Spears, Canty, Ratliff and Hatcher?

IndianaCowboyFan

The Bullet
Reaction score
KD;1254200 said:
I am sure you have not followed Woodley very close either.

I am glad you are sure because you are very wrong. Purdue wanted him badly and I watched him every chance I got. If he sheds blocks so well why does he trail Spencer for:
TFL - Spencer 26.5, Woodley 15.5
Solo Tackles - Spencer 64, Woodley 25
or does he only shed blocks well but tackle poorly? He played for 4 years, is this the best he can do?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
smarta5150;1254074 said:
Stats arent even close to telling the full story on NFL prospects.

Should I break out a list of number for you on Ryan Leaf... maybe Mike Williams to be a little more up-to-date ??

Oh and about a "surrounding cast," people say we had the best offensive line when we had Emmitt... should his rushing record have an * because his offensive line was dominant?

Im sorry this is weak even considering your wearing your homer uniform.

Stats tell a huge story on a prospect. If you have some measurables that show a different story i am sure we would all love to hear.

Bottom line is that Spencer has made about twice as many plays as Woodley.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
IndianaCowboyFan;1254245 said:
I am glad you are sure because you are very wrong. Purdue wanted him badly and I watched him every chance I got. If he sheds blocks so well why does he trail Spencer for:
or does he only shed blocks well but tackle poorly? He played for 4 years, is this the best he can do?

As you said before... Michigan had a great supporting cast.

Woodley had to "compete" for his stats against other great college players like Branch and Harris.

Also... ever think that teams ran away from Woodley's side?

All possible explanations but I am sure you will counter with some "clever" little numbers to try and support your beliefs.

Like I said earlier tho, this isnt really gonna go anywhere.

You are a Purdue guy and Woodley plays for a Big 10 counterpart in Michigan.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
smarta5150;1254258 said:
As you said before... Michigan had a great supporting cast.

Woodley had to "compete" for his stats against other great college players like Branch and Harris.

Also... ever think that teams ran away from Woodley's side?

All possible explanations but I am sure you will counter with some "clever" little numbers to try and support your beliefs.

Like I said earlier tho, this isnt really gonna go anywhere.

You are a Purdue guy and Woodley plays for a Big 10 counterpart in Michigan.
I'm not sure I've ever seen being surrounded by talent used as a reason for someone underperforming. This is an interesting take. ;)

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
theogt;1254261 said:
I'm not sure I've ever seen being surrounded by talent used as a reason for someone underperforming. This is an interesting take. ;)

Ok. Try this.

Michigan was usually up on teams forcing them into passing situations.

Purdue was usually losing so teams would run the ball for TOP.

Therefor... SPencer had more chances at TFL than Woodley.

Look... we can all BS back and forth so only time will be the true test for who is the better NFL playe.

Then again... it can turn out to be Ware vs Merriman where no one really has the true answer.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
IndianaCowboyFan;1254245 said:

Michigan Oppenents: 278 rushing attemtps.

Purdue Oppenents: 492 rushing attempts.

Maybe that is the reason for the differences.

Try again skippy.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
smarta5150;1254292 said:
All of them.
Point made

your obviously biased and neither of us know who will be better in the NFL

i would bet on you boi but only because his boi doesn't play for michigan.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
J.Jones21;1254297 said:
Point made

your obviously biased and neither of us know who will be better in the NFL

i would bet on you boi but only because his boi doesn't play for michigan.

I already said this.

But I shot down his boys' stats being better than my boys' if you didnt read a few posts higher.

Oh well, looks like he went away for the night.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
smarta5150;1254298 said:
Oh well, looks like he went away for the night.
he.....me?

you shot it down? no its an inate trait of humans to represent their boi's you can't shoot that down

thats all i was sayin

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
smarta5150;1254269 said:
Michigan Oppenents: 278 rushing attemtps.

Purdue Oppenents: 492 rushing attempts.

Maybe that is the reason for the differences.

