Spags: Romo suffered “non-displaced” fracture of the little finger

Hailmary

Reaction score
What's that thing TO uses? A hyperbaric chamber? Would that help him heal faster? Maybe they can fashion one just for his hand, like the one in Zoolander? :laugh2:

Eskimo

Reaction score
jobberone;2336466 said:
It's distal Eskimo. So not a boxer's fracture. Either pulled the MCL with concomitant fracture or a guillotine fracture just proximal to the end of the metacarpal would be my best guess. They won't worry if there is a little translation of the head of the 5th MC although sounds very minor with absolutely no displacement. Not a hand surgeon either.

I think we can deduce a few things.

Firstly, not an intra-articular fracture of the head because those required immediate surgery.

Secondly, not a base of the metacarpal fracture because those also require surgery.

Thus we are left with the metacarpal neck (boxer's fracture) of metacarpal shaft. Since it is undisplaced and no angulation, we know non-operative managaement is most appropriate here and recovery should be complete. In summary, Romo should be just fine in the long run.

The exact nature of the fracture and associated soft tissue injury impossible to speculate on without direct examination/MRI.

I've just treated a number of the boxer's in emergency and they hurt like a son of a gun and those guys know there is something wrong with their hand right away. Whereas, for some of the metacarpal shaft fractures I've seen, they can go undetected for awhile even though they do hurt. That's why I think Romo has the shaft fracture.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Eskimo;2336635 said:
I think we can deduce a few things.

Firstly, not an intra-articular fracture because those required immediate surgery.

Secondly, not a base of the metacarpal fracture because those also require surgery.

Thus we are left with the metacarpal neck (boxer's fracture) of metacarpal shaft. Since it is undisplaced and no angulation, we know non-operative managaement is most appropriate here and recovery should be complete. In summary, Romo should be just fine in the long run.

The exact nature of the fracture and associated soft tissue injury impossible to speculate on without direct examination/MRI.

I've just treated a number of the boxer's in emergency and they hurt like a son of a gun and those guys know there is something wrong with their hand right away. Whereas, for some of the metacarpal shaft fractures I've seen, they can go undetected for awhile even though they do hurt. That's why I think Romo has the shaft fracture.

It's definitely not intra-articular. And it's hard to tear the bone off with a MCL tear but you would get a "non-displaced" fracture. Most likely a linear non-displaced transverse guillotine fx distal to a mid-shaft fracture and proximal to the head of the MC. That'd be my guess. And those hurt immediately.

A boxer's fracture is something that would require a pin and unlikely to be non-displaced.

The hand surgeon said it was a more distal fracture than a mid-shaft one of which there are about five types...don't quote me as that's memory....including a Boxer's.

Eskimo

Reaction score
jobberone;2336718 said:
It's definitely not intra-articular. And it's hard to tear the bone off with a MCL tear but you would get a "non-displaced" fracture. Most likely a linear non-displaced transverse guillotine fx distal to a mid-shaft fracture and proximal to the head of the MC. That'd be my guess. And those hurt immediately.

A boxer's fracture is something that would require a pin and unlikely to be non-displaced.

The hand surgeon said it was a more distal fracture than a mid-shaft one of which there are about five types...don't quote me as that's memory....including a Boxer's.

I think you're likely correct although I know we treat many boxer's fractures non-surgically up here although there is a residual deformity - I don't know if a QB would require a more precise anatomical reduction at that joint. I think the big issue would be ability to squeeze the football with enough strength as fine motor shouldn't be much of an issue with such an injury.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
does this mean he cant just " rub a lil dirt on it boy " ?

if so he better be glad he didnt play at my old high school.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Great info people, from what I'm reading, it looks like almost a certainty he'll be 100% for Washington in 5 weeks. But here's the million dollar question..........

Just how likely is it Romo plays in 3 weeks at NYG:

1) Likely
2) 50/50
3) Doubtful
4) No Chance

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
poke;2336771 said:
does this mean he cant just " rub a lil dirt on it boy " ?

if so he better be glad he didnt play at my old high school.

It's essentially a broken hand, which is something that would be hard for a QB to "rub a lil dirt in" and be effective.:)

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
he won't likely be playing with a 5th metacarpal fracture, which is the bone that - simply put - connects what is considered the "wrist" to the pinky finger itself.

if it were the pinky as originally reported they'd just tape it to the adjacent finger and it would heal itself quick.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Eskimo;2336755 said:
I think you're likely correct although I know we treat many boxer's fractures non-surgically up here although there is a residual deformity - I don't know if a QB would require a more precise anatomical reduction at that joint. I think the big issue would be ability to squeeze the football with enough strength as fine motor shouldn't be much of an issue with such an injury.

I understand. They're not going to waste a minute with his hand so they'd put a pin in or a plate in a skinny minute.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
sonnyboy;2336782 said:
Great info people, from what I'm reading, it looks like almost a certainty he'll be 100% for Washington in 5 weeks. But here's the million dollar question..........

Just how likely is it Romo plays in 3 weeks at NYG:

1) Likely
2) 50/50
3) Doubtful
4) No Chance

Rampage;2336273 said:
I have a feeling he will return for the giant game.
that's my opinion

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
This is VERY close to what Romo's hand X-Ray would look like.

I've taken a few in my life.

:p:

fracture-1-800x600.jpg

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Hailmary;2336611 said:
What's that thing TO uses? A hyperbaric chamber? Would that help him heal faster? Maybe they can fashion one just for his hand, like the one in Zoolander? :laugh2:

I wish someone would answer this if they know. I had the exact same thought. Would this be of any help???

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
that pic is about right - fracture is of back of your hand - pinkie didget

Eskimo

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;2336838 said:
This is VERY close to what Romo's hand X-Ray would look like.

I've taken a few in my life.

:p:

fracture-1-800x600.jpg

This fracture looks a bit angulated to me - worse than Romo's probably is.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
ESPN was inferring that Romo is soft for not playing through this.

Talking about how many times Brett probably would have played through this injury. Talking about the one time where Bledsoe played through a similar injury.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2337091 said:
ESPN was inferring that Romo is soft for not playing through this.

Talking about how many times Brett probably would have played through this injury. Talking about the one time where Bledsoe played through a similar injury.

They don't know what they are talking about, IMO. A QB cannot play with this injury to his throwing hand.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Eskimo;2337095 said:
They don't know what they are talking about, IMO. A QB cannot play with this injury to his throwing hand.

Dilfer actually mentioned that because of Romo's throwing motion, it's virtually impossible. He mentioned if his motion was more over the top, it may be possible, but because he snaps his throws from the side, it just puts too much torque on his pinky.

...or something like that.

MONT17

Reaction score
If it happen on the first play of the of the last drive how did he manage to finish the drive? Sounds like Jerry is doing some belichek trickery!

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
dang.

In the prediction thread before the first game I predicted Romo would be out 3-4 weeks with an injury.

I wish I'd been wrong.