Some quick thoughts/opinions about yesterday's 1st preseason game!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Trey to me looked like a rookie QB who needs development. It makes sense due to his limited games on both the college and NFL level. I cannot see him overtaking Rush, but they may decide to keep him as that developmental QB.
He is out of contract and rights after the year.
Dallas could keep him but why?
If he can't help you now he just eats a spot to go hit free agency next year.
Waste a spot all year?

Or go get some other practice squad type QB; keep Dak and rush and go with 2 roster spot spots eaten at QB.
Keep a young guy you have under contract for 2 more years at another position like WR who can help on special teams.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He is out of contract and rights after the year.
Dallas could keep him but why?
If he can't help you now he just eats a spot to go hit free agency next year.
Waste a spot all year?

Or go get some other practice squad type QB; keep Dak and rush and go with 2 roster spot spots eaten at QB.
Keep a young guy you have under contract for 2 more years at another position like WR who can help on special teams.
I agree, just too expensive to keep as a developmental qb

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
What are we doing here?

WIlliams and Kneeland are replacing Armstrong and Fowler - neither of whom provided any consistency rushing the passer anyways. The Williams injury is what it is, but losing Armstrong and Fowler doesn't matter.

In totality, the passrush comes from Micah and his ability to dictate blocking schemes.
Here’s what we’re doing here.

You acknowledge Williams is gone for the season so his potential is moot. So per your response, that back-up plan is Kneeland, who’s most prodigious output in a season was 4.5 sacks while playing at a directional school. Last year just Armstrong alone had 7.5 sacks as a back-up rotational guy.

Other than Parsons, who can win off the edge? As of now no proven back-up edge rushes or even twitchy potentials. Better hope your DB’s can cover.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Glad football is finally back!

-Was real impressed with Cooper Rush in his only drive. He was quick with his decisions and even hit on a deep shot.
-Trey Lance on the other hand, looked hesitant with his reads and his accuracy was all over the place. He looks more like a rookie QB to me.
-Rico Dowdle in his small sample size looked good. He must see more game action to see if he can be apart of the solution at the position.
-Thought the OL had an up and down day, but many probably won't be on this roster.
-Liked what I saw with Kneeland in his limited snaps, was very active, especially against the run.
-Should we be worried about our pass rush? No pressure all game long and this was against a banged up OL.
-Saw some flashes out of Overshown, Liafaul although they played limited snaps.
-Wasn't too impressed with Carson/Scott, thought both had their struggles from the start.
-Questionable play call on that 4th and goal needing 1 yard, going with a fade.
-Boy, that 50 year old Georgia QB can't throw over the middle!
Everyone but Lance had limited snaps so it was hard to get a grasp on how they all played. Broaddus did an excellent job on G-Bag breaking down Lance and his missed throws and reads. I think he played better in the second half but playing with third and 4th stringers it’s hard to judge. Rush missed a touchdown pass because of his weak arm strength. He knows the offense and makes the right reads so I can’t imagine him losing the backup battle.

Guyton looks like the second coming of Tyler but is actually better because he is a true left tackle. Overshown and Bell flashed. The team looks well coached overall. Supposedly Ball played real well at right guard. Looking forward to the Raiders game.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Raiders have the worst QBs in the history of the NFL. We must be able to get something from them in return for Lance.

GMO415

Reaction score
Yes it was only preseason, but I think it will be 31 years now.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Let’s face it Donovan Wilson if healthy starts in Cleveland as he should . Does Marquise Bell see spot duty because Hooker being the second safety , the free safety . I cant imagine Marquise Bell on the bench for long stretches or in a Zim D does a LB take a seat to get the extra safety on the field ?

quickccc

Reaction score

-Was real impressed with Cooper Rush in his only drive. He was quick with his decisions and even hit on a deep shot.
-Trey Lance on the other hand, looked hesitant with his reads and his accuracy was all over the place. He looks more like a rookie QB to me.
-Rico Dowdle in his small sample size looked good. He must see more game action to see if he can be apart of the solution at the position.
-Thought the OL had an up and down day, but many probably won't be on this roster.
-Liked what I saw with Kneeland in his limited snaps, was very active, especially against the run.
-Should we be worried about our pass rush? No pressure all game long and this was against a banged up OL.
-Wasn't too impressed with Carson/Scott, thought both had their struggles from the start.
- I'd like to review the Rams game the 2nd time around ...
- Cooper Rush while physically more limited, has feel for pass game and vertical accuracy that the more physically gifted Lance lacks.
- Lance is just not accuracy when he has to push the ball down field- constantly overthrows, and too wide errand passes.
- Lance makes his receivers have to work harder than they should. contouring, reaching back, and he's quick to bail and run upfield
once he's confused about his progression reads and cannot find his " open " targets.
- Some say Lance missed and could not find his targets
- i don't recall hearing from Hunter Lupeke vs Rams.
- Excellent deep ball tracking from WR Jalen brooks ...
- i think Cropper would've stood out far more if not for Lance's struggles in pass game
- Cropper could be a nice backup to Turpin
- Did inexperience OG Asim Richards whiff on a few assignments ? Expect him back at LT with Chuma out.
- per Stephen, Ford, Cropper i saw too many short passes & rookie Fournoy had his struggles

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Let’s face it Donovan Wilson if healthy starts in Cleveland as he should . Does Marquise Bell see spot duty because Hooker being the second safety , the free safety . I cant imagine Marquise Bell on the bench for long stretches or in a Zim D does a LB take a seat to get the extra safety on the field ?
I don't think you'll see Bell at free safety. I hope that Juanyeh Thomas can backup FS but really they are all SS besides Hooker.

