Some quick thoughts/opinions about yesterday's 1st preseason game!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Glad football is finally back!

-Was real impressed with Cooper Rush in his only drive. He was quick with his decisions and even hit on a deep shot.
-Trey Lance on the other hand, looked hesitant with his reads and his accuracy was all over the place. He looks more like a rookie QB to me.
-Rico Dowdle in his small sample size looked good. He must see more game action to see if he can be apart of the solution at the position.
-Thought the OL had an up and down day, but many probably won't be on this roster.
-Liked what I saw with Kneeland in his limited snaps, was very active, especially against the run.
-Should we be worried about our pass rush? No pressure all game long and this was against a banged up OL.
-Saw some flashes out of Overshown, Liafaul although they played limited snaps.
-Wasn't too impressed with Carson/Scott, thought both had their struggles from the start.
-Questionable play call on that 4th and goal needing 1 yard, going with a fade.
-Boy, that 50 year old Georgia QB can't throw over the middle!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Considering who was playing, we don't know what we know. Overshown and Liafaul did look like they have potential and Kendrick did well too. Cooper Rush needs to keep the QB2 job and Trey Lance doesn't appear close to being promoted.

Creeper

Reaction score
I did not like the way the game ended. I know it is just preseason, but I want to see every player on the team fight to win all the time. I thought the defense showed no life at the end. One thing to watch. ON that last play, a 4th and goal, the Cowboys had two big DTs in the game. You know in that situation Quinn would have had 4 pass rushers in the game, and it might have made a difference. When the QB rolled out of the pocket, the two DTs could not catch him or pressure him and he got the pass off. It's just a preseason game and maybe it means nothing, but I hope Zimmer is more aggressive than that in the regular season.

My big concerns going into this game was the DL, and nothing I saw eased my concerns. Guys who will be playing in the rotation when the season starts struggled against the Rams backup offensive linemen. Of course when the season starts, the Cowboys will have Micah and DLaw out there, and that will make a huge difference, but the interior DL need to improve, and a lot.

Trey Lance is awful. There is no chance he takes the backup spot from Rush based on the game yesterday. That was also a big disappointment. He dinks and dunks, and he's not even accurate then. I think we can see why the 49ers let him go for a 4th round pick. And yet, I think the Rams got the better end of the deal. Trey Lance does not look like an NFL QB. I missed Ben DiNucci yesterday.

Who is this kid Kelvin Harmon? He made two excellent catches yesterday. Was it a fluke or does he have great hands? I want to see more. I think Brooks is the 4th WRs if CeeDee comes back. They need to give Tyron Bill-Johnson more opportunities. I don't know how good or bad he is, but I want to find out. By the way, how many guys named Johnson do the Cowboys have on their team. There was one shot yesterday where 3 of them were lined up together on defense!

Out of all the offensive linemen that played yesterday, I think the Cowboys have enough talent to put together a starting 5 and a good backup 5. I think Guyton will be okay. Beebe too. They need time. Biadasz wasn't all that great his rookie season either.

I am not convinced by the 4 or 5 interceptions the Cowboys had. Taking nothing away from the defensive secondary, but I think some of the backups were not very good in coverage. I also didn't like that there was absolutely no pass rush. But not having Micah on the field makes a big difference. We need big seasons from Micah and DLaw.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Should we be worried about our pass rush? No pressure all game long and this was against a banged up OL.
To me this is the big question going into the season. Have we done enough to replace the sacks that left in free agency, and now with Sam Williams out of the equation? Don't care how good our secondary is if a QB has all day to throw.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

-Was real impressed with Cooper Rush in his only drive. He was quick with his decisions and even hit on a deep shot.
-Trey Lance on the other hand, looked hesitant with his reads and his accuracy was all over the place. He looks more like a rookie QB to me.
-Rico Dowdle in his small sample size looked good. He must see more game action to see if he can be apart of the solution at the position.
-Thought the OL had an up and down day, but many probably won't be on this roster.
-Liked what I saw with Kneeland in his limited snaps, was very active, especially against the run.
-Should we be worried about our pass rush? No pressure all game long and this was against a banged up OL.
-Wasn't too impressed with Carson/Scott, thought both had their struggles from the start.
Pass rush is non-existent period!!!! If Micah doens't get there, nobody else really does

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I did not like the way the game ended. I know it is just preseason, but I want to see every player on the team fight to win all the time. I thought the defense showed no life at the end. One thing to watch. ON that last play, a 4th and goal, the Cowboys had two big DTs in the game. You know in that situation Quinn would have had 4 pass rushers in the game, and it might have made a difference. When the QB rolled out of the pocket, the two DTs could not catch him or pressure him and he got the pass off. It's just a preseason game and maybe it means nothing, but I hope Zimmer is more aggressive than that in the regular season.

My big concerns going into this game was the DL, and nothing I saw eased my concerns. Guys who will be playing in the rotation when the season starts struggled against the Rams backup offensive linemen. Of course when the season starts, the Cowboys will have Micah and DLaw out there, and that will make a huge difference, but the interior DL need to improve, and a lot.

Trey Lance is awful. There is no chance he takes the backup spot from Rush based on the game yesterday. That was also a big disappointment. He dinks and dunks, and he's not even accurate then. I think we can see why the 49ers let him go for a 4th round pick. And yet, I think the Rams got the better end of the deal. Trey Lance does not look like an NFL QB. I missed Ben DiNucci yesterday.

Who is this kid Kelvin Harmon? He made two excellent catches yesterday. Was it a fluke or does he have great hands? I want to see more. I think Brooks is the 4th WRs if CeeDee comes back. They need to give Tyron Bill-Johnson more opportunities. I don't know how good or bad he is, but I want to find out. By the way, how many guys named Johnson do the Cowboys have on their team. There was one shot yesterday where 3 of them were lined up together on defense!

Out of all the offensive linemen that played yesterday, I think the Cowboys have enough talent to put together a starting 5 and a good backup 5. I think Guyton will be okay. Beebe too. They need time. Biadasz wasn't all that great his rookie season either.

I am not convinced by the 4 or 5 interceptions the Cowboys had. Taking nothing away from the defensive secondary, but I think some of the backups were not very good in coverage. I also didn't like that there was absolutely no pass rush. But not having Micah on the field makes a big difference. We need big seasons from Micah and DLaw.
I think the second rotation of DL guys did better than Mazi and those guys

JustChip

Reaction score

I questioned that 4th down call, but it’s preseason and I suspect they just wanted to see if Lance could handle that situation. Unfortunately, that was just one if many horrible throws.

75boyz

Reaction score

Extremely good post.
My game watching glasses share the same prescription as yours.
Spot on.

75boyz

Reaction score
As I mentioned in the post game thread.
I know it was the bottom roster guys...

But even with that, I still lack confidence in Solari and Zgonina to coach up our oline and dline to what they need to be.

Neither of the trenches appeared even average for a majority of the day.
The oline could not handle a basic 4 man rush all day.
The dline could not pressure the QB all day.

Bottom of the roster players or not, I expected more coaching up/preparedness of the groups we put out there. Total fails out of both lines.
I sure hope they can coach up the starters better.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He was very lucky he was not picked off with a very bad throw into the end zone.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
various:

Rush made a great read on that deep ball but threw it 5 yards short or would have been a walk in TD that gave us the winning margin.
Watching Rush and Lance sent Dak's stock up.
Dowdle has some juice.
New DB group same as old DG group. Give up some passes but make big plays turning it over.

The fact Stetson won a Natty tells you all you need to know about how easy it is to play QB when you have the very best players around you in college.

Lance: Lance has a weird combination of read challenges, pass accuracy but also playing to his weaknesses.
Whew that is tough to overcome.
Looked so good on some scrambles then goes accuracy pass on 3rd and 10 to blow the series.
He is not the guy.

Zim's defense offers a lot of hope. Does less obvious stuff which is harder to game plan against.

Mazi was a big plus for me. He looks night and day stronger.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Considering who was playing, we don't know what we know. Overshown and Liafaul did look like they have potential and Kendrick did well too. Cooper Rush needs to keep the QB2 job and Trey Lance doesn't appear close to being promoted.
100%

blueblood70

Reaction score

first of all you cannot be judging any play calls or what they were doing in situational football like going for it on a 65 yard field goal versus the next time it should have went and kicked the field goal they went for it this is about packages for players and about individual players being evaluated has nothing to do with the final score or the play calling...

Which by the way I find it comical that you would say that Cooper rush that that hit on the deep shot was good dude it was so over underthrown it should have been a touchdown if he hit that guy in stride most likely it's a touchdown he had to stop slow down and the DB almost hit him so yeah it was a nice completion by the receiver finding the ball and going back for it but if we're gonna tear quarterbacks apart around here neither one of them have looked good in camp I'm talking about the backups and although Cooper rush hit that big play I don't see it... I saw underthrown pass that somehow he's getting a pass because he's a backup and he's being congratulated for a bad pass whereas in training camp we have to hear about how Prescott anything he does wrong it's elevated so I'm elevate this that was a bad throw should have hit him in stride should have been a touchdown.. But we know that about Cooper rush he doesn't have a big arm...

I thought Carson looked pretty good....

By the way if you really watched the game and you're worried about the pressure you might have had notes about 6 offensive lineman that should have been called for holding that kept us from getting to the quarterback including on the last drive there were four of them literally on the last play two players were holding our guy that's the only reason Stetson Bennett got outside and threw that touchdown it was not just a hold it was a whole of fame hold by two players...

And yes, Rico looked good on the few snaps he got , they obvoulsy abandon the run to let lance wor, but he actually looked good last year his lack of production last year falls squarely on Mike McCarthy have been used more in real first and second down play short yardage it should have been flipped what Tony did last year should have been rico's play calls and then vice versa Tony would have been better for it...

when healthy Rico is a solid running back..

But I'll finish with this you shouldn't even be really doing the whole pros and cons thing I mean I just looked at individuals and I think the young players did what they were supposed to do some of the second year players showed some improvement I like what I saw but I'm not making any judgments on how that relates to the regular season and how we got to overreact and say oh we better go out and find more veterans for depth, come on dude this is a severe overreaction to the first PS game..

blueblood70

Reaction score

The offensive lineman were held a lot and most of it came on that last drive you saying it let lack of pressure they literally were really trying to get to the quarterback and they were being held and it's the only reason the guys got outside hell I don't know who it was but he got held by two different offensive lineman at the same time they basically sandwiched him and just held him and that's the only reason Stetson Bennett got to the outside all those penalties on that drive are what caused us to lose that game..IMHO

it's prices that you're judging our pass rush by 1 preseason game where there is absolutely no game planning no stunts no twists no crazy ways to try to get to the quarterback trust me it will not just be Micah and tank they'll manufacturer sacks by blitzing the safety by having Kneeland and the linebackers also be involved and catch teams in bad positions and that's how you get sex not by playing a straight up vanilla game.. Trust me this is a different type of defense and I think zimmer's defense they create sacks they use the linebackers they use the safeties and the corners to blitz more than you think they disguise it very well and they're not gonna do that in a PS game. Can we stop overreacting to a preseason game especially the first preseason game literally the worst thing you can do as a fan is completely overreact to a preseason game and say ohh we're in trouble this is the way it looks every preseason Mike McCarthy approaches the preseason like it's a glorified practice he doesn't game plan he doesn't care about the score he doesn't care about down and distance, he literally wanted to see players do certain things and so everything is gonna look disjointed and trust me you're overreacting..

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
first of all you cannot be judging any play calls or what they were doing in situational football like going for it on a 65 yard field goal versus the next time it should have went and kicked the field goal they went for it this is about packages for players and about individual players being evaluated has nothing to do with the final score or the play calling...

Which by the way I find it comical that you would say that Cooper rush that that hit on the deep shot was good dude it was so over underthrown it should have been a touchdown if he hit that guy in stride most likely it's a touchdown he had to stop slow down and the DB almost hit him so yeah it was a nice completion by the receiver finding the ball and going back for it but if we're gonna tear quarterbacks apart around here neither one of them have looked good in camp I'm talking about the backups and although Cooper rush hit that big play I don't see it... I saw underthrown pass that somehow he's getting a pass because he's a backup and he's being congratulated for a bad pass whereas in training camp we have to hear about how Prescott anything he does wrong it's elevated so I'm elevate this that was a bad throw should have hit him in stride should have been a touchdown.. But we know that about Cooper rush he doesn't have a big arm...

I thought Carson looked pretty good....

By the way if you really watched the game and you're worried about the pressure you might have had notes about 6 offensive lineman that should have been called for holding that kept us from getting to the quarterback including on the last drive there were four of them literally on the last play two players were holding our guy that's the only reason Stetson Bennett got outside and threw that touchdown it was not just a hold it was a whole of fame hold by two players...

And yes, Rico looked good on the few snaps he got , they obvoulsy abandon the run to let lance wor, but he actually looked good last year his lack of production last year falls squarely on Mike McCarthy have been used more in real first and second down play short yardage it should have been flipped what Tony did last year should have been rico's play calls and then vice versa Tony would have been better for it...

when healthy Rico is a solid running back..

But I'll finish with this you shouldn't even be really doing the whole pros and cons thing I mean I just looked at individuals and I think the young players did what they were supposed to do some of the second year players showed some improvement I like what I saw but I'm not making any judgments on how that relates to the regular season and how we got to overreact and say oh we better go out and find more veterans for depth, come on dude this is a severe overreaction to the first PS game..
My in-game comment on the Rush deep ball was just that. The WR had to come back for the ball, if he hits him inside he's still running.