CFZ Some Pre-season game reminders about the players who play in those games

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Apparently the Ravens think otherwise.

and? Cowboys starter are reportedly will be playing some in the last pre season game get them a chance to see some live action before the start of the season. What Ravens do I don't give a damn.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yeah the numbers I used in the OP were for all 32 teams, not just the ‘Boys.

I agree that the penalties last Sat were ridiculous. And penalties have been a real problem for this team. But it doesn’t necessarily mean they continue when the reg starts just because they happened Sat night.

To me the real issue is an ongoing lack of focus and discipline in the organizational culture starting at the top. The guys at the top talk too much and meddle way too much in areas that affect player discipline. It’s still on Big Mac and his staff to address this. But the whole culture is a big part of it.

+1 .....my words after the game

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
preseason is for 2 things
one on one battles
discipline

Don't concern yourselves with schemes or results on a team level

Flamma

Reaction score
and? Cowboys starter are reportedly will be playing some in the last pre season game get them a chance to see some live action before the start of the season. What Ravens do I don't give a damn.

I'm just saying for some teams preseason is about winning. The Ravens have won 20 preseason games in a row. That's not coincidence. I just thought that was comical. What are they trying to prove? No one cares.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Just curious how the high penalty rate falls into all this vs the regular season penalty rate?
I dont think that means much, except it is a reflection on the teaching aspect of the coaches.
Most of those guys wont be playing in sept.
Also those refs made some calls on plays they should have let slide.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Ah yes…Pre-season….that time of year when lots of noise and scrutiny are made by us fans and the sports media over games that mean absolutely nothing in the standings, and mostly involve players who will not play much or even be on the roster by the time the regular season starts Sept. 11.

It’s ok. It’s a time honored practice. Make training camp practices, pre-season games and a host of marginal players the center of fan talk and scrutiny. Been a tradition for decades.

But here are some facts to consider about the players who mostly play in the pre-season:
  • Over 30% of the players currently playing the majority of Cowboys pre-season game snaps will never play a regular season snap for us.
  • According to a 2016 study by Pro Football Reference, of the 260 players drafted each year in the NFL, only about 25 will go on to have “significant careers performing at a high level”, and that the “bust rate” for draft choices is actually pretty high. (Here’s link to the article if interested: https://www.dailynorseman.com/2022/4/26/23042105/nfl-draft-pick-bust-rate-remains-very-high)
  • Only about half of 1st round draft picks sign a second contract with their original team. For 2nd-5th rounders it significantly less than that.
  • The vast majority of players playing in our pre-season games will not even be in the NFL three years from now.
So remember- yes it’s fun to watch football again. Even if it’s bad football as we saw Saturday night. But the key thing to remember is this- pre-season games mean a whole lot less than what we as fans seem to think they do.

PS games rarely indicate much about the team’s readiness for the regular season and it rarely shows us a new player that is going to make a big difference when the regular season starts. The real Cowboys will show us what they are starting Sept. 11th.
Well bob I agree with what u say, but there are some things I think your missing.
1.bkup qb's
Denver by far had the best looking bkup, he was the older guy johnson, who started funky, but settled in and was doing a great job.
He looked more like a starter than a bkup.
A good pass is a good pass whether it is SB or PS game ! And he threw 2 vg td passes. and most of his passes were on target, good pocket presence.
Dallas was bad in this area, as rush, seemed to have taken 3 steps back, he looked awful, but his protection was also kinda bad.
Dinuci while not great , looked better and more at home out there, so that is a plus.
We may see Grier in charger game or the last one.

2. WR , again Denver had 2 vg wr's who made the 2 td catches, and some other good catches that were contested good by the dallas players.
Again a good catch is a good catch, whether it is SB or PS game !
I didnt see much with dallas, but feheko looked good on his td catch.

3. this should have been #1 lol, but BOTH TEAMS are playing with rookies and low level pickups and wana be's.
So the only difference is the coaching/teaching aspect,maybe even culture aspect, and the low level players and rookies they pick in draft or udfa.
I would have to say Denver did a better job in all these areas , resulting in fielding better players and better prepared players.

4.Run game, Dallas won this area, both on defense and offense.
I liked malick davis, liked the way he moved and his vision, so they probably cut him lol.

5.Dallas had 1 standout player, this bland guy (cb) who was hustling, making tackles, reading plays etc, I watched the nate and boys vid,
and they all liked him too. So now will he do it again, and if so will they elevate him or put him on PS ! lol
Just 1 PS game but he looked really good.

6.Turpin they didnt give him much to do, so you cant evaluate him very good if you dont give him some action.
I think maybe they told him to fair catch the punts, as he didnt try to make a run on any of them, and in ps why not tell him to try returning them,
or let him decide. and he had 1 jet sweep I think, and 2 pass targets. Need more than that to evaluate him properly.

So there are things in these PS games that mean something, and it isnt winning or losing , it is evaluations, and then what a team does with
the evaluations. So often I see a guy who looks good, and dallas cuts them or puts on PS, and other teams scoop them up.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I dont think that means much, except it is a reflection on the teaching aspect of the coaches.
Most of those guys wont be playing in sept.
Also those refs made some calls on plays they should have let slide.
Thanks, my concern is, I hope this does not carry over into the regular season.
The Penalties were a major problem last year.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well we shall soon find out lol.
mike said he will fix that, and will be more involved on offense, I will wait and see if either of those happen.
I’m always of the opinion that off-season, Training camp and pre-season games are not the way you know what kind of team you have. IMO, we won’t know for at least 6-8 weeks.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ah yes…Pre-season….that time of year when lots of noise and scrutiny are made by us fans and the sports media over games that mean absolutely nothing in the standings, and mostly involve players who will not play much or even be on the roster by the time the regular season starts Sept. 11.

It’s ok. It’s a time honored practice. Make training camp practices, pre-season games and a host of marginal players the center of fan talk and scrutiny. Been a tradition for decades.

But here are some facts to consider about the players who mostly play in the pre-season:
  • Over 30% of the players currently playing the majority of Cowboys pre-season game snaps will never play a regular season snap for us.
  • According to a 2016 study by Pro Football Reference, of the 260 players drafted each year in the NFL, only about 25 will go on to have “significant careers performing at a high level”, and that the “bust rate” for draft choices is actually pretty high. (Here’s link to the article if interested: https://www.dailynorseman.com/2022/4/26/23042105/nfl-draft-pick-bust-rate-remains-very-high)
  • Only about half of 1st round draft picks sign a second contract with their original team. For 2nd-5th rounders it significantly less than that.
  • The vast majority of players playing in our pre-season games will not even be in the NFL three years from now.
So remember- yes it’s fun to watch football again. Even if it’s bad football as we saw Saturday night. But the key thing to remember is this- pre-season games mean a whole lot less than what we as fans seem to think they do.

PS games rarely indicate much about the team’s readiness for the regular season and it rarely shows us a new player that is going to make a big difference when the regular season starts. The real Cowboys will show us what they are starting Sept. 11th.
Half the board gave up on the 2022 Cowboys this year after last Saturdays game.:laugh: