Sooo...Det offered Dallas Roy Williams straight up for D. Ware

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
GoinForSix;2307748 said:
We have 12 draft picks next year. Including their 4th. How could giving away a 1st (very late) and their 4th be our entire 'draft'?

The two firsts (plus more) rumor was what I was responding to.

khiladi

Reaction score
This whole trade for Roy issue is becoming like the off-season... One can't wait until the new season actually begins...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For clarification, Florio talks about the segment.

OFFERS COMING FOR ROY WILLIAMS OF LIONS?
Posted by Mike Florio on October 5, 2008, 12:38 p.m.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that teams are expected to begin making offers to the Lions for receiver Roy Williams.

The trade deadline is October 14.

Per Schefter, the Lions are posturing this thing to get not only one or more picks, but also someone who can help the team now. The other possibility is for the Lions to slap the franchise tag on Williams after the season, and then trade him.

The fact that Martin Mayhew and Tom Lewand would like to preserve their newfound capacities with the team (and also remain employed) likely is driving the desire to get help now.

The other factor is the cap room saved by moving Williams versus the cap room needed to absorb one or more new players. As we understand it, the Lions don’t have much room to maneuver under the current cap.

Schefter also reports that the offers Williams for Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Ware prior to the season, and that the Lions asked for two first-round picks when other teams inquired.

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2307879 said:
For clarification, Florio talks about the segment.

OFFERS COMING FOR ROY WILLIAMS OF LIONS?
Posted by Mike Florio on October 5, 2008, 12:38 p.m.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that teams are expected to begin making offers to the Lions for receiver Roy Williams.

The trade deadline is October 14.

Per Schefter, the Lions are posturing this thing to get not only one or more picks, but also someone who can help the team now. The other possibility is for the Lions to slap the franchise tag on Williams after the season, and then trade him....
That's what people seem to overlook. Waiting to sign him until after the season will still cost picks.

jem88

Reaction score
I honestly can't think of anyone I'd trade Ware for.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;2307887 said:
That's what people seem to overlook. Waiting to sign him until after the season will still cost picks.
No one has overlooked it. Pay attention.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;2307887 said:

Who has overlooked this? It's been brought up in every discussion about him on this board.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;2307897 said:
So what would be the benefit of waiting until after the season?

1: They are Lions. If it can be ***** up, they'll find the way to do it.

2: Chances are no one will give them 2 first rounders, so they'll have to drop their asking price after the season

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;2307897 said:
So what would be the benefit of waiting until after the season?
For who? The Lions or the team trading for him?

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;2307903 said:
1: They are Lions. If it can be ***** up, they'll find the way to do it.

2: Chances are no one will give them 2 first rounders, so they'll have to drop their asking price after the season
The price might drop. Or there might be more teams competing to get him and the price could rise.

Hostile;2307904 said:
For who? The Lions or the team trading for him?
For the Cowboys if they want him. If they want him, it seems to me like it would be better trading for him now.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;2307907 said:
The price might drop. Or there might be more teams competing to get him and the price could rise.

For the Cowboys if they want him. If they want him, it seems to me like it would be better trading for him now.

No one is going to fork over two first rounders for Roy Williams. There's maybe 5 players in the league worth that.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;2307907 said:
I expect the Cowboys to add him before the trade deadline. I have said repeatedly that I am 70/30 sure he is on the radar to be added. If the Lions lose today it is going to go up to 80/20, and i expect them to lose.

Detroit can Franchise him, but it handicaps them horribly if they do. Their best bet is to move him now and that is best for the player and the Cowboys too.

Oh, and no one else will try and trade for him. He only wants to come to Dallas. No long term deal means highly unlikely anyone else makes an offer.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Hostile;2307912 said:
I expect the Cowboys to add him before the trade deadline. I have said repeatedly that I am 70/30 sure he is on the radar to be added. If the Lions lose today it is going to go up to 80/20, and i expect them to lose.

Detroit can Franchise him, but it handicaps them horribly if they do. Their best bet is to move him now and that is best for the player and the Cowboys too.

Oh, and no one else will try and trade for him. He only wants to come to Dallas. No long term deal means highly unlikely anyone else makes an offer.

when is the facination with RW going to end? we're not gonna trade for him, Jerry learned his lesson long ago about trading 1st rounders for WR's. the only way he will ever become a Cowboy is if indeed he hits the FA Market, and even then the price will be astronaumical. its not gonna happen.:starspin

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
CowboyChris;2307919 said:
when is the facination with RW going to end? we're not gonna trade for him, Jerry learned his lesson long ago about trading 1st rounders for WR's. the only way he will ever become a Cowboy is if indeed he hits the FA Market, and even then the price will be astronaumical. its not gonna happen.:starspin

It's really hard for me to take someone with Julius Jones still under their name seriously

jem88

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;2307928 said:
It's really hard for me to take someone with Julius Jones still under their name seriously
In all fairness, the pic under your name positively screams '2003!'

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2307706 said:
during the 2008 draft at least according to Schefter. Call me slow, but I didn't know.

Now they want two firsts or some other package of picks.
:laugh2: he's good but he's not that good.