Some Like It Hot

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok, let's heat it up. It's summer down here in Texas and so hot the other day I saw a dog chasing a cat and they were both laying down.

But there's a kind a heat I dig, hot sauces, salsas, peppers, etc.

So what's your favorite to heat things up? Store bought or homemade, what do you like and what do you like it on? If you've got some homemade hotness, share the recipe.

My store bought LA is Crystal, the original hot sauce for Buffalo Wings at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo.

But I've just discovered something new just recently that knocked my socks off, Weak Knees Gochujang Sriracha, best sriracha I've had but my favorite new thing, and this is dynamite on fried chicken, is Mike's Hot Honey. I keep finding ways to apply this sweet heat.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ok, let's heat it up. It's summer down here in Texas and so hot the other day I saw a dog chasing a cat and they were both laying down.

But there's a kind a heat I dig, hot sauces, salsas, peppers, etc.

So what's your favorite to heat things up? Store bought or homemade, what do you like and what do you like it on? If you've got some homemade hotness, share the recipe.

My store bought LA is Crystal, the original hot sauce for Buffalo Wings at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo.

But I've just discovered something new just recently that knocked my socks off, Weak Knees Gochujang Sriracha, best sriracha I've had but my favorite new thing, and this is dynamite on fried chicken, is Mike's Hot Honey. I keep finding ways to apply this sweet heat.
Hot honey? That sounds amazing!

I like original Tabasco sauce for most things, like breakfast burritos and such, but last year, when I went out to Ohio, I stopped in at a Mexican restaurant and they had this awesome habanero sauce, the name of which escapes me. I'll try to remember to check when I get home, but it's got great flavor, as well as a lot of heat. So much heat, that one little bittboI got them to sell me has lasted this long, and probably a lot longer.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I make a very simple salsa consisting of fresh tomatoes, fresh jalapeños and salt. Quantities to your taste. Simple but delicious.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I make a very simple salsa consisting of fresh tomatoes, fresh jalapeños and salt. Quantities to your taste. Simple but delicious.
Ya know, a lot to be said for keeping it simple. I used to get carried away with my dry rub and couldn't taste anything. Now a simple brine and salt and pepper and it's magic again.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
For salsa we only do Mrs. Renfro's Habanero salsa. It's a Fort Worth company started in a garage back in the 40s. They're a pretty big company now that sells salsa's, chow chow, peppers, and all kinds of other stuff. All their products are good, but their habanero is fantastic.

For hot sauce I like Valentina. Growing up in West Texas and having lots of Mexican friends, this is what was on all of their tables.

For chili sauce I love Sriracha. I cook with it a lot, but also love it on pizza, eggs, and especially raw oysters.

Lastly Walkers Wood scotch bonnet sauce. It's smoking hot and I love to eat it on veggies, especially green beans and grilled vegetables. I discovered it on my first trip to Jamaica and have been buying it ever since.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hot honey? That sounds amazing!

I like original Tabasco sauce for most things, like breakfast burritos and such, but last year, when I went out to Ohio, I stopped in at a Mexican restaurant and they had this awesome habanero sauce, the name of which escapes me. I'll try to remember to check when I get home, but it's got great flavor, as well as a lot of heat. So much heat, that one little bittboI got them to sell me has lasted this long, and probably a lot longer.
It is Runny, it's addictive. I keep thinking up things to put it on and mix it with some melted butter and put that on biscuits, downright sinful. I don't know anyone else that makes it but I'd bet some local aviaries have started doing it. Mike's has the right amount of heat.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For salsa we only do Mrs. Renfro's Habanero salsa. It's a Fort Worth company started in a garage back in the 40s. They're a pretty big company now that sells salsa's, chow chow, peppers, and all kinds of other stuff. All their products are good, but their habanero is fantastic.

For hot sauce I like Valentina. Growing up in West Texas and having lots of Mexican friends, this is what was on all of their tables.

For chili sauce I love Sriracha. I cook with it a lot, but also love it on pizza, eggs, and especially raw oysters.

Lastly Walkers Wood scotch bonnet sauce. It's smoking hot and I love to eat it on veggies, especially green beans and grilled vegetables. I discovered it on my first trip to Jamaica and have been buying it ever since.
I used to do Mrs. Renfro's salsas until I tried Walt Garrison's. Only problem is finding it here and that's a Ft. Worth company as well. His bottled BBQ sauce is not bad either.

I like Valentina better than Cholula but I have friends that should be on an IV drop of Cholula, they love that stuff.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Ya know, a lot to be said for keeping it simple. I used to get carried away with my dry rub and couldn't taste anything. Now a simple brine and salt and pepper and it's magic again.
Yes exactly! I went through the same thing. Salt and pepper generously on brisket is unbeatable.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they had crystal in the mess hall while I was in the Army. It was good.

I like similar ones, none too hot...just similar ones to Tobascco whether that be crystal, texas pete or the like.

Anything hotter than that I don't care for.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I used to do Mrs. Renfro's salsas until I tried Walt Garrison's. Only problem is finding it here and that's a Ft. Worth company as well. His bottled BBQ sauce is not bad either.

I like Valentina better than Cholula but I have friends that should be on an IV drop of Cholula, they love that stuff.

Yeah, I've looked for Garrison's products but haven't been able to find in any of our local stores. Cholula is good too and I use it from time to time just like Tabasco. Tabasco has a weird metallic taste to me and I really only like it for Bloody Mary's and cooking.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
In Albuquerque there is a restaurant called Sadies that makes salsa hot enough to burn the hair in your nostrils and help you grow it down below.

They sell it in the stores in Alb., and it's ok bottled, but much better in the restaurant. Even with the heat, it tastes fantastic.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I've looked for Garrison's products but haven't been able to find in any of our local stores. Cholula is good too and I use it from time to time just like Tabasco. Tabasco has a weird metallic taste to me and I really only like it for Bloody Mary's and cooking.
I have tried to get HEB to stock it. The man has a TX company and is an ex Cowboy. I have to order it online but the medium is worth it. I think you'd need the hot, sounds like you've already killed off some taste buds.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In Albuquerque there is a restaurant called Sadies that makes salsa hot enough to burn the hair in your nostrils and help you grow it down below.

They sell it in the stores in Alb., and it's ok bottled, but much better in the restaurant. Even with the heat, it tastes fantastic.
You need to change your moniker to GhostOfPepper.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
In El Paso, we gravitate to more non-tomato based salsas. The red is from the peppers. I prefer chile de arbol...
Mmmm... There's a tortilla factory in Westway (15 minutes from me that makes THE best handmade tortillas and you can walk into their place and buy some straight from them before they ship.
They also make an Arbol salsa that to die for!

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

My wife and I visit ABQ quite a bit. We have friends there and she has a tia that we adore. That and the salsa (dance) scene puts El Paso's to shame...
Every time we go we discuss moving there. I'll hit you up next time we go.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
Always have a few jars of homemade hot sauce in. Roghly chop some mixed chillies and peel some garlic cloves, I normally use about 20 odd birds eye, 5 jalepeno chillies and a couple of garlic bulbs. Soften them in some oil then add a bit of salt and a decent amount of cider/wine vinegar and bring it to a boil. Taste it and if it's too hot add a couple of tomatoes, if not chuck it straight in a blender until nearly smooth.
A couple of spoons of that on the side improves most foods but I particularly like it with bacon and eggs

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes exactly! I went through the same thing. Salt and pepper generously on brisket is unbeatable.
Yep, I have excluded paprika from any rubs, when it is combined with smoke and heat, it numbs the mouth a little.

It's a minor change but the last time I did a brisket, I used Maldon sea salt instead of Kosher and it really improved it. I am a salt fool and have been experimenting with different ones on smoked fish. Some trout fillets with just fresh coarse ground pepper and different salts is magic food with either alder or pecan smoke.

And ya want a great flavor? Marinate catfish fillets in soy, toasted sesame oil, garlic and ginger for 30 minutes, hot smoke it with pecan and get the edges crispy and top with just the green chopped part of scallions. Some fine eatin'.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
My wife and I visit ABQ quite a bit. We have friends there and she has a tia that we adore. That and the salsa (dance) scene puts El Paso's to shame...
Every time we go we discuss moving there. I'll hit you up next time we go.
That would be cool, but I only make it back once or twice a year. Grew up around there but have lived in the KC area the past 15 years.

You talking about the tortilla place brought back memories of college. One of my roommates was from Vado and we'd go to his abuela's after duck hunting some Saturdays and she didn't speak English but she would make these homemade tacos - with corn tortillas she made that morning from scratch - that were tremendous. She'd make us each like six great big tacos and if we didn't eat all of them she would ask him if something was wrong or if we were sick. Yeah, we were sick from being overstuffed but we loved it.

cowboyec

Reaction score
love salsa....2 favorite store bought brands...Herdez and Pace-Picante....Herdez my favorite right now.

hot sauce...Tobasco or Louisiana...love'em both.

BBQ Sauce...Sweet Baby Ray's is my favorite.. KC Masterpiece is good also...Bullseye is also really good.

Last edited:

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
love salsa....2 favorite store bought brands...Herdez and Pace-Picante....Herdez my favorite right now.

hot sauce...Tobasco or Louisiana...love'em both.

BBQ Sauce...Sweet Baby Ray's is my favorite.. KC Masterpiece is good also.
Please don't take offense to this, but you need to venture outside the walmart aisle more.