Someone told me Cowboys didnt need to play the 4-3, wrong move, now what do you say?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean the Giants who 2 superbowls recently, run a 4-3. I believe the only other teams to win 2 or more SB's in the 2000 era are the Pats and Steelers. I believe the Pats early SB's in the 2000 era, they to have ran a 4-3.

Enough proof for me.

The Pats ran a 3-4. So did the Steelers. The Ravens. Now the 49ers. Basically most of the great defenses of the last 20 years have been in the superior 3-4 scheme.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
This makes sense now. It occurs to me what the problem is.

You see, when I posted the original comment about sounding like me, I meant that in passing as a joke. Then when I followed up with the comment that undoubtedly offended you, it was again referencing the same joke .

If we were having a conversation, you would have gotten my intent. But without the subtle facial cues, you took it as a slam.

Not what I meant at all.

Noted. Perhaps you can use a smiley or something so we'll all know when you're joking. NP.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The Ravens are a hybrid. Only a couple of teams run mostly a two gap 3-4. There are 14 teams running some version of the 3-4 including true hybrids.

So if its so superior why don't the vast majority of teams use a variation of the 3-4?

jrumann59

Reaction score
A lot of it is personnel, and a year of possible being ill equipped. But the league will be about 50/50 which was not the case in the 90's and early 2000's only a handful of teams ran the 3-4. It has become en vogue the last 8 years or so.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
The problem with our 34 was the NT was not a real NT. Having a big guy pushing the pocket us different then an undersize DE trying to play NT. We are better in this scheme, we gave up a ton of yards but we had a goal line stand inches from the enzone and for the most post limited their tds. 1 td was a gimmie, 1 was not a catch. So 17 was giving up. I can take giving up yards and not many points. Bend but not break

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I remember last year, that I had mentioned Cowboys would be better off playing the 4-3, but several guys told me, I was wrong. Cowboys needed to stay in the 3-4 defense, now what do you say?

if we had lost the game, would you be asking that question?