have to sell anything if they started winning playoff games.
  • The Cowboys aren’t popular because of business decisions- they are popular because they used to win a lot of playoff games. The Cowboys were extremely popular before JJ bought the team. Why? Because our Cowboys played in 8 of the first 30 SBs. (Now, we’ve missed 26 in a row) The Cowboys won 31 playoff games in its first 36 years. We’ve won 4 in the last 26.
  • Fans really don’t care how much their favorite team is worth. Especially when they don’t win anything of importance anymore.
  • Not all publicity is good publicity. Negative stories (like player arrests or other off field distractions) are never good for the team’s ability to focus on winning.
  • Nepotism is bad for large organizations where accountability is needed. Most NFL owners recognize that hiring their kids for football operation decisions is detrimental to team success. There is a lot of research available now that shows that nepotism is disruptive to organizational health.
  • Being an NFL owner is one of the easiest, risk-free ways to make big money. Even the Jaguars owner made big bucks last year because of revenue sharing and big TV deals. NFL teams’ value has gone up exponentially in the last decade. An NFL owner could go 0-17 this year and still make tons of money.
I’m glad the Cowboys are popular. But I know it’s based almost entirely on its glorious past. I just wish our owner would wake up and realize some of these sports truths. Fans don’t care about how much money this team is worth. It’s about winning championships.
You sound like a Dallas Cowboys fan.

Well times have changed with social "me, myself, and I" media. Everyone is in the fake fantasy world. Look at how many post are about Jerry Dumbo GM Jones Yacht, stadium, bus, Legends stadium management, and the 5 billion dollars Jerry Jones has made the Cowboys the most valuable franchise in the world. Its about self gratification.

Arlington Jonesboys fans care about Jerry's next big announcement of wealth and worth versus the puppets he has had as HC since 1994, the lousy drafts, stupid trades, and not winning a Super Bowl since my son was 3 years old and that son is now a father with a 2 year old son, and I am a grandfather (the call me El Jefe not Grandpa). My other son has never seen the Cowboys in a NFC Championship game the 16 years of his life.

But we all know about the yacht, the bus, the stadium, the art collection, and the $5 billion dollars of which Arlington Jonesboys fans have nothing to show that produced any consecutive winning season, playoffs, and Super Bowls which originally and actually made the Dallas Cowboys America's team.

Arlington Jonesboys fans care. Dallas Cowboys fans don't care anymore.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Great thread

Ranching and Joeking will be here in a minute to tell you how Jerry knows more than you.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So, we still have fans who support Our ownership is what’s best for Cowboys Football?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Personalities like Jones must be confronted in-person and on a continual basis to have any realistic chance of altering his personal mental perspective and methodology. Media "calling out" Jones from anywhere outside his immediate field of communication is as beneficial as stopping a bear from defecating in the woods.
Who suggested anyone shut up? That was not me. I said, quote, "The only other realistic situation, where fans could pressure Jones publicly, would be during games he attends."

This particular internet forum has been around for decades. On this site alone, there have been both objective and ludicrous commentary posted that would fill VOLUMES of thick hardcover encyclopedias. That is fact. Now, take into account all the other current and now defunct discussion venues that are or were talking about Jones both on and outside the internet. We are talking, literally and unquestionably, a large-scale, brick-and-mortar library filled with material concerning how this man runs the franchise. And nothing is stopping the flow of discussion. Zlitch. Nada. Period.

So please tell me. What real or imagined way has any of this almost bottomless pit of criticism that Jones has not read or heard done to influence him in actual provable actions many of us hope for? Not made up proof. Documented. I ask because I can turn on NFL Network or go to DallasCowboys.com or whatever and you know what changes I have personally seen? Jack <expletive>.

So. I am not saying to you or anyone else shut up. That would be silly. What I am saying is that a realistic expectation of enticing a change inside Jones' skull will be for people, collectively sick-and-tired of his intractable nonsense, showing up en masse at his stadium, at The Star, at the pier where his superyacht is docked, a-n-y-w-h-e-r-e he is physically present and demonstrate their discontent in his face. THAT is the only conceivable way anyone will create an opportunity to penetrate his narcissism.
Who said it was making a difference. Sure feels better than not saying anything. To each their own I suppose.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who said it was making a difference. Sure feels better than not saying anything. To each their own I suppose.
This is the comment that initially drew a response from me:
All we can do is keep the pressure on publicly.
I was curious as to what exactly you meant. Your explanation answered how pressure was not actually pressure. So, my curiosity in discovering how "we" could keep applying "pressure" would "make a difference" has been sated.

Now, you are doubling down on implying I do not want fellow members to voice their discontent and feel better for doing so. Me. The same guy who has YEARS worth of hundreds of posts stating CowboysZone.com is a coping device for people to vent and release their inner frustrations.

I must admit. That's rich. :laugh: