Speaking of Cowboys/Packers (1995 replay)

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
that was great fun!!!!!

that game is under-rated, IMO. I've always loved it.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
It's hard to believe we only had 35 sacks that year cuz our DL was dominating the Packers OL in the 4th quarter and was getting after Favre constantly.

Really makes you appreciate the Letts and the Tolberts.

Our current DL is pretty solid, but compared to that DL they look pretty average. Lett > Ratliff and Lett wasn't even our best DL. Ratliff is our current best DL. Amazing.

rcaldw

Reaction score
I wish they would replay the 1993 win over the Niners at home. Talk about a dominant 1st half! We killed the Niners that day

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
tony tolbert is one of our most underrated defensive ends ever.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2271874 said:
It seems that the 1995 Cowboys were saddled with some very poor play at the linebacker position.

Maybe someone with slightly more knowledge than I have can either confirm or refute my suspicion.

Dixon Edwards was a solid starter. Darrin Smith was an excellent player in 93 & 94, but held out in 95 and when he finally reported he was overweight and never the same player again. Robert Jones was an average (at best) starter at MLB

I had actually forgot that Haley didnt play that day.

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
rcaldw;2271941 said:
I wish they would replay the 1993 win over the Niners at home. Talk about a dominant 1st half! We killed the Niners that day

that one is far underplayed as well!

I agree.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Ultra Warrior;2271863 said:
Once again, WHAT are you basing this moronic statement on? Packers 2-0 & Jets 1-1? If so, you obviously know NOTHING about football. Rodgers wins 2 games & now all of the sudden he's better than a future Hall Of Famer? :lmao:

I love the she-men who think they have everything figured out.

NOW is the key word here. As I've used in my previous post's. Rodgers is better NOW than Farve is NOW. Not in yester-year or whatever fantasy world you reside in but as of "TODAY" "AS OF NOW" " IN HIS GOLDEN YEARS OF PLAYING THE GAME OF FOOTBALL". Aaron Rodgers is the better QB, IMO, and according to the win/loss ratio you so proudly boast, is proof of that.

Did..........I .........Type .........Too........Fast ........for.......you.........?

Feel free to call yourself a DORK. The rest of us are............................................................

Seven

Reaction score
MrKennedyKennedy;2271851 said:
Matt Millen used to be a sideline reporter?!

So did Brian Belick(sp?)...................... For the 49ers. He was actually a bordreline GO-FER.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Seven;2271988 said:
Aaron Rodgers is the better QB, IMO, and according to the win/loss ratio you so proudly boast, is proof of that.

Win/Loss doesn't prove a dang thing. I agree that Rodgers is the better QB now then Favre is, but the W/L hasn't got a dang thing to do with it.

QB's don't play the games by themselves.

Seven

Reaction score
Rack;2272006 said:
Win/Loss doesn't prove a dang thing. I agree that Rodgers is the better QB now then Favre is, but the W/L hasn't got a dang thing to do with it.

QB's don't play the games by themselves.

True enough. He used it, I didn't. I called him on it.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Just got back from the game...thirteen years ago;):D It was good, you guys should've been there.

David276

Benched
Reaction score
that was the first time i saw that game and was old enough to know what was going on. Emmitt was a beasttttttt

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
After rewatching that game again, you can see a huge difference from how physical that team was (mainly defensively) compared to today's team. That defense was a lot nastier and more intense than our defense today. Hopefully our current D will reach that level of intensity and physicality someday.

There's also a big difference in general in how physical the game is compared to back then. DB's were allowed to play football back then. I liked it better that way cuz it separated the men from the boys. If you had good players on offense, you could move the ball and score. Nowadays average players are putting up big numbers thanks to all these rules changes that seriously hinder defenses.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Rack;2272065 said:
After rewatching that game again, you can see a huge difference from how physical that team was (mainly defensively) compared to today's team. That defense was a lot nastier and more intense than our defense today. Hopefully our current D will reach that level of intensity and physicality someday.

