Some "REAL" Realism

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
And as I have heard most QB's and management say "They get too much credit for the wins and too much blame for the losses"

But there are times that a QB has to break away and make a play.

Either it is calling an audible, sidestepping a blitzer or sometimes just making an incredible pass.

It is not always about execution.

With people like Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer winning Super Bowls, you have teams winning almost in spite of the QBing because of their defenses. And it gives people the false impression that you can just win Super Bowls at will without strong QBing.

In the case of Tom Brady, if you think he is a bus driver, then you really aren't watching his performances analytically. He makes good decisions on the field and he does the little things that the average fan simply does not pick up. It is not like he is Dilfer who only has to guide his team to 10 points because the defense is dominant. The Patriot defense is not exactly stifling all the time. If he was Dilfer, he would have not won three rings. Simple as that.

There is more than one way to win a championship. If Indianapolis could afford a better defense and did a better job of talent evaluation, they would win many Lombardis with Manning. Now nobody is saying a Manning would solve our problems, but "bus drivers" in the pure sense of the word are nothing but pinning hopes on an average player.

There comes a time and place where an average QB gets exposed.

bsheeern

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Too true. However, there is a huge difference between a "Bus Driver" and a difference maker. Tom Brady is a difference maker.

Some QBs do this with their arm (Brett Favre, John Elway), some with their legs (Mike Vick, Steve Young), some with their head (Peyton Manning, Roger Staubach), and some with their coolness under fire (Tom Brady, Joe Montana), or just sheer toughness (Bradshaw, McNair). Just a few examples.

When a guy is a legitimate top 10 QB in the NFL he isn't a "Bus Driver" he's a difference maker. I'm not talking about blown up statistics by WCO and other offenses designed to feed the stat machine.

You take Tom Brady off the Patriots and put him on most teams in the NFL and he starts over the other guy. That isn't a "Bus Driver," that's a difference maker.

Parcells' definition has morphed into something he wasn't talking about at all. Hence why I posted my distaste for the phrase. Misinterpretation run amok.
We'll just have to disagree then. I have played QB, among other positions, my entire life. There is one thing a QB must be able to do and do effective and that is "Drive his Team" or "Drive the Bus". I truly believe that is what Parcells is talking about when he made the statement "Bus Driver". Driving a Bus is not a negative thing. It's just plain and simply what a QB must be able to do. Think about what a Bus driver really does in real life. Everything starts with them!!
No one sitting on that bus starts can turn the wheel or press the gas pedal until after the "Driver" has started the motion.

bsheeern

Reaction score
Every QB that has ever played in the NFL is a Bus Driver. Plain and simple. Some drive fast some drive slow. Some save the tires for the end and some use them up early trying to put distance between their team and the opposition. I myself prefer the Cool, Calm, and Collective QB's as a Aikman or Brady, who master the art of accuracy and leadership, versus a Vick or McNabb who are Jack of all trades but not master's of any

The offense is the Bus and the QB must "Drive", "Steer", "Lead", or "Direct" them down the Street called the Field. That is what Parcells meant by "BUS DRIVER"
It's a term that has been used since the Bus was invented.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Too true. However, there is a huge difference between a "Bus Driver" and a difference maker. Tom Brady is a difference maker.

Some QBs do this with their arm (Brett Favre, John Elway), some with their legs (Mike Vick, Steve Young), some with their head (Peyton Manning, Roger Staubach), and some with their coolness under fire (Tom Brady, Joe Montana), or just sheer toughness (Bradshaw, McNair). Just a few examples.

When a guy is a legitimate top 10 QB in the NFL he isn't a "Bus Driver" he's a difference maker. I'm not talking about blown up statistics by WCO and other offenses designed to feed the stat machine.

You take Tom Brady off the Patriots and put him on most teams in the NFL and he starts over the other guy. That isn't a "Bus Driver," that's a difference maker.

Parcells' definition has morphed into something he wasn't talking about at all. Hence why I posted my distaste for the phrase. Misinterpretation run amok.

I agree with that and when you get down to it the Bus drive analogy is really not the best, QB's do have to make plays just like any other player of the offense. I think what you try to do is not put your QB in a position where you are constantly having to overcome 3rd and long situations. I think with the so called Bus Driver in that situation you’re going to be more conservative and get what you can on 3rd and punt instead of taking the chance of him making a mistake.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bsheeern said:
We'll just have to disagree then. I have played QB, among other positions, my entire life. There is one thing a QB must be able to do and do effective and that is "Drive his Team" or "Drive the Bus". I truly believe that is what Parcells is talking about when he made the statement "Bus Driver". Driving a Bus is not a negative thing. It's just plain and simply what a QB must be able to do. Think about what a Bus driver really does in real life. Everything starts with them!!
No one sitting on that bus starts can turn the wheel or press the gas pedal until after the "Driver" has started the motion.
There's a difference between a Bus Driver and Chaffeur then.

:rolleyes:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree with that and when you get down to it the Bus drive analogy is really not the best, QB's do have to make plays just like any other player of the offense. I think what you try to do is not put your QB in a position where you are constantly having to overcome 3rd and long situations. I think with the so called Bus Driver in that situation you’re going to be more conservative and get what you can on 3rd and punt instead of taking the chance of him making a mistake.
That's why my initial post in this thread was about wanting to spank Parcells for ever bringing it to the picture.

aikemirv

Reaction score
For those who think Brady is the Bus Driver I will throw out a few stats.

Super Bowl 2005 Brady is 11-14 on their three touchdown drives for 121 yds and 2 TDs. Very little running game on any of those drives and he finishes the game 23-33 for 236 yards

Super Bowl 2004 Brady is 32 -48 for 354 yards and 3 TD's with the game winning drive he completes 5-6 for 67 yards.

Super Bowl 2002 - I did not go back and look at the stats, but he is a rookie with a minute to go and HE leads his team on the game winning drive - flawlessly.

You guys are absolutely nuts. Brady is what makes this team go offensively, there are no star receivers, 2 of those Super Bowls were won with Antwoion Smith at TB for heavens sake. What more do you want from a QB? What else does he have to do?!!!!!!!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
aikemirv said:

Super Bowl 2005 Brady is 11-14 on their three touchdown drives for 121 yds and 2 TDs. Very little running game on any of those drives and he finishes the game 23-33 for 236 yards

Super Bowl 2004 Brady is 32 -48 for 354 yards and 3 TD's with the game winning drive he completes 5-6 for 67 yards.

Super Bowl 2002 - I did not go back and look at the stats, but he is a rookie with a minute to go and HE leads his team on the game winning drive - flawlessly.

You guys are absolutely nuts. Brady is what makes this team go offensively, there are no star receivers, 2 of those Super Bowls were won with Antwoion Smith at TB for heavens sake. What more do you want from a QB? What else does he have to do?!!!!!!!

What is funny is that if he ceased to be a Patriot and miraculously became a Cowboy, he would become as good as Drew Bledsoe.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
aikemirv said:

Uh huh.

:hammer:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:
What is funny is that if he ceased to be a Patriot and miraculously became a Cowboy, he would become as good as Drew Bledsoe.
Oh, there is much truth in that buckshot.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
aikemirv said:

I agree and think Brady deserves every bit of the accolades he is getting, the guy is a damn good QB

bsheeern

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree and think Brady deserves every bit of the accolades he is getting, the guy is a damn good QB
I don't want you guys to mix me up with Darkonking, I thing Brady will go down as a Joe Montana, Troy Aikman, Type QB. I'd love to have him on Cowboys. To say that he doesn't "drive the bus" though is crazy. Somebody on that team drives the bus. It's obvious that it's him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
bsheeern said:
I don't want you guys to mix me up with Darkonking, I thing Brady will go down as a Joe Montana, Troy Aikman, Type QB. I'd love to have him on Cowboys. To say that he doesn't "drive the bus" though is crazy. Somebody on that team drives the bus. It's obvious that it's him.

Maybe so but I don't think just any old QB could walk out there and do the same job as Brady does, the guy keeps cool under fire and a big part of the job of the QB is the mental aspect of the game to keep your head when those around you are losing theirs. I give credit for the Pats super bowl to the entire team, from the coaches to the players and management shares in this as well. But in regards to playing the position I think Brady does it as well as anyone who has played the position.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Maybe so but I don't think just any old QB could walk out there and do the same job as Brady does, the guy keeps cool under fire and a big part of the job of the QB is the mental aspect of the game to keep your head when those around you are losing theirs. I give credit for the Pats super bowl to the entire team, from the coaches to the players and management shares in this as well. But in regards to playing the position I think Brady does it as well as anyone who has played the position.
You would be correct to not think that because they couldn't. Brady is a difference maker or Chaffeur. ;)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hostile said:
You would be correct to not think that because they couldn't. Brady is a difference maker or Chaffeur. ;)

Well if people want to call that being a bus drive then so be it but all I know is when Brady drops back he makes the right decisions the vast majority of the time. He seems to be aware of all downs and situations and ends up making the right choice.