Speculation: Dix to play free safety

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Heard this on 105.3 the fan just a little bit ago.

Haven't watched much of him but maybe this move plays more to his strengths? I thought most teams had played him at SS. Could moving woods to SS boost his production too?

He played FS for most of his career.

Morgan Burnett was the SS for several of those years in GB.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
woods is a much better strong safety. THIS MAKES SENSE. He isn't afraid to come up and hit. Dix is the polar opposite. True finesse cover OFF SAFETY. Like a center fielder. I DONT MIND THIS AT ALL. Its a fit, until we land a more rounded starter.

Woods has not played SS for the Cowboys other than a few snaps his rookie season.

He has played in the box on occasion because they Cowboys flipped the Safeties in some situations (usually to get a coverage matchup).

Woods played more Nickel CB than SS.

As a rookie he would come in at Safety when Byron Jones moved up to cover TEs.

Once Scandrick was out, Woods became the starting Nickel CB.

His tackling from in the box has been very average; however, average is a big improvement over what we saw from Darian Thompson last season as the SS replacement for an injured Heath.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Woods has not played SS for the Cowboys other than a few snaps his rookie season.

He has played in the box on occasion because they Cowboys flipped the Safeties in some situations (usually to get a coverage matchup).

Woods played more Nickel CB than SS.

As a rookie he would come in at Safety when Byron Jones moved up to cover TEs.

Once Scandrick was out, Woods became the starting Nickel CB.

His tackling from in the box has been very average; however, average is a big improvement over what we saw from Darian Thompson last season as the SS replacement for an injured Heath.
hes still a better tackler than dix, which is why we are still drafting a safety...I don't think mm is satisfied.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Why the speculation?
Dix has played FS his entire career.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I sort of see it differently.

We just signed McCoy as a DT.

Where I saw the problem last year was the dropoff of the Lber play with Wolf Hunter being injured and Jaylon being exposed.

Lee played well but expecting a solid season two years in a row is not expected given the past.

The lack of fumbles is also a Lber thing.

So when I talk about stopping big pass plays, being stronger up the middle is what I would want.

I do not know how they are going to handle Wolf Hunter. But it has to probably some sort of platooning. But with whom?

If its moving Lee back to MLBer, more problems maybe. So stiffening the safeties helps pass coverage as well as run defense.

Given all that, Lber also comes into play. Lee is only on a 1 year deal as is Joe Thomas. The tea leaves say look at a LBer early in the draft to me.

But it's not being discussed as the team does not want to tip its direction in picks.

We will see.

Yes we will, I'm not saying my way or the highway, or acting like one position is make or break for this team to get to a SB win.

With multiple needs, to me getting one top player, maybe 2, then having go hope to find the "jewel in the rough" at pick 82 or 123 should not be their strategy. Dallas would be better served getting 3 very good players rather than one future HOF player, maybe a several time Pro Bowler but the rest forgettable lower echelon players..

Last edited: