Some Thoughts about Lamb, Free Agency and Cutdown Day

Cowboyny

Reaction score
-Lamb earned that huge extension, clearly is a legitimate #1 receiver now and among the top at his position in the entire league.
-You don't resign your top receiver to almost top of the market, without keeping your franchise QB.
-Even if Dak resigns, doesn't mean they cannot trade him in the future. We have seen Goff, Wentz, Wilson all dealt after signing their extensions.
-Don't discount the addition to Dalvin Cook if he signs. He looked good 2 years ago in Minnesota and came to the Jets out of shape rehabbing a shoulder injury.
-As I wrote in another post, Dan Quinn handpicked several defensive players that failed to make any sort of impact.
-I fully expect the team to either trade for or make a claim for a backup tackle, depth is awfully thin.
-Worried about the health of the linebacker room, many players banged up.
-Very interested to see how Carson fills in for Bland. Wonder who is the next outside corner behind the starters?
-Duece needs to be on this roster. MM has to be creative with both he and Turpin as they are nightmare matchups in space.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I honestly think it's now up to Dak. He is determined to maximize his value knowing this could be his last shot at a top-level contract.
His agent wants no part of signing before next year's fa. Does Dak want to remain a Cowboys or make the most money? Won't matter if the Cowboys do what they always do and cave to the agents demands. I can see Dak returning even if he hits fa next offseason.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think Osa, Joseph, Phillips, Mazi and probably Rogers make the team. I don't think they will carry more than 5DTs, especially if they keep Golston who they swing inside on passing downs. At this point it all hinges on Mazi IMO.

I think Rogers can give them 10 plays a game without embarrassing himself. The question is how many plays can Joseph give them. I do think if opposing offenses go on long time consuming drives the Cowboys defense is going to wear down.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think Osa, Joseph, Phillips, Mazi and probably Rogers make the team. I don't think they will carry more than 5DTs, especially if they keep Golston who they swing inside on passing downs. At this point it all hinges on Mazi IMO.

I think Rogers can give them 10 plays a game without embarrassing himself. The question is how many plays can Joseph give them. I do think if opposing offenses go on long time consuming drives the Cowboys defense is going to wear down.
I agree Golston could be on the outside looking in. Nothing has changes, success this season will hinge on the trenches: can they get better running and stopping the run? I am encouraged with the OL new additions and our new DC, but do they have the horses to get it done? Think we are 1 good draft away!

fivetwos

Reaction score
-Lamb earned that huge extension, clearly is a legitimate #1 receiver now and among the top at his position in the entire league.
-You don't resign your top receiver to almost top of the market, without keeping your franchise QB.
-Even if Dak resigns, doesn't mean they cannot trade him in the future. We have seen Goff, Wentz, Wilson all dealt after signing their extensions.
-Don't discount the addition to Dalvin Cook if he signs. He looked good 2 years ago in Minnesota and came to the Jets out of shape rehabbing a shoulder injury.
-As I wrote in another post, Dan Quinn handpicked several defensive players that failed to make any sort of impact.
-I fully expect the team to either trade for or make a claim for a backup tackle, depth is awfully thin.
-Very interested to see how Carson fills in for Bland. Wonder who is the next outside corner behind the starters?
-Duece needs to be on this roster. MM has to be creative with both he and Turpin as they are nightmare matchups in space.
Agree, except for….

I expect that Prescott will get another full NTC. There’s no way he allowing them to just send him wherever.

Cook would be an ok addition if Elliott wasn’t here. Some aren’t going to agree, but I’m just not buying the supposed limited role for him. Who is getting cut to sign him? I’d rather bank on the upside of Luepke or Vaughn than sign Cook.

Finally, it clearly takes more than long arms to become a solid NFL defender. They will spend the next few years bringing in Zimmers type of player then change schemes again. No general organizational philosophy, scheme-wise, is a problem. How many times are they going to run a certain scheme with the wrong personnel, attempt to fix it on the fly, then bail soon thereafter?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
The Vikings made Justin Jefferson the highest paid WR in NFL history in the same offseason they declined to re-sign their franchise QB

The Seahawks gave DK Metcalf a huge extension immediately after trading Russell Wilson

The Texans traded away Deshaun Watson right before extending Brandin Cook

The Raiders gave Davante Adams huge money a year before they kicked their own franchise QB out of the building

The two positions in recent history have not necessarily been connected at the hip

TwentyOne

Reaction score
This is exactly the way you build your offense if you want to change the greatest failure of our life at qb to a rookie.

We invested heavily in the OL. This year will be a learning year for them. We use Prescott to be the QB during that learning time. Nobody cares if he suffers because of that.

If everything works as planned next year we will have a very good OL. If you want to start a fresh drafted QB this is the first thing you want to have: a very good OL that is able to help him settle down. Buy him time with good protection and support him with strong run blocking.

Now he also has a good starting #1 wr. We are also ok at TE. We just need a good RB.

As i said: everything points towards the end of prescotts great monetary career with us.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry about it. Dak will get his extension. He wants to stay and the Cowboys want him. The team does not sign free agents because they give money to their own. The hold up is Dak’s agent is a hard donkey and NFLPA wants to continue to see quarterback salaries grow. This is not on Dak’s hands any longer.

The Cowboys are just kicking the tires on Cooks. They will see how Zeke, Dowdle, and Deuce will do before making any moves at the running back position.

Dan Quinn was excellent in Dallas but like with Jacksonville and Atlanta his defensive scheme got figured out. With the bad cornerbacks they have on Washington watch how his defense get lit up this season.

The offensive line depth is as good as any team in the league. Asim Richards has been revelation during the preseason. Will be a true 6th man along the offensive line. I am concerned about Guyton’s missed time. Something seems to always be nagging him.
Carson will get plenty of targets in the first few weeks. Cooper, Olave, and Nabers will be coming for him.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This is exactly the way you build your offense if you want to change the greatest failure of our life at qb to a rookie.

We invested heavily in the OL. This year will be a learning year for them. We use Prescott to be the QB during that learning time. Nobody cares if he suffers because of that.

If everything works as planned next year we will have a very good OL. If you want to start a fresh drafted QB this is the first thing you want to have: a very good OL that is able to help him settle down. Buy him time with good protection and support him with strong run blocking.

Now he also has a good starting #1 wr. We are also ok at TE. We just need a good RB.

As i said: everything points towards the end of prescotts great monetary career with us.
It is very hard to hit on a quality qb even with a top 5 pick, cowboys will be no where near that. You build around Dak until you find a better option

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The Vikings made Justin Jefferson the highest paid WR in NFL history in the same offseason they declined to re-sign their franchise QB

The Seahawks gave DK Metcalf a huge extension immediately after trading Russell Wilson

The Raiders gave Davante Adams huge money a year before they kicked their own franchise QB out of the building

The two positions in recent history have not necessarily been connected at the hip
All those franchises use free agency, Cowboys put all their eggs in the draft. Unless they get a top 5 pick very difficult to land a legitimate young qb.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Agree, except for….

I expect that Prescott will get another full NTC. There’s no way he allowing them to just send him wherever.

Cook would be an ok addition if Elliott wasn’t here. Some aren’t going to agree, but I’m just not buying the supposed limited role for him. Who is getting cut to sign him? I’d rather bank on the upside of Luepke or Vaughn than sign Cook.

Finally, it clearly takes more than long arms to become a solid NFL defender. They will spend the next few years bringing in Zimmers type of player then change schemes again. No general organizational philosophy, scheme-wise, is a problem. How many times are they going to run a certain scheme with the wrong personnel, attempt to fix it on the fly, then bail soon thereafter?
Let’s see if they give him that no trade clause again. Also, he could always waive it if he wanted to leave

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Backup offensive tackle? I think Richards showed that he's up to the task. Now, right tackle depth is a concern.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Good observation. Even if you move on from your quarterback, the new guy still needs the help a receiver like Lamb can provide. You don't flush both your No. 1 receiver and No. 1 QB unless you are just bent on rebuilding.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I honestly think it's now up to Dak. He is determined to maximize his value knowing this could be his last shot at a top-level contract.
Every damn player in the damn NFL wants to maximize their value for contract negotiations. Dak’s not the only one. Why folks want to make it like it is, bizarre.

Flamma

Reaction score
Goff and Wentz are different. I think they both signed after their 3rd rookie season. That contract is by miles better to take on than Dak's would be.

Wilson is a different story. He had 2 years left on his contract from Seattle. Denver gave him a huge bonus and extension before he took a single snap. Teams can be really stupid. So I don't doubt some team would take on Dak's contract no matter what it is.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Goff and Wentz are different. I think they both signed after their 3rd rookie season. That contract is by miles better to take on than Dak's would be.

Wilson is a different story. He had 2 years left on his contract from Seattle. Denver gave him a huge bonus and extension before he took a single snap. Teams can be really stupid. So I don't doubt some team would take on Dak's contract no matter what it is.
Hurts also signed immediately after his 3rd season, for the lowest amount of any QB that offseason. In his draft class, all 5 got paid now and he said he was okay with being the lowest if meant spreading the space to AJ et al

Dak could sign today for 56 and be the highest paid player ever. Report is he wants a deal that starts with a 6 and through natural progression next offseason it’ll be more

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Every damn player in the damn NFL wants to maximize their value for contract negotiations. Dak’s not the only one. Why folks want to make it like it is, bizarre.
The real funny thing is that every poster here is the same way with their salary, investments, and gambling, if they do it, but want players to somehow be generous to teams whose job it is to watch the cap. Then they get mad at the players for what the owners offer the players as salary. Like any of them would invest in a stock that goes up and say, "No, no, only give me part of the proceeds and reinvest what I leave you to insure the company's survival." It's hypocrisy and hilarity at the same time.