Twitter: Some rants to not pay Dak back on 2020

JBS

Reaction score
What does Dallas not paying Dak 30m a year 5 years ago have to do with anything ? Wouldn’t change a darn thing today. Who cares

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Someone on twitter made a good point that NFL GMs are scared to death of losing starting caliber QBs. Hence why you see average to above average QBs getting ridiculous contracts, but in the Cowboys' case, their GM's job will never be in jeopardy.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Why would they resign someone they no longer want?
That's IF they don't want him.

Seriously, why let him play out the last year of a contract? Trade or sign early are the only two smart options here.

As such, I have little faith the FO will move on and instead they'll, once again, overpay.

edit: momentarily forgot about no trade clause. All of these negotiations are starting to blur together.

Last edited:

CowboysRule

Reaction score
That's IF they don't want him.

Seriously, why let him play out the last year of a contract? Trade or sign early are the only two smart options here.

As such, I have little faith the FO will move on and instead they'll, once again, overpay.
You think anyone would trade anything of value for Dak? I'm not even sure our current cap situation would allow us to trade Dak with all the dead money it would create. Also also, Dak would have to agree to the trade. We're stuck with the guy for this last season. The only way I see him back in Dallas is if he wins the Super Bowl. Even then it's iffy.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
You think anyone would trade anything of value for Dak? I'm not even sure our current cap situation would allow us to trade Dak with all the dead money it would create. Also also, Dak would have to agree to the trade. We're stuck with the guy for this last season. The only way I see him back in Dallas is if he wins the Super Bowl. Even then it's iffy.
Yeah I edited my last post. These mishandling of contract negotiations are blurring together.

Dak has a no trade clause, which means he'd have to want to leave to be traded, and that makes the trade value worse.

With a high comp pick likely, it's unlikely that we could get anything better in return this time of year.

Maybe if a playoff team loses an old QB early in the season, his value would increase-- it would have to be a situation akin to when the 9ers lost Garoppolo, but with no Purdy as a backup.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I see the myth that the Jones could have signed Dak for 35 is still alive and kicking. It's crazy how these things take on a life of their own based solely on what one wants to believe, regardless of the facts.

Dak turned down an offer that would have made him the highest paid QB choosing instead to "bet on himself".

He ended up winning that bet while we lost.

Praxit

Reaction score
...well yeah, we dont want stats. We want playoff wins. Its not rocket science.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
We're at a point with QB contracts where it doesn't matter anymore that you're the top player at your position... only that you're up next for contract. It's getting out of hand and the NFL needs to put a stop to this. They need to cap the QB pay like they do with rookies. It's not allowing teams to hold rosters together. Just because a QB plays out his rookie deal doesn't mean he deserves to be the highest paid NFL player. It's getting ridiculous.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I see the myth that the Jones could have signed Dak for 35 is still alive and kicking. It's crazy how these things take on a life of their own based solely on what one wants to believe, regardless of the facts.

Dak turned down an offer that would have made him the highest paid QB choosing instead to "bet on himself".

He ended up winning that bet while we lost.
Weirdly enough breaking his leg 4 games in won him the bet on himself.

Oh well. Jerry got burned. Lesson learned. That’s why Dak has no extension now. Fool me once….