Some perspective on patience

12+88=7

Reaction score
Bob, I hear you. Because I became a fan around the same time period, 1968. I too enjoyed the 25 year run by Landry, Schramm, and all those great Dallas teams and players. It all died in 1986 with the playoff loss to LA, 20-0, shutout, embarrassed.The next 5 years were definitely a humbling experience for a spoiled Dallas fan.

That changed my mind set. I now just go year to year. The year begins at the start of free agency and ends with Super Bowl. Championship season or last place, it doesn't matter. It's about the chase. This way I get to enjoy every year, it's always new.

morat1959

Reaction score
This describes me to a "T".

I became a fan at 14 watching the Ice Bowl (I'm a self-taught fan coming from a baseball only family ... grandparents). I vividly remember the disheartening feeling the 2 years losing to Cleveland after the Ice Bowl .

I am a passionate fan. But becoming a severely impatient one. I'm very very tired of Jerry's results as GM. I buy no merchandise now, and walk away anytime I see a Jerrah interview on TV. I solely blame him for this quarter century of very poor results. I live on memories and hope and feel for our younger fans who wouldn't even recognize Cowboy excellence.
This!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Remember , I’m not arguing Garrett was a good HC. I’m arguing he was a better influence on Jerry building a better team.
That one point, largely misunderstood here, was why I was in agreement with you. I had a hard time with posters not seeing that was the one thing he brought to the party and the main reason Stuphen wanted him in Dallas, he needed an ally.

GenoT

Reaction score
Remember , I’m not arguing Garrett was a good HC. I’m arguing he was a better influence on Jerry building a better team.
Considering all your responses, you must be really FEELING this thread...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is where I differ from many fans here, I do not need a SB. I really don't and to be honest, I thought I would be a lot happier when they finally won that 1st one in 71. I wasn't and in 77, 92, 92 and 95, I wasn't overjoyed that they'd won another ring. It was short lived and when I relived each season, there were other games that stood out to me more than the actual winning of the SB and in fact those 2 SB losses to PIT stood out above the wins.

There are SB or bust fans and I do respect that as they have a right to be whatever kind of fan they want to be.

At some point, and this wasn't a cognitive thing that I was attempting, the season changed from a 16 game season to 16 1 game seasons and every game stood on it's own and not a connection to the future, it became the whole, not one of the parts.

I realize that isn't close to the norm here because many are not upfront about why they watch them play. They do not watch them play, they watch them to win as I did for so many seasons. That was my purpose, only a win mattered and there was no such thing as a good game that ended in a loss. I would not accept that other teams could be better than mine and there was some ego tied up in that as well.

I expect the Cowboys to lose to teams that I think are better. I expect them to lose 7 games this season to teams that I see as superior and if they end up 9-7, can I say that was a bad season?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Considering all your responses, you must be really FEELING this thread...
Geno, Greg caught some unnecessary heat for defending Garrett when that was misinterpreted as him being a Garrett defender, he really wasn't. He realized what I had accepted, Garrett was the best thing we were going to get because of the real problem with this team. Most would agree Parcells was a great coach but this was his worst stop by far.

All of that time, I kept asking who else are they going to get as HC? Who can fix this?

I wanted McC as one of my top two, along with Rivera, but I do not think he can fix this unless he's allowed to and I don't know if that's possible. The root of the problem refuses to recognize himself as that, his ego won't allow it. The Cowboys are nothing more than the Raiders II as long as he's in charge. And he's much worse than Crazy Al ever was at his craziest.

Big_D

Reaction score

They definitely improved, that's for sure considering what the drafts used to look like. Jerry screwed this team up pretty good for a long time. And even though they improved, they were still making stupid decisions with high end draft picks. Not blaming JG for that but it was still happening. Nothing wrong with the occasional gamble but they took unnecessary risks a lot. Even still you have a solid group of players and you're still going 8-8. Why is that? Better drafts ultimately need to lead somewhere but this team is always stuck in the mud. Will it change now? I love the offseason so far. Nice coaching addition, the analytics team, good backup QB, finally brought in some DTs, great draft.. Looking to improve special teams, a nice kicking competition. Things look different!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bob, I hear you. Because I became a fan around the same time period, 1968. I too enjoyed the 25 year run by Landry, Schramm, and all those great Dallas teams and players. It all died in 1986 with the playoff loss to LA, 20-0, shutout, embarrassed.The next 5 years were definitely a humbling experience for a spoiled Dallas fan.

That changed my mind set. I now just go year to year. The year begins at the start of free agency and ends with Super Bowl. Championship season or last place, it doesn't matter. It's about the chase. This way I get to enjoy every year, it's always new.
That’s a great attitude. I don’t get worked up too much anymore either. I call it lowering the Bar like other franchises who don’t expect to be playing for championships.

My hope is 16 meaningful games( nothing worse than season over by Thanksgiving) and maybe a little gravy on top in January with a playoff game or two.

Championship football is for ownerships which take their football much more serious than we do.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They definitely improved, that's for sure considering what the drafts used to look like. Jerry screwed this team up pretty good for a long time. And even though they improved, they were still making stupid decisions with high end draft picks. Not blaming JG for that but it was still happening. Nothing wrong with the occasional gamble but they took unnecessary risks a lot. Even still you have a solid group of players and you're still going 8-8. Why is that? Better drafts ultimately need to lead somewhere but this team is always stuck in the mud. Will it change now? I love the offseason so far. Nice coaching addition, the analytics team, good backup QB, finally brought in some DTs, great draft.. Looking to improve special teams, a nice kicking competition. Things look different!
I agree with everything but your last sentence.

Hopefully the results will look different.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I prayed for patience but got tired of waiting and quit.
Up until now I’ve been hopeful I could out live Jerry. He has about 10 years on me. But he can isolate himself better than we can now.

I wonder if he’ll attend the games if we have them this year placing himself at risk. I hope so. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Geno, Greg caught some unnecessary heat for defending Garrett when that was misinterpreted as him being a Garrett defender, he really wasn't. He realized what I had accepted, Garrett was the best thing we were going to get because of the real problem with this team. Most would agree Parcells was a great coach but this was his worst stop by far.

All of that time, I kept asking who else are they going to get as HC? Who can fix this?

I wanted McC as one of my top two, along with Rivera, but I do not think he can fix this unless he's allowed to and I don't know if that's possible. The root of the problem refuses to recognize himself as that, his ego won't allow it. The Cowboys are nothing more than the Raiders II as long as he's in charge. And he's much worse than Crazy Al ever was at his craziest.
Thanks CC.

I will admit I brought some of that on myself as only I can do defending him against the Lynch Mob but you are spot in with your assessment. Koodos ( did I spell that right). Hope all is well at the Horseshoe!

Stay safe

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is where I differ from many fans here, I do not need a SB. I really don't and to be honest, I thought I would be a lot happier when they finally won that 1st one in 71. I wasn't and in 77, 92, 92 and 95, I wasn't overjoyed that they'd won another ring. It was short lived and when I relived each season, there were other games that stood out to me more than the actual winning of the SB and in fact those 2 SB losses to PIT stood out above the wins.

There are SB or bust fans and I do respect that as they have a right to be whatever kind of fan they want to be.

At some point, and this wasn't a cognitive thing that I was attempting, the season changed from a 16 game season to 16 1 game seasons and every game stood on it's own and not a connection to the future, it became the whole, not one of the parts.

I realize that isn't close to the norm here because many are not upfront about why they watch them play. They do not watch them play, they watch them to win as I did for so many seasons. That was my purpose, only a win mattered and there was no such thing as a good game that ended in a loss. I would not accept that other teams could be better than mine and there was some ego tied up in that as well.

I expect the Cowboys to lose to teams that I think are better. I expect them to lose 7 games this season to teams that I see as superior and if they end up 9-7, can I say that was a bad season?
And there’s nothing wrong with that. Our plates are pretty full. We’ve seen and lived it all.

8 Super Bowls, 5 Rings, 17 Championship games, 20 consecutive winning seasons is a pretty frikin full life of Cowboys Football. I have a room full of memorabilia.

But I get what Bob is saying. He wants his boys to feel the way he does and that is only possible with some championships.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And there’s nothing wrong with that. Our plates are pretty full. We’ve seen and lived it all.

8 Super Bowls, 5 Rings, 17 Championship games, 20 consecutive winning seasons is a pretty frikin full life of Cowboys Football. I have a room full of memorabilia.

But I get what Bob is saying. He wants his boys to feel the way he does and that is only possible with some championships.
I feel the same way for the young fans that signed on after 95 and haven't seen anything but this. They are actually better fans that I am, they're like Browns and Lions fans, no reward for their loyalty. I've got my memories of greatness.

I remember the feeling I got when the Rangers finally got to the big dance and then the Mavs winning it all, all of those wasted seasons dissipated and it seemed like an investment that had finally paid off. Especially the damned Rangers. Talk about your tease team. June they were a hot babe in a bikini, July they were a sloppy drunk but I'd still consider that and by August they were a beast, pregnant with triplets and missing most of her teeth. I remember that first WS game, I had a lump in my throat as I saw the camera pan down the team line and I felt like Rudy's Dad when he sees the stadium for the first time.

For a team to have accomplished what they did in their first 35 years to what they have in their last 25 is sad indeed. Not really one meaningful playoff game in all that time. These young fans deserve better than that old buzzard has delivered.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel the same way for the young fans that signed on after 95 and haven't seen anything but this. They are actually better fans that I am, they're like Browns and Lions fans, no reward for their loyalty. I've got my memories of greatness.

I remember the feeling I got when the Rangers finally got to the big dance and then the Mavs winning it all, all of those wasted seasons dissipated and it seemed like an investment that had finally paid off. Especially the damned Rangers. Talk about your tease team. June they were a hot babe in a bikini, July they were a sloppy drunk but I'd still consider that and by August they were a beast, pregnant with triplets and missing most of her teeth. I remember that first WS game, I had a lump in my throat as I saw the camera pan down the team line and I felt like Rudy's Dad when he sees the stadium for the first time.

For a team to have accomplished what they did in their first 35 years to what they have in their last 25 is sad indeed. Not really one meaningful playoff game in all that time. These young fans deserve better than that old buzzard has delivered.
It’s like that great Muddy Waters song, “You can’t lose what’cha never had”, lol. Our younger fans deserve better than what they have received from the Jones Cartel but they don’t have much else to compare it with.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
When I saw this thread, I was hoping it was about Patience Barton (Suzanne Pleshette) of Support Your Local Gunfighter fame.

latest

Imagine my disappointment..............