Try again skippy.

Which would mean that Michigan have seen a significant larger number of passes. Seeing that the two have basically the same number of sacks and Woodley got owned in the pass defenbse department, by your logic Woodley is half the defender against the pass that Spencer is.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1254309 said:
Which would mean that Michigan have seen a significant larger number of passes. Seeing that the two have basically the same number of sacks and Woodley got owned in the pass defenbse department, by your logic Woodley is half the defender against the pass that Spencer is.

If that means 3 more a games... than yes.

Obviously that is NOT significant.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Ok. Its time to put this Spencer vs Woodley debate to bed (cause that is where I am going).

Forced Fumbles - Spencer 5, Woodley 4
Blocked kicks - Spencer 1, Woodley 0
Sacks - Spencer 10.5, Woodley 11

Michigan opponents rushed 278 times.
Purdue opponents rushed 492 times.

Since Purdue faced over 200 more carries it is safe to say this explains Spencer's overwhelming difference in TFL and tackles.

Obviously... the more a team runs the ball, the more oppurtunities for a defenseman to rack up TFLs and tackles.

Agreed?

Michigan opponents passed 443 times.
Purdue opponents passed 432 times.

Passing attempts is virtually even from opposing teams and Woodley had .5 sacks more. No arguement can be made here for one or the other.

So do me and yourselves a favor and throw away the numbers because they dont tell the whole story as you can see.
If you you are a Tony Realli fan then next time you show individual stats be kind enough to show the attempts from opposing teams.

Good night.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
About Hatcher and company, I like what I see from Hatcher. Spending the summer in the offseason program will turn him into a monster. The others, maybe Ratliff , I don't know about Canty and 'Spears, they need more time. But they sure are good at stopping the run.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
smarta5150;1254332 said:
Ok. Its time to put this Spencer vs Woodley debate to bed (cause that is where I am going).

Forced Fumbles - Spencer 5, Woodley 4
Blocked kicks - Spencer 1, Woodley 0
Sacks - Spencer 10.5, Woodley 11

Michigan opponents rushed 278 times.
Purdue opponents rushed 492 times.

Since Purdue faced over 200 more carries it is safe to say this explains Spencer's overwhelming difference in TFL and tackles.

Obviously... the more a team runs the ball, the more oppurtunities for a defenseman to rack up TFLs and tackles.

Agreed?

Michigan opponents passed 443 times.
Purdue opponents passed 432 times.

Passing attempts is virtually even from opposing teams and Woodley had .5 sacks more. No arguement can be made here for one or the other.

So do me and yourselves a favor and throw away the numbers because they dont tell the whole story as you can see.
If you you are a Tony Realli fan then next time you show individual stats be kind enough to show the attempts from opposing teams.

Good night.

Good points.

The run stats actually end up being exactly the same with both guys getting about .05 TFL per run play and .02 sacks per pass play. Its almost uncanny how similar they are statisitically.

One could make an argument that Perdue gave Spencer a lot less help while his defense was on the field for over 15 more plays a game.

IndianaCowboyFan

The Bullet
Reaction score
This reminds me of the "how great is Matt Roth from Iowa debate" I said he was an overrated steroid used and got laughed at by a lot of people here. Where does Matt Roth play today? I cannot remember a single mention from any commentator about how great he has been playing. As for Woodley I guess every play by every opponent ran away from his side of the field. I guess every running play against Purdue must have been run to Spencer's side of the field. The opposing Michigan DE must have twice the stats that Woodley and Spencer have put together.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Dallas 67;1254031 said:
Will these four ever be a force in the NFL or is the potential turning into average? D-Ware could use a little help, don't you think?

In that group are the mediocre 2 namely Canty and Spears. Both highly regarded draft prospects with little ambition, it appears. Hopefully they can take it up another notch. Canty doesn't have to worry anymore if he was a steal. Spears as first round pick is a serious disappointment.

Both can turn it around however. They have the ability.