Sports Fan Pet Peeves

Xelda

Reaction score
Rule 1 Cowboys are my 1 and only team. Rule 2, My second favorite team always depend on how it affects the Cowboys. rule 3 My 3rd favorite team is who ever Houston is playing unless if falls under rule 2. lol
This is how I root as well, except replace Houston with the Packers, Steelers, Saints, Eagles, Giants, 49ers and any other team that I feel special animosity towards in a particular season.

I am guilty of many of the dislikes on Dylan's list.

Xelda

Reaction score
- Superstitious fans who believe in jinxes, curses, or luck in a supernatural sense. I have my lucky outfits. If they lose when I'm wearing it, then I'll change to my new lucky outfit.
- Fans who cheer injuries. Just when Aaron Rodgers went down... and Jordan Hicks.
- Fans who leave early. Some people are allergic to traffic jams.
- Fans who blame the refs. It's either the refs or coaching. Coaching will get it later. Refs get it now.
- Fans who complain about every call. Only calls against the Cowboys.
- Fans who think there’s a conspiracy against their team. There is and I'm looking at you, Goodell!
- Fans who insult and cuss at players at live games. Then, (bonus!) play the victim when the player checks them. Now that one's just funny and should be part of the half time show.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LEGOOOOOOOOOO.gif
What the bleep am I watching?

I have watched this nonstop for about four minutes. Seriously.

Humans...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- Fans with multiple teams.
I used to talk about something similar to this particular example way back when on the DMN board and after migrating here. Many tangible things are considered wholes but an intangible concept like fandom is considered an 'exception'. Let's look at some tangibles:

• Pie. Divide a pie into two equal pieces. Two halves. Four pieces? Four quarters. Etc., etc.
  • Container. Fill a glass halfway with water and the other half of the glass is still empty.
  • Air. We breathe basically 21% oxygen and 78% nitrogen. Remove oxygen from air and what happens? Death.
Those are tangibles that are 100% of a quantity. Remove something from it and you are left with less than 100%. One can duplicate a tangible but the result would be an addition to what currently exists. Two pies are two pies, not one pie. Pour 32 liters of water into a 20 ounces cup and end up with a 12-ounce puddle. Up the percentage of oxygen in the air and wildfires become super wildfires.

All these things make sense but tell some people they are a half-fan because they admit being a fan of two different teams of a mutual league, conferences, etc., and the term is taken as an insult. Of course, it is not an insult. It is truth. Scenario. Two teams play each other. A fan identifies with both teams equally. Does the fan root:

• 100% for Team A and 100% for Team B? or
  • 50% for Team A and 50% for Team B?
Logically, the latter is correct. No one is cheering 200% for anything since all effort equals 100%. Two equal portions create a single whole. Half-fan.

ah. The good old days. lol.

/mini-rant