Some quick thoughts/opinions about yesterday's 1st preseason game!

kskboys

Reaction score
Glad football is finally back!

-Was real impressed with Cooper Rush in his only drive. He was quick with his decisions and even hit on a deep shot.
-Trey Lance on the other hand, looked hesitant with his reads and his accuracy was all over the place. He looks more like a rookie QB to me.
-Rico Dowdle in his small sample size looked good. He must see more game action to see if he can be apart of the solution at the position.
-Thought the OL had an up and down day, but many probably won't be on this roster.
-Liked what I saw with Kneeland in his limited snaps, was very active, especially against the run.
-Should we be worried about our pass rush? No pressure all game long and this was against a banged up OL.
-Saw some flashes out of Overshown, Liafaul although they played limited snaps.
-Wasn't too impressed with Carson/Scott, thought both had their struggles from the start.
-Questionable play call on that 4th and goal needing 1 yard, going with a fade.
-Boy, that 50 year old Georgia QB can't throw over the middle!
Stetson is 5-11. Too short to throw over the middle. Physics.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Cowboys don't emphasize winning in the preseason. Their record has been horrible for many years now.
Because it is completely irrelevant.

And all teams don't emphasize winning in the preseason. Because the final score does not matter, not even a little bit. It's a scrimmage.

Creeper

Reaction score
Here’s what we’re doing here.

You acknowledge Williams is gone for the season so his potential is moot. So per your response, that back-up plan is Kneeland, who’s most prodigious output in a season was 4.5 sacks while playing at a directional school. Last year just Armstrong alone had 7.5 sacks as a back-up rotational guy.

Other than Parsons, who can win off the edge? As of now no proven back-up edge rushes or even twitchy potentials. Better hope your DB’s can cover.
Keep an eye on Fehoko. I saw some flashed from him Sunday. Maybe he can generate some kind of pass rush. They can also blitz more if they have to. We have some speedy LBs.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Exactly a team has not allowed Lance to go through with some of these rookies have and just throw them out on the field for the entire year without any expectations and let them learn you know like Troy went through Troy looked like straight garbage for a lot of reasons we know his rookie year he got beat up was the offensive line blah blah blah they didn't give up on him.. Nowadays things are being done differently some teams are allowing that I think the irony here is though they started rebuilding the bears to help a young quarterback and then get rid of their young quarterback for another young quarterback I think fields with that team they just assembled and he would probably he'd be pretty successful I'm not saying great but I mean that's giving up on a draft pick real early at quarterback that you didn't even give him time to develop you finally get them weapons and then you get rid of them..
Forgot who I heard it from, but they said if a QB doesn't take that next step after 3 years being a starter, it time to find his replacement. Now Fields is in that category, but Lance hasn't had that chance due to injuries and opportunity.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don't care if that was Prescott dude Cooper rush the blocks were great he had plenty of time he stood back there and that's what he is everyone thinks it's dudes 501 record with special go back and watch the games that they made his players be special around him that was a better catch than it was a throw he had a long time to throw the ball he had no reason for it to be short that's his arm that's mostly all he has he puts air under a football more than he throws it with velocity and therefore this happens a lot.. And yes I get it he looks better than Trey Lance and he should he's had a lot more time on the field especially in real games the point with Trey Lance is he's still 23 years old never really had a lot of time on the field he's been hurt he's been third string he's not getting a lot of snaps I think that his upside his mobility is what's gonna keep him here as emergency third he may not beat out Cooper rush this year but the more he gets this type of experience the better he's gonna get Cooper rush this is it this is who he is that's all I'm saying he has no upside he has a lot of downside actually he needs a perfect scenario around him just to be average.. I'm not saying he's not better right now than Trey Lance he is and it's probably gonna go into the season with all three in the same positions they were last year...
Lance should be given every preseason rep to see if he gets better with more experience, but right now he is more of a developmental player then one who can contribute.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Minus our starters, and without Dorrance, Fowler, and Williams, where’s our pass rush coming from this year? Keep an eye on that.
You're prejudging before you seen anyone and literally there's guys like gholston, fehoko ,along with the two dudes they just brought in in Toney and Mohammed , and the fact is they're gonna create actual game plans and create pass rush in real games that's not vanilla... I really do believe you're overselling Dorrance Armstrong and Fowler because they also when they were brought in people thought the same thing about them..

When you play real defense you're going to do a lot of stunts and twists and you're going to change where guys are coming from and you will create sacks using guys that are not prolific you do realize we need to see these guys in real games because that's when zimmer's gonna have his game plans and when he's bringing in his packages he will create sacks not just from the pass rushers but safeties corners and linebackers that is his defense they're not just coming from the outside..

I find it ironic that a lot of the same things were said about the depth in pass rush now all of a sudden these dudes you're listing or big losses no I have a feeling washington's gonna realize they make a big mistake making those dudes starters you're taking dudes who are absolutely backups that should be backups and making them starters again... At least we have two frontline starters they have two of our backups as starters so how's their depth you wanna name all the guys that are gonna create all these sacks for Washington behind those two dudes?

Stop worrying about superstars and names and let the defensive coordinator get it worked out that's what preseason is about but you're not seeing real defense in preseason you're seeing raw basic moves with no game plans...

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- Overshown instincts and nose the ball still sticks out immediately. - pleaze stay healthy, guy !
- Kneeland was showing up vs run i dunno what we have as a 4th DE
- i just did not see a pass rush with the backups of backups - maybe be a HUGE minus difference without the Fowler, Williams
to help out with depth and nickel rush packages.
- Eric Scott struggled for much of the first half of the game be4 his INT. maybe he's better in zones than man ?
- i'd like to review Mazi again. Ditto with Justin Rogers
- i don't think we get much from Chauncy at edge DE.
- the safety play were standouts -especially Bell- INTs ruled from the Cowboys defense- one was called off per penalty. and Bell could've
had another at goal line off his hands.
i was interested in how Bell will develop at safety - 9 tackles and one INT is a great start !
- Still have yet to see from Fehoko. Wil he even make the team thsi year ?
Some good points!

-Overshown/Bell look like the real deal and should be core players moving forward.
-Kneeland is going to be strong against the run, but he is going to need time developing as a pass rusher. Excellent bull rusher, but nothing else in his toolbox.
-Biggest concern to me on defense is lack of pass rush over run defense. It's a 1 man party!
-Mazi flashed at times, but struggled with consistency
-I agree, not see Fehoko making this team, looked very slow and unathletic.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Lance should be given every preseason rep to see if he gets better with more experience, but right now he is more of a developmental player then one who can contribute.
No, I think you need to put in rush for at least two series in this next game, he needs to get his timing down ,because he's not getting many reps either,

but yes Trey Lance should play 3 Qtrs in this next game but in the last game Cooper rush is going to need a few more snaps he needs to play an entire first half and then you give Trey Lance the second-half...

You do realize if Trey Lance had the opportunity to actually play with the starters you know with game plans and an entire season knowing he's not gonna get benched that's what you're talking about needing three seasons he probably would look a little better with all the starters around him with actual game plans but that's how you get to really experience now this is good in preseason but this still isn't a good indicator because he doesn't have the starting line they're not game planning the run game I mean they abandoned the run game after the first quarter last Sunday I mean he literally weren't creating offense the same way you would normally would so you're not really seeing what he could be unless he's with the starters.. I mean that's my opinion but I get what you're saying give him as much a chance as you can but you're still not seeing what he can really look like until he's forced into the role...

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- I'd like to review the Rams game the 2nd time around ...
- Cooper Rush while physically more limited, has feel for pass game and vertical accuracy that the more physically gifted Lance lacks.
- Lance is just not accuracy when he has to push the ball down field- constantly overthrows, and too wide errand passes.
- Lance makes his receivers have to work harder than they should. contouring, reaching back, and he's quick to bail and run upfield
once he's confused about his progression reads and cannot find his " open " targets.
- Some say Lance missed and could not find his targets
- i don't recall hearing from Hunter Lupeke vs Rams.
- Excellent deep ball tracking from WR Jalen brooks ...
- i think Cropper would've stood out far more if not for Lance's struggles in pass game
- Cropper could be a nice backup to Turpin
- Did inexperience OG Asim Richards whiff on a few assignments ? Expect him back at LT with Chuma out.
- per Stephen, Ford, Cropper i saw too many short passes & rookie Fournoy had his struggles
Rush in his only possession looked sharp, where Lance just was all over the place. Heard he has struggled finishing drives in camp, he certainly couldn't take advantage of 4 turnovers.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Everyone but Lance had limited snaps so it was hard to get a grasp on how they all played. Broaddus did an excellent job on G-Bag breaking down Lance and his missed throws and reads. I think he played better in the second half but playing with third and 4th stringers it’s hard to judge. Rush missed a touchdown pass because of his weak arm strength. He knows the offense and makes the right reads so I can’t imagine him losing the backup battle.

Guyton looks like the second coming of Tyler but is actually better because he is a true left tackle. Overshown and Bell flashed. The team looks well coached overall. Supposedly Ball played real well at right guard. Looking forward to the Raiders game.
I'm excited about Guyton, wasn't high on him pre-draft due to reported maturity issues, but he certainly looks to have that so called "want to".

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I'm excited about Guyton, wasn't high on him pre-draft due to reported maturity issues, but he certainly looks to have that so called "want to".
I agree with you on Guyton but Voch/Broaduss said you can’t teach his talent. Sweet feet, size, athleticism and long arms cannot be taught. Let’s stop the experiment. Guyton and Bebe need to start for the overall development of the offensive line. Edoga and Hoffman are JAGs.