Some Thoughts about Lamb, Free Agency and Cutdown Day

Flamma

Reaction score
The real funny thing is that every poster here is the same way with their salary, investments, and gambling, if they do it, but want players to somehow be generous to teams whose job it is to watch the cap. Then they get mad at the players for what the owners offer the players as salary. Like any of them would invest in a stock that goes up and say, "No, no, only give me part of the proceeds and reinvest what I leave you to insure the company's survival." It's hypocrisy and hilarity at the same time.
There is one inescapable variable that is often ignored in these comparisons to the average person. Like when a player says, would you take a pay cut? Ask me again when I'm making 20 million a year, not 50k.

Most regular people maximize their profits for survival. When you're already sitting on 100 million dollars it's basically pride or greed. Mostly pride.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
There is one inescapable variable that is often ignored in these comparisons to the average person. Like when a player says, would you take a pay cut? Ask me again when I'm making 20 million a year, not 50k.

Most regular people maximize their profits for survival. When you're already sitting on 100 million dollars it's basically pride or greed. Mostly pride.
It's neither. It's simply what another person wants to do with their money. As for me, I maximize for more than just my survival. It's for generations after me, for play, and any other spontaneous things I want to do. If I have more than enough for my survival until death, is it greed or pride if I continually try to get more? What if I want to establish a worldwide taco empire and stack even more money? No one's going to point in my backyard and tell me I can't and I'm pretty sure no one wants that done to them either. What makes a person want to do that to someone who has much, much more than they do? Quite obvious.

Flamma

Reaction score
It's neither. It's simply what another person wants to do with their money. As for me, I maximize for more than just my survival. It's for generations after me, for play, and any other spontaneous things I want to do. If I have more than enough for my survival until death, is it greed or pride if I continually try to get more? What if I want to establish a worldwide taco empire and stack even more money? No one's going to point in my backyard and tell me I can't and I'm pretty sure no one wants that done to them either. What makes a person want to do that to someone who has much, much more than they do? Quite obvious.
You have more options on the table when you have generational wealth. But let me give an alternative to greed and pride. I actually believe this to be the case in 90-95% of negotiations. The player isn't deciding anything. They leave it entirely up to the Agent. It's not like the Agent is going back and forth from player to owner. The agent is getting the best deal for his client. A lot of these players have never seen that kind of money. The agent is there to make sure they don't get taken advantage of.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Goff and Wentz are different. I think they both signed after their 3rd rookie season. That contract is by miles better to take on than Dak's would be.

Wilson is a different story. He had 2 years left on his contract from Seattle. Denver gave him a huge bonus and extension before he took a single snap. Teams can be really stupid. So I don't doubt some team would take on Dak's contract no matter what it is.
Their options this offseason were to either trade him during the draft, resign him or let him walk after his contract expires where they would net a 3rd rd comp. As it stands right now, best thing to do is resign him and see how it goes. If they decide they want to move on at some point, every QB contract is tradable, even if they have to navigate a no trade clause. Allowing him to walk would be the worse case scenario, won't have the draft capital to draft a top QB. Best thing to do is resign Dak and surround better talent around him.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Backup offensive tackle? I think Richards showed that he's up to the task. Now, right tackle depth is a concern.
Think you have it right, but can they trust Wally as the backup RT if Steele went down? Richards has only played on the left side since he was drafted.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Hurts also signed immediately after his 3rd season, for the lowest amount of any QB that offseason. In his draft class, all 5 got paid now and he said he was okay with being the lowest if meant spreading the space to AJ et al

Dak could sign today for 56 and be the highest paid player ever. Report is he wants a deal that starts with a 6 and through natural progression next offseason it’ll be more
Hurts makes over 50 million per season, it's not like to took less to resign.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Their options this offseason were to either trade him during the draft, resign him or let him walk after his contract expires where they would net a 3rd rd comp. As it stands right now, best thing to do is resign him and see how it goes. If they decide they want to move on at some point, every QB contract is tradable, even if they have to navigate a no trade clause. Allowing him to walk would be the worse case scenario, won't have the draft capital to draft a top QB. Best thing to do is resign Dak and surround better talent around him.
Agreed, but any success will be dependent on top of the line drafts.

Then again, it was already like that in Dallas.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
For Jerry and Stephen to know at least a couple of years ago this was coming and last year to see it was a strong possibility but walked right into this situation without a plan B.......is the most bizarre thing I have seen from them.

