Somehow its different this year

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s because the cowboys as a franchise are in a different position in totality then they have been in a long time, they’ve been knocking on the door for 3 straight years and we all were hoping the franchise would say “ok, we are good but we aren’t good enough we need to close the gap” with the elite teams.

Instead, we are being told we have no cap space and need to take our medicine despite having a team that’s still pretty damn good.
CT, I’m not sure winning one wild card game in 3 years could be called “knocking at the door”. More like standing at the mailbox. IMO- Knocking on the door would be at least making it to a conference championship game.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The sooner people accept that they are house-cleaning (low key rebuild) the sooner everyone will be happier. They are not all in for winning next year. They are all in on cleaning up the high priced contracts of older players that don't perform come playoff time. The big red flag is that they aren't even bothering with their OWN FA's now. No more bad contracts for awhile is probably a good thing.
Hey I would fine with a “house cleaning” rebuild. I would even be ok with an intentional tank job to rebuild. BUT- That’s NOT what these guys are doing. They actually believe they are going to field a contender THEIR WAY.

JJ and SJ do not know how to tear down and rebuild. They’ve never done it without either Jimmy or Parcells. They do not know how to do it.

So IMO this isn’t a give up by the Jones boys. This is them believing in “their plan”. The same one we’ve seen for decades.

stiletto

Reaction score
Hey I would fine with a “house cleaning” rebuild. I would even be ok with an intentional tank job to rebuild. BUT- That’s NOT what these guys are doing. They actually believe they are going to field a contender THEIR WAY.

JJ and SJ do not know how to tear down and rebuild. They’ve never done it without either Jimmy or Parcells. They do not know how to do it.

So IMO this isn’t a give up by the Jones boys. This is them believing in “their plan”. The same one we’ve seen for decades.
I don't know Bob, it feels different to me because they are just letting all "their guys" leave in FA. That's not a normal "Jones" activity. They usually overpay to keep their "precious" former draft picks. Letting them go and not overpaying them to stay is new to me.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The playoff debacle humbled a lot of fans and caused many to lose all hope. However, some of the chest pounders will be back once training camp starts with their usual bold predictions. It’s their way of getting reactions.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

And usually when you tear down and rebuild, you have the head coach as your partner. LOL

Finish it out Lameduck Mile, just don’t expect us to sign anyone or re-sign anyone just in case you fail. :thumbup:

Those weird dynamics that only happen in Big D.

Big_D

Reaction score
I don't know Bob, it feels different to me because they are just letting all "their guys" leave in FA. That's not a normal "Jones" activity. They usually overpay to keep their "precious" former draft picks. Letting them go and not overpaying them to stay is new to me.
They've reached a desperate state. That belt is extremely tight or every one of those players would've been back. A 4 million dollar RB was too expensive yesterday. There's a serious problem here. It's certainly not some shift in philosophy.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
CT, I’m not sure winning one wild card game in 3 years could be called “knocking at the door”. More like standing at the mailbox. IMO- Knocking on the door would be at least making it to a conference championship game.
Sure, if you’re measuring off the recency bias. I’m looking at the last 3 years, 2 of those losses were to the class of the nfc of late, The franchise is knocking on the door to having the success they haven’t had in a very long, in many ways they are already having it by being a perennial playoff team. The team is absolutely knocking on the door of being very good to elite.

being a consistent playoff team matters, you guys can continuously poo poo that and down play it but it does matter but you can’t rest on your laurels and be satisfied with it, which it unfortunately appears they are. The team however with the right decision making is capable and right there to make the next leap which is exactly what I meant by “knocking on the door”.

The other side of the door is breaking through and making a Championship game but it takes some aggressive decisions. Literally 3 months ago you thought they were a Super Bowl team.

stiletto

Reaction score
They've reached a desperate state. That belt is extremely tight or every one of those players would've been back. A 4 million dollar RB was too expensive yesterday. There's a serious problem here. It's certainly not some shift in philosophy.
They could flip switches and create $20 million without even doing anything with Dak. They just don't want to. They don't want to sign anyone or do anything until after 2024 when they can get a clean slate. They don't care about next season, that's obvious. I know it appears they are desperate but I don't think they are. They are just planning something else that the fans are going to have a hard time with if they came out and said it.

Big_D

Reaction score
They could flip switches and create $20 million without even doing anything with Dak. They just don't want to. They don't want to sign anyone or do anything until after 2024 when they can get a clean slate. They don't care about next season, that's obvious. I know it appears they are desperate but I don't think they are. They are just planning something else that the fans are going to have a hard time with if they came out and said it.
Whatever that plan is they will have to come clean. Fans will be irate either way. You still need money and about 31 players to reach the 90 for camp so just a very weird situation and even if they are trying to clean that slate, how much confidence can anyone have that they get it right the next time. The whole situation really looks inept at this point.

Last edited:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Standing at the mailbox lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

kskboys

Reaction score
somehow its different this year. Every year people around here get their hopes up and are very disappointed when all of the big names get signed and Dallas sits on their hands. Panic reigns supreme.
then the cooler heads sort of make fun of and poke fun at said posters and say just wait just wait the names will start coming here. Calm down everyone !!

i dont hear that this year. I think right now there is a lot of disappointment after the ALL In talk.

Our fanbase has been let down and are just fed up and disillusioned.

i know I am. Im fed up . You?
Yup.

stiletto

Reaction score
Whatever that plan is they will have to come clean. Fans will be irate either way. You still need money and about 31 players to reach the 90 for camp so just a very weird situation and even if the are trying to clean that slate, how much confidence can anyone have that they get it right the next time. The whole situation really looks inept at this point.
Oh I agree.. I'm not saying what they are doing is smart or will work out. It's all hypothetical really and to get into their (the Joneses) logic is probably similar to curing cancer.

Flamma

Reaction score

This is exactly right. This is what people are having a hard time with. If this team is to improve, it will be through drafted players, and any diamond in the rough they might find.

I think the all in comments by Jerry got people riled up.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
We have not created significant cap space yet to sign anyone.
You dont have to make the CAP space prior to the announcement of the signing, a quick procedure to restructure a contract. But we wont do it yet, we never do....unless you're one of these fans who actually believed Jerry and the ALL-IN comment.