Speculation: Dix to play free safety

Loso86

Reaction score
Woods is too small (5'11", 195 lbs). His body will wear down laying hits at the Strong Safety position.

Draft Xavier McKinney (6'1", 205 lbs). He's bigger, stronger and is overall a better prospect at Strong Safety.

Quit messing around at the Strong Safety position Cowboys. You've gone cheap (draft and free agency/trade) for many years, yet you have yet to adequately fill the void left since when Darren Woodson retired. Enough already.

Or I guess they could add 10 or 15 pounds to woods...lol

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The real story here isn't putting a guy who plays soft but has a penchant for interceptions at free safety. The story is the Cowboys finally admit that safeties aren't interchangeable and a free safety role actually exists. That is a philosophy change.

Also a departure from the “we like our guys” schtick... nice to see them at least add some starting caliber players to positions in clear need of an upgrade.

Now if they will just add that space eating 1Tech...

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The real story here isn't putting a guy who plays soft but has a penchant for interceptions at free safety. The story is the Cowboys finally admit that safeties aren't interchangeable and a free safety role actually exists. That is a philosophy change.

No kidding. They certainly made it harder than it should be by looking for guys who do both roles at a high level.

HungryLion

Reaction score
While true.....I wish they would've admitted this by drafting someone as opposed to a retread.

They still may. We will see obviously. But it wouldn’t surprise me if they still do in the first 3-4 rounds.

kskboys

Reaction score
Woods is too small (5'11", 195 lbs). His body will wear down laying hits at the Strong Safety position.

Draft Xavier McKinney (6'1", 205 lbs). He's bigger, stronger and is overall a better prospect at Strong Safety.

Quit messing around at the Strong Safety position Cowboys. You've gone cheap (draft and free agency/trade) for many years, yet you have yet to adequately fill the void left since when Darren Woodson retired. Enough already.

Like him, don't love him. He really sounds like more of a 3rd round prospect to me.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I saw that on Twitter seems they’ll move woods to strong safety. I’m curious to see how they approach the draft now.
I'm thinking it takes pressure off of them to invest an early round pick on safety.

Loso86

Reaction score
He was listed @ 5'11", 219 his last year of college. I wonder if he was that heavy or lost weight to play FS in the NFL.
He did I remember hearing about him adjusting to be quicker

ultron

Reaction score
They knew they had a problem last year, that’s why they tried to get Jamal Adams

TwentyOne

Reaction score
woods is a much better strong safety. THIS MAKES SENSE. He isn't afraid to come up and hit. Dix is the polar opposite. True finesse cover OFF SAFETY. Like a center fielder. I DONT MIND THIS AT ALL. Its a fit, until we land a more rounded starter.

I said that last year (woods is better at playing ss). Man was i flamed for it.

Still i think the same way. And whats more i think in todays nfl there is not a lot of difference between a strong and free safety anymore (when it comes to size).