This should have been settled way before the draft.......trade or extend him. If you know you are not doing either, then you should draft his replacement this year IMO.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You have more options on the table when you have generational wealth. But let me give an alternative to greed and pride. I actually believe this to be the case in 90-95% of negotiations. The player isn't deciding anything. They leave it entirely up to the Agent. It's not like the Agent is going back and forth from player to owner. The agent is getting the best deal for his client. A lot of these players have never seen that kind of money. The agent is there to make sure they don't get taken advantage of.
Then I guess I'm not understanding what your point is. First you say there's greed and/or pride coming from the player when we talk about these contracts and now you're saying the players have no part in these contracts and don't even talk to their agents. Is your issue with the players or agents? I'm saying people's issue should be with the owners whose job it is to watch the cap and are the ones offering these big contracts. Yet fans get mad at the players side for asking/wanting just like they would for salary, investments, gambling, etc. So who's wearing the black Spidey suit in your view?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Hurts makes over 50 million per season, it's not like to took less to resign.
It’s also not like Dak and Jerry are 10m$ a year apart. They’re likely squabbling over 3-4m$ a year. The difference in what Jalen took vs what Burrow got later that summer is a big enough divide for a franchise QB to stand firm in Dak’s case

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
The real funny thing is that every poster here is the same way with their salary, investments, and gambling, if they do it, but want players to somehow be generous to teams whose job it is to watch the cap. Then they get mad at the players for what the owners offer the players as salary. Like any of them would invest in a stock that goes up and say, "No, no, only give me part of the proceeds and reinvest what I leave you to insure the company's survival." It's hypocrisy and hilarity at the same time.
Agreed. The outcry over salaries on this forum is hilarious. It's not our money and basically every human being on earth tries to maximize (and monetize) his value. I have absolutely no problem with Dak or any other player trying to make the most out of it.

All that should matter for us is who's on the team and who's not.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Think you have it right, but can they trust Wally as the backup RT if Steele went down? Richards has only played on the left side since he was drafted.
Don't know. I thought he would be cut because he was shaky in the preseason. Better than last year when they switched him to the right side, but still hit and miss.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It’s also not like Dak and Jerry are 10m$ a year apart. They’re likely squabbling over 3-4m$ a year. The difference in what Jalen took vs what Burrow got later that summer is a big enough divide for a franchise QB to stand firm in Dak’s case
He is going to get a market level contract here or somewhere else.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
For Jerry and Stephen to know at least a couple of years ago this was coming and last year to see it was a strong possibility but walked right into this situation without a plan B.......is the most bizarre thing I have seen from them.

This should have been settled way before the draft.......trade or extend him. If you know you are not doing either, then you should draft his replacement this year IMO.
His agent is known to get his clients top dollars even if they have to play somewhere else. Who knows if they are even entertaining offers, makes no sense not to test the market. If he signs before next yr, it is cause Dak wants to truly stay here. Jerry seems confident he will get something done and doesn't appeared worried about him testing the market cause of the brand and what Dak can make off the filed here.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Agreed, but any success will be dependent on top of the line drafts.

Then again, it was already like that in Dallas.
Can you see them giving up multiple drafts to trade up for an unproven QB prospect? Will they risk becoming another bottom team always looking for that next franchise QB?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Can you see them giving up multiple drafts to trade up for an unproven QB prospect? Will they risk becoming another bottom team always looking for that next franchise QB?
I meant if Dak is signed, along with Parsons…it’ll be a top heavy roster, so success will depend largely on draftees being able to contribute nearly immediately.

But it would probably be like that anyway. They don’t sign free agents no matter the circumstance.

My fault for not being more clear, and I do agree with what you think is the best approach.

Flamma

Reaction score
Then I guess I'm not understanding what your point is. First you say there's greed and/or pride coming from the player when we talk about these contracts and now you're saying the players have no part in these contracts and don't even talk to their agents. Is your issue with the players or agents? I'm saying people's issue should be with the owners whose job it is to watch the cap and are the ones offering these big contracts. Yet fans get mad at the players side for asking/wanting just like they would for salary, investments, gambling, etc. So who's wearing the black Spidey suit in your view?
I root for what's better for the team. I was simply referring to a player that was asked to take a pay cut, and his response. I'm saying your decision can be different, and you have a lot more options if you're already sitting on a lot of money. 20 million a year man shouldn't be asking 30k a year man if he'd take a pay cut. It makes him look stupid. Back in 2019 I came into some money, my wife retired, and I took a significant pay cut. Now all I do is watch you tube all night. Couldn't do it without that money.

I don't expect the players to care about the cap. But they should at least acknowledge that they have a direct impact on the cap, and not take things so personal.

visionary

Reaction score
“The real funny thing” is when people make idiotic uninformed decisions about others as you are

MarcusRock

Reaction score
“The real funny thing” is when people make idiotic uninformed decisions about others as you are
And you don't mean when people accuse players of being greedy or prideful like that post responded to, oh angry one? Speaking of hypocrisy and inconsistency .....

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I meant if Dak is signed, along with Parsons…it’ll be a top heavy roster, so success will depend largely on draftees being able to contribute nearly immediately.

But it would probably be like that anyway. They don’t sign free agents no matter the circumstance.

My fault for not being more clear, and I do agree with what you think is the best approach.
Until things change, that is the way they team build. Draft, develop and keep their own free agents. Only see fa for minimum type players to fill in the gaps. Unless someone they hire, convinces them otherwise, they will stay the course. This tells me, Dak will be resigned and they will try to build around him. They will continue to throw darts at later round prospects like they did with Dak and Romo in hopes of finding his future replacement.