There's also a big difference in general in how physical the game is compared to back then. DB's were allowed to play football back then. I liked it better that way cuz it separated the men from the boys. If you had good players on offense, you could move the ball and score. Nowadays average players are putting up big numbers thanks to all these rules changes that seriously hinder defenses.
I remember that day, the crowd went nuts when Irvin caught a ball off of Craig Newsome's helmet after the Packer defender had interfered with him anyway.

Larry Brown really saved Dallas' bacon in the playoffs that year, picked off Favre to seal their fate then took home MVP honors to keep the Steeler comeback at bay two weeks later.

The greatest moment in that game was Leon Lett picking off a screen pass, classic!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Aikbach;2272068 said:
I remember that day, the crowd went nuts when Irvin caught a ball off of Craig Newsome's helmet after the Packer defender had interfered with him anyway.

Larry Brown really saved Dallas' bacon in the playoffs that year, picked off Favre to seal their fate then took home MVP honors to keep the Steeler comeback at bay two weeks later.

The greatest moment in that game was Leon Lett picking off a screen pass, classic!

Pretty sure it was Doug Evans (#33).

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack;2271935 said:
It's hard to believe we only had 35 sacks that year cuz our DL was dominating the Packers OL in the 4th quarter and was getting after Favre constantly.

Really makes you appreciate the Letts and the Tolberts.

Our current DL is pretty solid, but compared to that DL they look pretty average. Lett > Ratliff and Lett wasn't even our best DL. Ratliff is our current best DL. Amazing.

Yep - no doubt - at the risk of getting ripped apart - I think our current DL is a bit overrated by us fans. It's good, but it's not as good as some think.

goshan

Reaction score
You can't compare the DL in a fair way because we played a 4-3 then. The DL is going to look a lot different.
As you guys know, in a 3-4 the DL is alot about gap control and occupying space so the LBs can make the plays.
That isn't the case in a 4-3.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Sarge;2272100 said:
Yep - no doubt - at the risk of getting ripped apart - I think our current DL is a bit overrated by us fans. It's good, but it's not as good as some think.

It's definitely not that good. Not bad, just not exceptional either. None of the players on it are great players.

And Rack is so right about DBs being allowed to play. It's no coincidence Manning and Brady set all the records in just the last few years.

I also saw Aikman get blasted by a blitzing safety or corner from his blind side a couple ticks after he threw the ball... And no call. That would've been at least a 15 yard penalty today. And maybe a $15,000 fine. :cool:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
goshan;2272105 said:
You can't compare the DL in a fair way because we played a 4-3 then. The DL is going to look a lot different.
As you guys know, in a 3-4 the DL is alot about gap control and occupying space so the LBs can make the plays.
That isn't the case in a 4-3.
:hammer:

Don Corleone

Reaction score
My observations:

1) Mike Holmgrem looks 100 lbs lighter than today. What the heck are they feeding him up in Seattle?

2) Joe Avezzano was quite the hot temper on the sideline. His schtick got old, but it was kinda funny back then.

3) Ed Hochuli wasn't as trigger happy with the wistle back then. I counted at least 3 plays where he blew it late.

4) Irvin was a beast, and flat out owned DBs.

5) Aikman throws the tightest spiral I've ever seen.

6) Emmitt Smith is money up the middle. He wasn't fast, but his burst across the line of scrimmage is amazing.

7) Eric Williams probably had a hit on him after this game. The low block on Jon Jurkovic, then clubbing Reggie White over the head repeatedly.

8) Reggie White ("the Minister of Defense") was none to happy at the end of this game. He was about the beat the crap out of a camerman that was just doing his job. His words and actions were not very Christian in my opinion. Take defeat like a man.

9) Who were half the buffoons in suits on our sidelines? They all look like movie stars and comedians. I think Switzer may have allowed reps from each player's posse on the sideline. The sideline looked like a joke.

10) Deion - a small part of me always wanted an opposing player to beat the crap out of him. Sadly, it never happened.

EDIT:

11) One more thing: Today's NFL is a joke. Do you think any teams that won recent super bowls can match up against those 2 teams you saw take the field in this game? Bring on the Patriots of this decade. They can't hold a candle to any of the powerhouse teams of yester year.