Source says Packers contact Vikings about trade for Favre

Reaction score
CHILDRESS DENIES FAVRE TRADE TALKS
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 4, 2008, 2:17 p.m. EDT
Vikings coach Brad Childress is disputing a report that the Packers recently opened trade talks with the Vikings concerning the possibility of shipping Brett Favre to Minnesota.

Asked about a Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel article saying the Packers called the Vikings on Friday informing them that Favre was available, Childress said the article is simply false.

“Bob [Hagan, the Vikings director of public relations] showed me that article last night,” Childress said. “I was in a personnel meeting with Rick [Spielman] and George Paton until 11 o’clock with the coaches. I have a pretty good idea how that [article] went down but you can shape the environment however you want one way or the other. We haven’t had any contact with them.”

Childress then took a shot at the Journal-Sentinel reporter, Bob McGinn, who had previously reported that records from a team-issued cell phone could be the key evidence in the Packers’ tampering case against the Vikings.

“My comment would be, I think that’s the same journalist that wrote that there was a cell phone involved that the Packers gave [Favre],” Childress said.