Someone (DALE) please explain

50cent

Reaction score
As an undersized NT, why isn't Glover a perfect fit as a 3-4 DE! He has the size to hold the point of attack against tackles.

blindzebra

Reaction score
3-4 DEs ideally are around 6-5 295. You need the weight to hold the point of attack and the reach to hold off the blockers.

At 6-2 282 Glover has neither the junk in his trunk or the reach to hold up at DE, or NT for extended periods, for that matter.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
3-4 DEs ideally are around 6-5 295. You need the weight to hold the point of attack and the reach to hold off the blockers.

At 6-2 282 Glover has neither the junk in his trunk or the reach to hold up at DE, or NT for extended periods, for that matter.

He plays tackle in the 4-3. The ideal tackle in a 4-3 is 310 or so.

Glover has in the past and will in the furture thrive in the 3-4.

Reaction score
At that size, stunts will be more effective means of Dlineplay vs having him "occupy & engage"

He has a quickness advantage, not size.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
TAYLOR: I don't think so. He's 285 pounds, which is OK, although you'd like the guys to be 295-300. And his arms aren't as long as you would like, which means he would have trouble getting those tackles off of him. At 285 pounds, he's still going to be outweighed by 25-30 pounds by most tackles. That's a lot. You know what they say about a good big man beating up on a good little man. The big man is going to win every time.

From JJT a professional's opinion.........;-)

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
In the 4-3, Glover plays the "3," rather than the "1," and rarely sees a double team. He's matched against guards who are usually smaller and have a hard time matching Glover's speed and quickness. That's why he thrives.

In the 3-4, the DE's are really tackles playing the "5" where they face tackles and see more double teams.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Lest we all forget, Glover was a monster in New Orleans, where they ran the 3-4.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Why do we keep hearing for the past several years that the "ideal" DL or LB is always larger than what the Cowboys have at the position?

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Don't forget his strenght, I believe he won the strongest man competition at the Pro-Bowl last Winter. Everyone speaks of his quickness, the man is incredibily strong for his size.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
Lest we all forget, Glover was a monster in New Orleans, where they ran the 3-4.

When Glover was in NO they ran a 4-3 and still do at this point. The last time NO ran a 3-4 was under Mora when they had guys named swilling; mills etc

kartr

Reaction score
lurkercowboy said:
Why do we keep hearing for the past several years that the "ideal" DL or LB is always larger than what the Cowboys have at the position?

Because for the last few years including the J.Johnson era, we've placed an emphasis on smaller but faster defensive players. During Jimmy's era, we were called the fastest defense in the NFL.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Spears and others better stup up quick because our defensive linemen are woefully inadequate for the 3-4. I think some of our undersized linebackers could make it if we had better defensive linemen for the 3-4. Sorry for the doom and gloom, but I can't shake this feeling of dread that teams are going to run all over us this year. Who cares about our new ability to pressure the QB, they're just going to hand off the ball and dare us to stop them.

kartr

Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Speed and quickness can make up for lack of size.

Exactly. When I was in high school, I was the best pass rusher in my PE class at 5'8" 130lb. The combination of speed, quickness and unbridled determination plus natural football instincts made me nearly unblockable.Don't laugh at the high school PE reference. My high school won 3 state championships in the 4 years I was there and I played against some of those guys and more than held my own.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:
Glover has in the past and will in the furture thrive in the 3-4.

I would be interested in seeing anything that would support this.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
TheSkaven said:

Where does this stuff come from I wonder?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Kangaroo said:
When Glover was in NO they ran a 4-3 and still do at this point. The last time NO ran a 3-4 was under Mora when they had guys named swilling; mills etc

I can not tell you how much I appriciate you pointing this out. I have tried to voice the same thing many times but it seems nobody is interested in listening. I hope you have much better success.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Speed and quickness can make up for lack of size.

I agree, but not in a 34 so much. I think you can have success for a very limited time but if Glover has to play NT for a sustained period, I think were in big trouble.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I agree, but not in a 34 so much. I think you can have success for a very limited time but if Glover has to play NT for a sustained period, I think were in big trouble.

And I agree with you..........as TB mentioned.....stopping the run scares me to death. ;)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
And I agree with you..........as TB mentioned.....stopping the run scares me to death. ;)

Thats why your wise beyond your years and Cbz, we all know about them years.

:laugh2: