Speculation: Dix to play free safety

WeDemBoyz

Reaction score
SS Haha Clinton-Dix / Xavier Woods
FS Grant Delpit / Darrin Thompson

2 coverage safeties at both Safety positions.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We all have our opinions..

but safety has been a black hole since Woody left.

If we have the chance to finally rebuild this long overdue defense on the backend..

I say do it and just keep looking for FA DLs.

We have to stop the big plays downfield and force the big plays out of the game plan.

How many times did the defense play well and force a 3rd and 12 only to see it get completed for 20+ yds? A lot and way too often.

The defensive pass rush can be helped by blitzing Lbers and DBs, too.

Just my overall thinking.

Cowboys were actually one of the better teams at stopping big plays down the field. That's not their problem. There problems was not generating turnovers and getting off the field on key downs. They need to improve defensive line and there's a few guys at 17 that can do that.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
This to me is one of the drafts where the Cowboys will, and should, go BPA on the defensive side of the ball, whether it be cb or safety or DT. Never know when they'll be a run on a certain position, which also affects the draft. If Dallas needs a cb and the top ones are flying off the board in the first 16, then at 17 take a cb. If it's about even, then bpa at either.

But really Dallas has so many needs it'd be hard for them to mess up this draft, either offense or defense.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Players aside, I'm hoping that even if Dallas doesn't make big moves in free agency or make draft picks, the coaching changes will improve the team. I got so tired of the critical penalties, watching the DE blasting inside only to see the quarterback slip out into the flat and run for a first down or buy time for a throw or the dbs looking at each other in bewilderment as a receiver is clear for a touchdown.

Also tired of watching Jarwin being wasted on the sideline, or the DEs missing a sack by a half second.

This team does have talent, it's been wasted the last few years. Hopefully that will change this year....

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Cowboys were actually one of the better teams at stopping big plays down the field. That's not their problem. There problems was not generating turnovers and getting off the field on key downs. They need to improve defensive line and there's a few guys at 17 that can do that.
I sort of see it differently.

We just signed McCoy as a DT.

Where I saw the problem last year was the dropoff of the Lber play with Wolf Hunter being injured and Jaylon being exposed.

Lee played well but expecting a solid season two years in a row is not expected given the past.

The lack of fumbles is also a Lber thing.

So when I talk about stopping big pass plays, being stronger up the middle is what I would want.

I do not know how they are going to handle Wolf Hunter. But it has to probably some sort of platooning. But with whom?

If its moving Lee back to MLBer, more problems maybe. So stiffening the safeties helps pass coverage as well as run defense.

Given all that, Lber also comes into play. Lee is only on a 1 year deal as is Joe Thomas. The tea leaves say look at a LBer early in the draft to me.

But it's not being discussed as the team does not want to tip its direction in picks.

We will see.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I sort of see it differently.

We just signed McCoy as a DT.

Where I saw the problem last year was the dropoff of the Lber play with Wolf Hunter being injured and Jaylon being exposed.

Lee played well but expecting a solid season two years in a row is not expected given the past.

The lack of fumbles is also a Lber thing.

So when I talk about stopping big pass plays, being stronger up the middle is what I would want.

I do not know how they are going to handle Wolf Hunter. But it has to probably some sort of platooning. But with whom?

If its moving Lee back to MLBer, more problems maybe. So stiffening the safeties helps pass coverage as well as run defense.

Given all that, Lber also comes into play. Lee is only on a 1 year deal as is Joe Thomas. The tea leaves say look at a LBer early in the draft to me.

But it's not being discussed as the team does not want to tip its direction in picks.

We will see.
Oh I agree too. This is all contingent on LVE and Jaylon getting back to form. If they don't.....we are in trouble. No way around it.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
This to me is one of the drafts where the Cowboys will, and should, go BPA on the defensive side of the ball, whether it be cb or safety or DT. Never know when they'll be a run on a certain position, which also affects the draft. If Dallas needs a cb and the top ones are flying off the board in the first 16, then at 17 take a cb. If it's about even, then bpa at either.

But really Dallas has so many needs it'd be hard for them to mess up this draft, either offense or defense.

I would like to see us go back to BPA drafting again.

I would also like to see us move back in the 1st and then trade up in the 2nd and pickup some additional picks.

If we have our 1st two picks at say 25 and in the 2nd rd we add one to our other 2nd round pick..

we could have 3 picks in the first 2 rds and find 3 starters for defense.

Forget offense in the draft unless somebody just plummets out of the 1st Rd and we move up to get them.

I would also consider trading a high 2021 pick to ove up in 2020.

If we do better than 8-8 in 2020, that high draft pick in 2021 is worth less and less to us. Like when we traded for Cooper. Oakland ended up with less value on that trade becuz it was made when we were 3-5 and ended up 10-6.

Let's do that again. It was mucho delicious.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Heard this on 105.3 the fan just a little bit ago.

Haven't watched much of him but maybe this move plays more to his strengths? I thought most teams had played him at SS. Could moving woods to SS boost his production too?

So we played Heath out of position at SS for years to develop Woods at FS only to move him to SS when Heath leaves?

Outstanding.

slick325

Reaction score
Haha takes horrific angles. He is an upgrade but he definitely doesn't keep me from drating Delpit or McKinney in the 1st should Kinlaw not be available. Or Dugger in the 2nd.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I said that last year (woods is better at playing ss). Man was i flamed for it.

Still i think the same way. And whats more i think in todays nfl there is not a lot of difference between a strong and free safety anymore (when it comes to size).
I been saying the same thing.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Watching how HaHa move and diagnosis what's in front of he would be much better at FS. I view Woods as the #3 S who can fill in at either spot, play some slot too.

DAL still could use a legit SS and they might draft a guy (Dugger/Chinn), but a veteran would be cool to help stabilize the back end.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Last edited:

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Not really accurate.

Heath is a stiff athlete. He can't change directions w/o breaking down. In layman's terms, that means he has to throttle down majorly just to change directions. It's not bad angles(That's what the TV spewers say because they don't know), it's the inability to cut to stay w/ the play. The game is not too fast for him at all. If Heath possessed lateral agility, he'd be a top 10 starting S.

If the guy coming at him made any kind of move, Heath didn't have the ability to "break down" and change directions to stay in front of the guy.

Well i think we dont have agree on the details. Still we both know Heath sucks and he should not start on a 2nd level college team.