News: Spagnola: Don't Forget These Dak Bottom Lines

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Wonder if Mickey took into account state taxes?
Do you think Dak is accounting for state taxes when comparing his offer to what Wentz, Goff, and Wilson are making? It works in Dak's favor so don't expect him to take less than those others just because of state taxes evening things out.

Kwyn

Reaction score

glimmerman

Reaction score

lkelly

Reaction score
I’m not sure I understand the part about creepy crawlers. Maybe he was talking about agents.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Spagnola has an interesting writing method of talking down/insulting the reader while also sounding like an idiot. Its a truly unique writing style. I'm not sure how he got his job. If he was just a random internet poster he would be poorly regarded. As a team reporter? Sheesh.

conner01

Reaction score
His math is kinda silly unless you think Wilson gets cut before his contract expires
Lots of contracts have fluff to look good but Wilson’s is really not like that and that’s why teams don’t like contracts like Wilson’s
4 year contract for a young QB is just spread over 4 years and while the team can get out for less, they aren’t going to
The same with dak’s contract. He wants pretty much what Wilson got in terms of time and probably money
But both keep high yearly costs and don’t allow you to spread the money as much and both while technically not guaranteed, in reality neither would be getting cut in 4 years

Brax

Reaction score

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
good article by Mickey for once.

Most of his articles are decent. Sometimes he can be a bit off in his style. But it is just the "in" thing to do on here to hate on him, as many hate on everything no matter what it is, or who it is. :laugh:

But as someone posted above, at times he has a way to talk down to the reader like he is scolding a kid.

:popcorn:

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I, for one, will be so happy when this all ends.

Please make it happen Dak and Stephen.

big dog---totally me2..i am so sick of it.....i hate these long drawn out contractual debates....i think Dak is being very greedy....i bet if his mom was still alive she would be getting in his face

Verdict

Reaction score
every now and then Mic makes a little sense

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-don-t-forget-these-dak-bottom-lines

it's rather obvious, but the history of Cowboy QB deals is kinda wild, why would this one be different?

as for the money - Dak will sign for less than $25M - 30M a year guaranteed

probably front loaded with a bonus and pay escalating as they expect cap space to

Micks logic is flawed. He took the remaining year of Wentz’ rookie deal and amortized it over the life of the contract. The real details are the extension itsself.

Dak has no more remaining years on a rookie deal. His starting spot for this year is the FT amount. That’s the floor. I think you can also add in the FT next year into that calculation as well.

It would have been better to extend Dak last year. But Dak chose not to. Hard to be too critical of the Cowboys.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonder if Mickey took into account state taxes?
Depends on whether they buy property or not but of all the NFL teams in no state income tax, Dallas is the highest in property taxes and these players are taxed according to where thy play all of the games. They have to file a state income tax in every state they played in that has one. Players in the AFC West were happy the Raiders moved from CA to NV.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bottom line, it's all about the guarantee, the published amount is agent BS. Few of these contracts ever see full fruition at the face value. Most of these deals are for about 3 years, regardless of the term posted. Cousins deal is unique and the owners don't like it but I wish every contract was like that and the cap was a real hard cap and not getting played with by these people. I think the tags suck as well. either sign them or release them, manage the cap.

GMO415

Reaction score
Bottom line, it's all about the guarantee, the published amount is agent BS. Few of these contracts ever see full fruition at the face value. Most of these deals are for about 3 years, regardless of the term posted. Cousins deal is unique and the owners don't like it but I wish every contract was like that and the cap was a real hard cap and not getting played with by these people. I think the tags suck as well. either sign them or release them, manage the cap.
Guarantee $90 and let's settle this.