Space: The Final Frontier

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Do I believe there is life that exists other than on the Earth? Absolutely!

Actually, not only do I believe there is other life out there, I believe their is an extremely high possibility there is other life right here within our own solar system. Saturn has a moon called Enceladus that has a liquid ocean on it that is covered by ice. Even though the top is ice, it is liquid underneath and it's believed that Enceladus' ocean is over six miles deep!

The Earth's oceans averages 2.3 miles deep, but deepest part of the ocean is the Challenger Deep trench. It's 32,600 feet deep which converts to 6.85 miles deep!

Life requires water and that is what Enceladus' six mile deep ocean is made of!

1534_50_Enceladus_768.jpg
Not positive, but i think a few years ago NASA was saying it wanted to send something there to drill through the ice and test samples of the water. I'm guessing they haven't done that yet.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not positive, but i think a few years ago NASA was saying it wanted to send something there to drill through the ice and test samples of the water. I'm guessing they haven't done that yet.
Just satellite images, so far.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Yuri Milner (Russian billionaire) wants to setup a mission to Enceladus and NASA agreed to help him.

Here is a picture of the jet water plumes shooting up from Enceladus' south pole. The tidal forces that Saturn applies on Enceladus via it's gravity is what keeps the planet's core warm enough for a huge liquid ocean under the ice crust. When those tidal forces cause cracks in the ice. These plumes shoot up into Enceladus' atmosphere (and space for that matter)

This image was taken by the Cassini space probe that used to circle Saturn. Read the notes at the bottom of the picture. Water, complex organic molecules, salts, and methane. Sounds like a breeding ground for life!!!

Enceladus-plumes-Cassini-Nov-24-2018-800x495.jpg

The geysers of Enceladus: huge plumes of water vapor erupt through cracks in the icy surface at the south pole. Cassini analyzed them and found they contain water vapor, ice particles, complex organic molecules, salts and methane. Image via NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute.

aria

Reaction score
Yuri Milner (Russian billionaire) wants to setup a mission to Enceladus and NASA agreed to help him.

Here is a picture of the jet water plumes shooting up from Enceladus' south pole. The tidal forces that Saturn applies on Enceladus via it's gravity is what keeps the planet's core warm enough for a huge liquid ocean under the ice crust. When those tidal forces cause cracks in the ice. These plumes shoot up into Enceladus' atmosphere (and space for that matter)

This image was taken by the Cassini space probe that used to circle Saturn. Read the notes at the bottom of the picture. Water, complex organic molecules, salts, and methane. Sounds like a breeding ground for life!!!

Enceladus-plumes-Cassini-Nov-24-2018-800x495.jpg

The geysers of Enceladus: huge plumes of water vapor erupt through cracks in the icy surface at the south pole. Cassini analyzed them and found they contain water vapor, ice particles, complex organic molecules, salts and methane. Image via NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute.
I have a feeling you’re wicked smaht. No need to blush, deny or reply...it’s obvious and I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us :)