Twitter: Some rants to not pay Dak back on 2020

glimmerman

Reaction score
JJ had a hand shake deal and JJ was happy waiting to announce it and after fins game Daks agent went back on the deal. Or so we heard. We played around with fins in the first half of that game and it was close, second half they flipped the switch against a lesser team and dominated them.. They got their heads swollen. I think that put some bad blood between the 2 sides. Dak said he was very involved in the dealings back then. If he was and let his agent go back on a hand shake deal then I really don’t have a lot of respect for his business side.

I know it’s a business and the owners can and have stiffed the players also. But JJ is old school and some of us here are also. Crawfish me on a hand shake deal and we will NEVER do business again. And I will tell everyone I know not to do business with you. But football don’t work like that. lol. I don’t like Daks agent at all. And neither does this FO.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I see the myth that the Jones could have signed Dak for 35 is still alive and kicking. It's crazy how these things take on a life of their own based solely on what one wants to believe, regardless of the facts
It's not a myth.....they could have. Yes, they offered him the largest contract in team history and yes he turned it down. But what you are missing is it was offered a year too late. Notice the date below of March 2020. Dak had just completed his fourth year and was about to become a free agent but he was eligible for a contract after his 3rd year or following the 2018 season. Stephen Jones did what he does best, waited until the last min and Dak and Todd had him by the balls. He had no choice but to pay Dak what he wanted or tag him. Dak later admitted HE WOULD HAVE SIGNED A $30-35M offer made to him before his 4th year or with a year left on his rookie deal. It would have made him the highest-paid QB in the league going into his 4th year.

I remember Stephen saying at the time the Cowboys won't reset the market. (sounds familiar with Jerry's waiting for more leaves to fall LOL). So he waited and it cost him an extra $5-10M and controversial no-tag/no-trade clauses in Dak's current deal.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...k-prescott-richest-contract-in-league-history

Cowboys reportedly offer Dak Prescott richest contract in league history​

Published March 8, 2020 06:07 AM

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Someone on twitter made a good point that NFL GMs are scared to death of losing starting caliber QBs. Hence why you see average to above average QBs getting ridiculous contracts, but in the Cowboys' case, their GM's job will never be in jeopardy.
yeah so are we that's why you see people constantly say "who are you going to replace him with???" Uhh duh another QB sheesh

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
It's not a myth.....they could have. Yes, they offered him the largest contract in team history and yes he turned it down. But what you are missing is it was offered a year too late. Notice the date below of March 2020. Dak had just completed his fourth year and was about to become a free agent but he was eligible for a contract after his 3rd year or following the 2018 season. Stephen Jones did what he does best, waited until the last min and Dak and Todd had him by the balls. He had no choice but to pay Dak what he wanted or tag him. Dak later admitted HE WOULD HAVE SIGNED A $30-35M offer made to him before his 4th year or with a year left on his rookie deal. It would have made him the highest-paid QB in the league going into his 4th year.

I remember Stephen saying at the time the Cowboys won't reset the market. (sounds familiar with Jerry's waiting for more leaves to fall LOL). So he waited and it cost him an extra $5-10M and controversial no-tag/no-trade clauses in Dak's current deal.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...k-prescott-richest-contract-in-league-history

why do they even say in history any more???? Give it a few weeks/months/year someone will then have the next in history lol

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

:hammer:

Jerry and Stephen are to blame. They arecommitting the exact same costly mistake today. Never learned from 4 years ago.

visionary

Reaction score
It is pretty simple

Dak has been a starter for 8 years, not a rookie
Dak has shown that he is a great regular season QB but consistently craps the bed under pressure in the playoffs
That equation is not worth 55+ million/y

If Dak at least leads the team to the NFCCG this year, he will get offered the deal he wants, otherwise not

Yes, some other team may offer more and he may leave but that is a chance Cowboys are willing to take rather than continue to be the laughing stock of the NFL playoffs every year

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score

This just isn't true. Dak was offered a deal worth 33/year with 90 guaranteed as soon as NFL rules allowed the Cowboys to do so. Dak is full of crap if he is saying he would have signed for between 30-35. He had two chances to do so and turned them both down.

Putting the blame entirely on The Jones for not getting a deal done sooner is and always has been a myth. Very fair, top of the league offers were made as soon as rules allowed and negotiations failed.

Dak is on record multiple times stating he doesn't get involved in contract talks and lets the businessmen work that out but now we're supposed to believe would have signed for something over 30 when it is on record that he turned down two offers over 30?

To be clear, I'm not arguing whether or not Dak should or should not have signed an earlier offer. I'm just saying it's an absolute myth that the Jones just sat on their hands making no effort to get a deal done when in fact they began trying as soon as the rules allowed and that offers comparable to the biggest contracts in the league were offered.

Verdict

Reaction score
We're at a point with QB contracts where it doesn't matter anymore that you're the top player at your position... only that you're up next for contract. It's getting out of hand and the NFL needs to put a stop to this. They need to cap the QB pay like they do with rookies. It's not allowing teams to hold rosters together. Just because a QB plays out his rookie deal doesn't mean he deserves to be the highest paid NFL player. It's getting ridiculous.
Actually the NFL doesn’t need to do anything. No one is holding a gun to each organization’s head.

At some point organizations will learn from prior mistakes and stop paying record setting deals for mediocre production at QB.

Lawrence may or may not be better than Dak, but at least he is young enough that you could talk yourself into believing he still hasn’t played his best football. Dak is probably what he is.

I think Dak is a good QB. But he is not worth what any team will end up paying him in terms of the cap hit that he will command. There are several QBs that are far superior to Dak.

Let Dak’s franchise crushing cap hit crush another team. The Cowboys need to move on from Dak based on what Dak will want to be paid.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
What does Dallas not paying Dak 30m a year 5 years ago have to do with anything ? Wouldn’t change a darn thing today. Who cares
It was stupid to allow him to reach free agency and have to franchise him. Once you franchise a QB (see Cousins), you are screwed unless you let them walk the next year. I feel this time is much worse because when Dallas gave Dak the no tag and no trade clauses in his contract to save a few bucks, they were destined to sign him to an early extension or watch him become a free agent and basically screw themselves. Even if one hates Dak and wants a new QB, Jerry now has to pay Dak top market value or let him walk for nothing but a third round compensatory draft pick. That would become the worst misuse of player value in the history of the Cowboys.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'd like to know why they don't mention the fact that Dak agreed to a deal and then renegged.

Flamma

Reaction score
What does Dallas not paying Dak 30m a year 5 years ago have to do with anything ? Wouldn’t change a darn thing today. Who cares
I disagree. I think it would have changed a lot. I remember after his 3rd season the number going around was 28M. He played out his 4th year, then a FT year. Now it's 40M. Had he got a 4 year deal after his 3rd year, by 2021 when he was up for an extension, there wouldn't have been a ridiculous amount of money owed to the cap. Like we see now. It's just something to think about. It definitely would have changed the future.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Stupidity of GM Jethro repeats itself and then Cowboy fans get mad at Dak.

JBS

Reaction score
Stupidity of GM Jethro repeats itself and then Cowboy fans get mad at Dak.
You think if Jerry signed Dak at 45-50M per year extension the people in here would be happy? You think it would make a darn difference whether this team gets over the hump or not ? It’s means absolutely nothing.