Songs that should have been bigger hits when they were released

nobody

Reaction score
What songs can you think of that are great songs but for one reason or another didn't sell?

I offer three:

Buddy Holly's "True Love Ways" which was released after his death and charted in the UK but never charted in the US. Just a beautiful song. Maybe his best IMO.

Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World". It was the best selling single in the UK in '68 but never broke the Billboard top 100 in the US. We hear it all the time in various places. A legitimately great song.

And here's a song that I think is terrific, and again its a song we hear all the time...

The Rolling Stones "She's a Rainbow". Only reached the 10th position in the Billboard top 100.

I listen to Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" all the time. It's one of my favorites.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I could probably spend five years in this thread alone. The Fonz, you have a new fan. The Bee Gees were under appreciated with the exception of the unfortunate Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. I don't know what hit #1 but most of it didn't, so I'll submit these.

love them indeed they are underappreciated that one s from 1987 E.S.P album.

Love E.S.P

check this song too from early 90's

Last edited:

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Thin Lizzy "The Boys are Back in Town". One of my favorite bands of all time and this is one of their best songs. I never thought they got the respect they deserved from the American rock audience.

Their whole library of work is pretty good, even the stuff when they were a 3-piece{before the twin guitars} was very good. Go listen to the Vagabonds of the Western World album which is every bit as good as anything on Jailbreak if not better in some ways. They should have been much bigger.

timb2

Reaction score
Almost any song when a radio station does a retro 80s fan request.....Basically any song that the radio stations did not play when back in the 1980's.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just my opinion but Dan Fogelberg was the finest songwriter of our time and this song exemplifies that.

And further proof

Had the pleasure to see him live and we took a close friend of ours that wasn't that familiar with his music, he bought every album of his next day. He performed close to a 3 hour concert and never took a break. While his band took one every 45 minutes, he would play acoustically with his guitar or the piano.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Elvis most personal single release...recorded in March of '72...the same week Elvis and Priscilla seperated...Seperate Ways/Always On My Mind.
•Seperate Ways charted in the top 20...arguably his most personal recording...his voice incredible...his phrasing briliant....should have charted much higher.He was never more personal,open or real than here...finding solace in the music...soul laid open.
•Always On My Mind...the b-side...got air time on country radio but should've given Elvis a top 10 1-2 punch ala Hound Dog/Dont Be Cruel.
Again....Elvis' vocals are warm,rich,a window into his musical soul...and once he found footing....he didnt want to let it go.Beautiful recording...like Seperate Ways...a true gem.
These 2 stand alone among Elvis' greatest recordings.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder what happened to them. They were great and then they just kinda went away.

They got rich and could afford to. Plus, disco died. They did put out albums after their peak of popularity, but they didn't sell like the disco era albums. That's really how it works with most bands that seem to fade away.

I'm with Runny on the B-Gees. I like the pre Saturday Night Fever stuff better, although over the years I have largely gotten over my "I hate disco" mentality. Still not a preferred genre for me, but I admit to tapping my toes when I hear Staying Alive.