quickccc

Reaction score

- Overshown instincts and nose the ball still sticks out immediately. - pleaze stay healthy, guy !
- Kneeland was showing up vs run i dunno what we have as a 4th DE
- i just did not see a pass rush with the backups of backups - maybe be a HUGE minus difference without the Fowler, Williams
to help out with depth and nickel rush packages.
- Eric Scott struggled for much of the first half of the game be4 his INT. maybe he's better in zones than man ?
- i'd like to review Mazi again. Ditto with Justin Rogers
- i don't think we get much from Chauncy at edge DE.
- the safety play were standouts -especially Bell- INTs ruled from the Cowboys defense- one was called off per penalty. and Bell could've
had another at goal line off his hands.
i was interested in how Bell will develop at safety - 9 tackles and one INT is a great start !
- Still have yet to see from Fehoko. Wil he even make the team thsi year ?

RonWashington

Reaction score
I don't think you'll see Bell at free safety. I hope that Juanyeh Thomas can backup FS but really they are all SS besides Hooker.

Like Thomas as well but the thought of wasting Bell on the sidelines not appealing . Zim will have to get creative get him on the field.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Like Thomas as well but the thought of wasting Bell on the sidelines not appealing . Zim will have to get creative get him on the field.
I mention Juanyeh because of the guys other than Hooker he's the best in coverage.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
First things - Yes, I know it's just preseason, and it doesn't count.

With that out of the way... That was as perfect a JonesBoys loss as you can script.

Pick a guy off 4 times, but can't score a TD.

Pick him off a 5th time on 4th & long to seemingly seal the deal.

Flag erases that and gives the Rams a first down.

On 4th and Goal with 11 seconds left you hurry the QB, and flush him out of the pocket only to have him make a mechanically inept throw that still finds a falling down Rams player for the last second TD.

Don't allow a TD all game until the very last drive.

Choking games away like that permeates the entire organization and is the identity of the Jerry JonesBoys. They expect to blow it subconsciously in any moment of truth whether it's one last play in a meaningless preseason game or the playoffs.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Here’s what we’re doing here.

You acknowledge Williams is gone for the season so his potential is moot. So per your response, that back-up plan is Kneeland, who’s most prodigious output in a season was 4.5 sacks while playing at a directional school. Last year just Armstrong alone had 7.5 sacks as a back-up rotational guy.

Other than Parsons, who can win off the edge? As of now no proven back-up edge rushes or even twitchy potentials. Better hope your DB’s can cover.
Ok but it's not as if there are other passrushers just sitting out there available.

The plan was Williams, becuase of injury it didn't work.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
First things - Yes, I know it's just preseason, and it doesn't count.

With that out of the way... That was as perfect a JonesBoys loss as you can script.

Pick a guy off 4 times, but can't score a TD.

Pick him off a 5th time on 4th & long to seemingly seal the deal.

Flag erases that and gives the Rams a first down.

On 4th and Goal with 11 seconds left you hurry the QB, and flush him out of the pocket only to have him make a mechanically inept throw that still finds a falling down Rams player for the last second TD.

Don't allow a TD all game until the very last drive.

Choking games away like that permeates the entire organization and is the identity of the Jerry JonesBoys. They expect to blow it subconsciously in any moment of truth whether it's one last play in a meaningless preseason game or the playoffs.
The Cowboys don't emphasize winning in the preseason. Their record has been horrible for many years now.

blueblood70

Reaction score
At least the underneath throw was complete, where many of Lance' shots were overthrown and no chance to catch.
I don't care if that was Prescott dude Cooper rush the blocks were great he had plenty of time he stood back there and that's what he is everyone thinks it's dudes 501 record with special go back and watch the games that they made his players be special around him that was a better catch than it was a throw he had a long time to throw the ball he had no reason for it to be short that's his arm that's mostly all he has he puts air under a football more than he throws it with velocity and therefore this happens a lot.. And yes I get it he looks better than Trey Lance and he should he's had a lot more time on the field especially in real games the point with Trey Lance is he's still 23 years old never really had a lot of time on the field he's been hurt he's been third string he's not getting a lot of snaps I think that his upside his mobility is what's gonna keep him here as emergency third he may not beat out Cooper rush this year but the more he gets this type of experience the better he's gonna get Cooper rush this is it this is who he is that's all I'm saying he has no upside he has a lot of downside actually he needs a perfect scenario around him just to be average.. I'm not saying he's not better right now than Trey Lance he is and it's probably gonna go into the season with all three in the same positions they were last year...

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Lance is very inexperienced...and people calling him a 4 year veteran are intellectually dishonest....at best.

Very young QB with a reset.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Fields has that game experience, which Lance really lacks. Lance needs development, but who long will a team wait on him?
Exactly a team has not allowed Lance to go through with some of these rookies have and just throw them out on the field for the entire year without any expectations and let them learn you know like Troy went through Troy looked like straight garbage for a lot of reasons we know his rookie year he got beat up was the offensive line blah blah blah they didn't give up on him.. Nowadays things are being done differently some teams are allowing that I think the irony here is though they started rebuilding the bears to help a young quarterback and then get rid of their young quarterback for another young quarterback I think fields with that team they just assembled and he would probably he'd be pretty successful I'm not saying great but I mean that's giving up on a draft pick real early at quarterback that you didn't even give him time to develop you finally get them weapons and then you get rid of them..